Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:56:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeEscaping your craft, or how to you make what you do fun.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Escaping your craft, or how to you make what you do fun.  (Read 4496 times)
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 01:38:34 PM »

One thing I noticed was that taking a "break" from a project that's jarring is to just start making whatever you want to get the creative juices flowing.

I had this idea for a easy-to-use ragdoll-creation class and a game mechanic I've wanted to try for a while, but I'm working on a bigger game and the development on that one is kind of slowing down. I got into the flow almost immediately and ~12h later I snapped back to reality with some very good stuff for the future.

And after that I was back in the "game development state of mind" and my jarring project started moving faster again.
BearCDP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 07:51:47 AM »

I'm also getting my undergraduate degree in Theory & Composition, hoping to write music & implement sound for games. However, I'm also a programmer. It seems as though my hobby projects will alternate between music and programming; spend too much time doing either and I end up craving the other. This past summer, my dad got me a job writing software at his company, and they put me on a little R&D project. I learned so much every day about OOP (we implemented our part of the system in Java) and networking for those 2 months that I never got bored with it. Now, having totally binged on programming over the summer, I've found I've been prolific in my composition this semester. So for me, as long as I'm learning new something on whatever hobby project I'm working on, that apparently can keep me going for a while.

Just wanted to share, this is an interesting thread.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic