Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:48:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Everyday is joyful fun! 3D collection (FINAL)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Everyday is joyful fun! 3D collection (FINAL)  (Read 20858 times)
Kaworu Nagisa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!  Droop

Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »

Looks awesome! Gentleman

Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »

This might seem like a silly question, but I can't seem to find the download link.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:32 PM »

That's great!!

Works in blender 2.5, btw.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Ipsquiggle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »

Good choice on the modular blocks. I'll be disappointed is someone doesn't use them.

They might be a little better if you reduce the 'block height', so that the ramps aren't so steep. Then you could have those purple road peices go down the slope too.  Shrug
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »

Also, edge pieces that wrap around towards the bottom would be nice so you could have floating platforms that didn't just cut off at a point if that makes any sense.
Rynen10K
Level 1

can't be beat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »

Nice.

Almost makes me want to get back into 3D again. ALMOST.

How do the tiles work? I've never really done / seen any development process for 3D games, I was just kinda curious.
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 02:37:14 AM »

Good choice on the modular blocks. I'll be disappointed is someone doesn't use them.

They might be a little better if you reduce the 'block height', so that the ramps aren't so steep. Then you could have those purple road peices go down the slope too.  Shrug

That's not a bad idea at all! I had forgotten that the roads also need to climb.

Also, edge pieces that wrap around towards the bottom would be nice so you could have floating platforms that didn't just cut off at a point if that makes any sense.

Also a decent idea.  Smiley

This might seem like a silly question, but I can't seem to find the download link.

I actually haven't posted one for any of the files yet. Perhaps I should post the in progress .blend/.psd files at the front of the page? When I submit everything, I'll convert to .OBJ and .PNG.

Nice.

Almost makes me want to get back into 3D again. ALMOST.

How do the tiles work? I've never really done / seen any development process for 3D games, I was just kinda curious.

These tiles all fit to a grid, so when the programmer takes them, they'll quickly align to each other. The benefit of a tile is similar to a 2D game, uses less memory as opposed to building the entire unique scene with its own unique texture, and the programmer/designer can make any landscape they want.

Thanks for the comments folk.  Beer!

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
dertom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 05:10:22 AM »

Dude,...very cool work.

Check out my game "Wood Games 3D" |  TrailerAndroid |
twitter: tomaga95
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »

I figured I'd put this up. This is how the tiles are coming along. I don't think I will change the style dramatically, but I'd be happy to field some critiques. I'm gonna have to taper this off soon ... not much longer left in the month.  Droop

Still not a lot of 3D stuff showing up in the contest yet. Let me know if any of ya'll have some general category requests.  Beg

Dave Matney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »

I figured I'd put this up. This is how the tiles are coming along. I don't think I will change the style dramatically, but I'd be happy to field some critiques. I'm gonna have to taper this off soon ... not much longer left in the month.  Droop

Still not a lot of 3D stuff showing up in the contest yet. Let me know if any of ya'll have some general category requests.  Beg

I like it.  I feel like the lowest level (yellow grass?) needs a bit more contrast, but it has a good feel to it.

"Have we grown so hard we can't feel right or wrong, or have we grown so cold we just don't care?" - Dave Matney
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »

Looking good. I really want to use these. I think you should pick a theme and make more assets related to it. Like, prop assets for a specific locale or something, so that they are consistent. Since theres not many other 3d assets being made, i think you should try to complete a full set of thematically consistent objects.

I really like the untextured/AO style!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:05:48 AM by Ivan » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 12:23:56 PM »

I really like the untextured look as well.

It looks like candy. Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »

I was thinking 'paper' - it reminds me of a book I had as a child with instructions and patterns to make all kinds of models out of coloured paper.

So, nostalgia.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »

I was thinking 'paper' - it reminds me of a book I had as a child with instructions and patterns to make all kinds of models out of coloured paper.

So, nostalgia.

Yup.
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »

Looking good. I really want to use these. I think you should pick a theme and make more assets related to it. Like, prop assets for a specific locale or something, so that they are consistent. Since theres not many other 3d assets being made, i think you should try to complete a full set of thematically consistent objects.

I really like the untextured/AO style!

My little secret is that I am picking stuff I see where I live in Japan as the inspiration for all this. I live near rice fields, so this is a "rice field" centric terrain. I agree with you, any more terrain type, deco stuffs will hold onto the papery look.

I'm really fighting time here though. I imagine that I might be able to get two or three more assets done before the end of this month. These tiles were a massive time sink (but really worth it).

I'm happy you like the untextured AO style. Sure beats texturing everything.  WTF

Not too major, but I'll put this up here ... just UVing and baking AO on all the tiles. I've decided to bake the AO with a subtle blue hue, so the tiles will look nicer when lit with some yellow light. I haven't combined the AO with the diffuse map yet. Also, I will admit, on these tiles especially, I'm really lazy/quick/dirty in maximizing texture space and polygon count. Since I'm not hand texturing, I've used Auto UVing ... since each tile is an entire block, the unseen faces of the block are also getting UV'd, thus, taking up texture space. Maybe, these will be done tonight ... tonight or tomorrow.

I realized this too late. I don't think I'm gonna fix it because I at this point, I'd say quantity is bit more important that anal-quality. Unless this is really going to bother some of the programmers. Let me know if its an issue. I'm hoping most engines and hardware are strong enough to muscle through some kinda unoptimized 3D assets  Wink

*edit - ha, I lied ... went back and modified the UVs to maximize visible texture space.. yay!  Coffee
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:21:21 AM by +peter » Logged

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 07:17:31 AM »

Alright, I'm forking this one. I've finally gotten these tiles to a point where I think they can acceptably create a landscape. There are a few remaining issues, mostly involving obvious breaks in the normals between tiles, and some inconsistent AO transitions. But I'm pretty happy  Smiley

(shots are realtime using the Blender game engine)

Actually learned quite a bit from this Tired but I'm ready to move onto something else .. maybe some trees? Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:16:11 PM by +peter » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2009, 07:32:25 AM »

Yay 3D. Hope to see more of this

dubajj
Level 0

gimmeeee your art

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »

Love the look, I am definitely gonna get my hands on these.  Will you just be offering the blender file, or a .x, or fbx?

How about some simple 'paper' looking houses or buildings?

Tree's would be nice, maybe also a rock that could fit on a tile? (to obstruct a path)
Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 10:22:53 AM »

I don't think there have been any 3d people made for the competition, so you could try to make one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic