Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:23:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat is a hardcore gamer exactly?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What is a hardcore gamer exactly?  (Read 7174 times)
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »

What if casual games are too hardcore for me?

Then the universe will implode.
Calanctus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 08:33:29 PM »

Chris Bateman considers the hardcore gamers (as opposed to casual ones) those who have made a hobby out of gaming.
I like this definition. However, like others in this thread, I do not like the terms "hardcore" or "gamer."
Tondog
Level 0

Weighted Companion Cube

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 12:04:12 AM »

Non-gamer?
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »

Non-gamer?

Perhaps. But there's a lot of things that I do enjoy in games. I enjoy the story, the characters, the environments, the soundscape, the music, interacting with a virtual world. Etcetera. I just don't enjoy challenge. I like games when they are so easy that I never fail. I would spend a lot of time on those if they existed. I would be a hardcore non-gamer.  Huh?

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 09:18:23 PM »

I like games when they are so easy that I never fail.

Play Spider-Man: Friend or Foe :D

Seriously. You "die" but it doesn't really matter, you can just keep playing.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 07:19:11 PM »

I loved those LucasArts adventure games, the ones where you can't lose (When point+click adventure game makers decide to put death in their game, a little piece of me falls off and dies). They're great, because you can take your time, look around, talk to people, and generally relax while you think of solutions to the puzzles. you can even leave the game running and get something to eat.

Adventure games are very relaxing Grin I think even non-gamers can get something out of them. They're not easy, but you can't lose.

EDIT: well, you can give up, but that doesn't count  Roll Eyes

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 02:11:32 AM »

You can also get stuck in adventure games. Because they are usually linear. And often force the story to fit with that structure. This means you can easily get stuck when one of the steps in the thread simply seems illogical to you. Then the only thing that is left to do is try each and every option available. That's when adventure games disappoint me. And that's also when they lose the casual gamer, I think.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 03:16:04 AM »

I would define a "hardcore gamer" (as much as I have to add, of course, that I hate such Peter Moore-speak) as one who doesn't tell the difference between the many and unvaried games they play, because they don't give a shit about what they are actually playing, just so long as they *are* playing.

I went home for Christmas this year, excitedly showing off Super Mario Galaxy to my brother; he just barely finished the first 'tutorial galaxy' when he proclaimed, "I'm bored, I want to play Call of Duty 4." He then went on to his normal rotation of COD4, Halo 3, Gears of War and (his only saving grace) TF2. Angry

All day. Angry

Every day. Angry

Angry

olücæbelel
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 04:07:02 AM »

Angry

All FPS all the time, now that is "hardcore" :D

When it boils down to it though the entire concept of hardcore vs. casual gamer is quite ridiculous. I mean why don't we designate people who watch movies on a regular basis and analyze them as "hardcore" moviegoers? Is there a casual vs. hardcore book reader debate? The whole concept is nonsense. You either play games or not it's as simple as that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:18:24 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 04:26:48 AM »

You can also get stuck in adventure games. Because they are usually linear. And often force the story to fit with that structure. This means you can easily get stuck when one of the steps in the thread simply seems illogical to you. Then the only thing that is left to do is try each and every option available. That's when adventure games disappoint me. And that's also when they lose the casual gamer, I think.
That's the creator's fault, not the genre's.

I went home for Christmas this year, excitedly showing off Super Mario Galaxy to my brother; he just barely finished the first 'tutorial galaxy' when he proclaimed, "I'm bored, I want to play Call of Duty 4." He then went on to his normal rotation of COD4, Halo 3, Gears of War and (his only saving grace) TF2. Angry
What's wrong with that?  Undecided nothing wrong with personal preference. No game is going to appeal to everyone.

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2007, 08:39:21 AM »

Is there a casual vs. hardcore book reader debate? The whole concept is nonsense. You either play games or not it's as simple as that.

And that's exactly where things get a bit strange. Because you don't either read books or not. And you don't either watch movies or not. Instead you have a preference for certain books and certain movies.

Maybe that's the real meaning of casual and hardcore: they are two types of games. And as such they attract two different types of players.

And this is perhaps why there's so many people who don't play games: two types is just too little. We need more variation.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 11:33:57 AM »

I can agree with that to a certain extent.

The problem is that when you cater specifically to people's tastes within a given genre you neglect many of the unique things inherent in games. For instance there are plenty of games that are a synthesis of two different genres, however, it is rare, but not completely uncommon, to have movies and books achieve that same degree of synthesis. I don't see many romantic/horror/comedies around (but then again I am sure the odds are there is one out there) the point is though that people that play games tend to be more varied in their tastes. Maybe that is why it is easier to for some people to distinguish people who play games in the way that they play them and not the games that they play themselves.

spellcaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2007, 11:46:42 AM »

The comparison with books is good, but there are some differences.

If I read a book with a complex storyline, and then have to stop reading for a while I can simple skip over the last couple of pages to remember what just happened. And there's no need for any kind of decision on my side - I can simply read on.

if I have a game with a complex story line, this normally means that I also have a lot of different goals. I can't skim over the last events to get back into the game. I need to go on, need to remember in detail what parts of what quest (in rpgs) I have already finished and where to go for. That's a reason I never finishef FF VII for example - after a pause of 1 week I was completely lost at the safepoint Wink

I think there's a "casual friendly" attribute one can assign to games. Which basically means how easy it is to start the game, play a while, turn off the game - and later on return to the game to play a bit more.
I'm pretty sure that even some "hardcore" games are pretty casual friendly in this regard.
The other thing that needs to be considered is the learning curve and work/reward ratio. But this is something very fuzzy I haven't really thought through Wink

I am not sure if there are certain game genre that can't be made casual friendly. Some genres might take more thought than others, though. But I think the trend will be that all games will be more casual friendly.
It's like the old command based interfaces were replaced by menus, menus by GUIs and GUIs by user friendly GUIs Wink

The trend is already there.
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 02:39:04 AM »

[...]
there are plenty of games that are a synthesis of two different genres
[...]
people that play games tend to be more varied in their tastes

I don't see it that way. From where I stand, there's not even, such a big difference between casual games and hardcore games, let alone between an RTS and an FPS. They have extremely similar structures and often deal with similar themes. I think there is more variation within a single movie, book or music genre than within the entire offering of games.

We can see all these subtle differences because we start with a lot of assumptions about the medium. We're incredibly prejudiced and have very clearly defined expectations from games. And within that very narrow field, we see lots of variation. But from the outside, they're all just games and they're all very similar.
Once in a while a game jumps out that is clearly different (Nintendogs, Sims, Braintraining, Singstar, Guitar Hero) and then suddenly the audience at large notices it. But the difference between Katamari Damacy, Crysis and Bejeweled is far too subtle.

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 02:54:57 AM »

Now that genres have been mentioned in this thread, I think it is vital that everyone reads Chris Bateman's article on "Demographic Game Design". In this 8 page report conducted at International Hobo, he identifies 4 types of players, each of which has a preference for certain game genres. And within each type there is a hardcore and a casual subtype. I find it a very useful analyis.

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 05:01:28 AM »

Chris Bateman's article on "Demographic Game Design". In this 8 page report conducted at International Hobo, he identifies 4 types of players, each of which has a preference for certain game genres. And within each type there is a hardcore and a casual subtype. I find it a very useful analyis.

According to that, I'm a hardcore wanderer.  Which seems a contradiction in terms, but the description fits me perfectly, including the dubious Myers-Briggs bit (I always score as INFP).

I think a better term for it would be "Knytt fans who want to save Curly but can't beat Hell."

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic