Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:59:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOff-Road Velociraptor Safari
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Off-Road Velociraptor Safari  (Read 8322 times)
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »

This is a rough build, but we're on track to finish up in about a week more of development.  This is designed as a web game.  The main mode will be a timed scoring optimization exercise.  Currently there are a few problems, one of which is performance.  Still!  We'd love to hear any feedback on the controls, what's fun for you, etc.

Web Version:  http://www.flashbangstudios.com/tests/raptorpreview/

And a standalone build (please play the web player first, though, and then this if performance is too assy):

Any and all feedback welcome!  Hit us up.  What was the coolest thing you did?  The most frustrating?  What do you wish you could do?

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »

Just the name of this game makes me happy.

It lags on my comp in the web browser though.

Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 02:55:58 PM »

Dude,

Where's the standalone Mac version?  :-)

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »

Oh yeah, the standalone version lags when looking at raptor hordes for me.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 02:59:58 PM »

-I don't know if it's my computer but I find the car too difficult to drive, steers like crazy
-too much popping of objects. It's annoying when it has an impact on the trajectory of the car
-I know they are velociraptors but some people might get annoyed by the gratuitous cruelty mixed with the cretinism of the concept(OMG CAR WITH SPIKED BALL! KILL THINGS! FUN LIKE XBOX).

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 04:10:30 PM »

-I know they are velociraptors but some people might get annoyed by the gratuitous cruelty mixed with the cretinism of the concept(OMG CAR WITH SPIKED BALL! KILL THINGS! FUN LIKE XBOX).

You know, it's weird.  I've played tons of violent games, and I don't usually feel bad about this stuff, but I somehow felt uneasy about using the spike ball on the raptors.  I think it's because they're not at all aggressive.  They're absolutely no threat, and just try to run away to survive.  Then you attack them with a giant spiked ball?  Then slam it into them to haul their carcass back...  It feels cruel.   Their colors kinda make them look friendly too.

Fun mechanics though.  Because I felt uneasy about killing the raptors, I just spent my time trying to two wheel.  I only got up to 4.9 seconds, but I think I can go much further.  I think I got a glimpse into how to keep it up for a long while.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 04:34:31 PM »

I have to second Sega's observation. I felt weirdly uneasy killing these friendly creatures. I think it's partially because of the way they run that makes them really cute. Though it would be equally as strange trying to make them meaner so that killing them would be feel more pleasant.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 04:36:54 PM by toastie » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 05:51:55 PM »

Yeah, we've heard this quite a bit--people don't like killing them because they aren't posing a threat.  Initially we wanted them to be aggressive but didn't work out a solution in the development timeframe.

Oh, and the standalone/web links are (accidentally) different content.  The standalone will run much faster just because it has like 1/20th the raptors.  Whoops!  I'll fix that next time I'm in the office.

Matthew Wegner
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Zaphos
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »

This is a rough build, but we're on track to finish up in about a week more of development.  This is designed as a web game.  The main mode will be a timed scoring optimization exercise.  Currently there are a few problems, one of which is performance.  Still!  We'd love to hear any feedback on the controls, what's fun for you, etc.

And a standalone build (please play the web player first, though, and then this if performance is too assy):

Any and all feedback welcome!  Hit us up.  What was the coolest thing you did?  The most frustrating?  What do you wish you could do?
I didn't play the web version (some plugin required, I don't know); the standalone one seemed to perform okay (but I guess 1/20 raptors will do that).  It did seem to lag for a few seconds one time during a 'round', when I was spiking a raptor, but perhaps that was a fluke.

Here's a big disorganized list of thoughts had while playing:
 * The length of one round is probably too long; to really get players hooked to a high score game I think you need to give them a reasonably quick cycle of feedback.  Although there also doesn't seem to be a high score table or anything yet, so I'm not sure how it'll feel when it's done.
 * There's no time-reward for good performance also, which makes the timer countdown feel like the frustrating inevitability of a game demo, where it's not really a part of the game and you're supposed to want to pay someone to make it go away.  If I had much less time to begin with, but got 'time bonuses' for scoring well, I think the overall game would feel a lot more satisfying.
 * The way the car controls feels really odd
 * The points seem to be weighted such that the only 'real' rewarded action is killing raptors and delivering them to the base?  But stuff like jumping or riding on two wheels is actually about as fun, so I think that could be rewarded more significantly as well.
 * As mentioned, the game is creepy!  There's no motivation, no threat, just a situational implication that the player should go kill the raptors, and then a point-reward for doing so.  Even if you're not going to make the raptors aggressive, I would try to give some explanation for why the player is out there killing raptors.  I don't expect anything serious, but you could have a lot of fun with something really over-the-top cheesy.  It would fit well with the name and aesthetic too.
 * The slow mo is satisfying but it's still lacking a little bit of *something* when you score points, and I think doing something with the sound effects when the player gets points would really add to the experience.  Perhaps a cheesy announcer voice would work, and would not be too hard to add.
 * In general the sound effects are very 'gentle' -- for example, if I land a crazy jump from off a hill by ramming a tree, I still just get this dinky clank -- and this isn't as satisfying as it could be.  The game has a lot of the raw redneck appeal of a demolition derby, and I think more satisfying, crunchy sound effects could add a lot to that side of it.  (BurnOut-like car destruction would also add a lot, but is presumably beyond the 'scope' of this project)
 * The level of draw-in for plants is very noticeable and I think most computers could render quite a bit more than that.  Have you tried doing any LOD stuff?  Or perhaps adjusting that draw distance outward if you notice the computer isn't having any trouble drawing what you give it?
 * It seems like fog is being used on the mountains (hills?) to make them fade away to white, but up against a blue sky it doesn't disguise the limited draw distance at all, and just looks kind of strange, like the hills are foggy but the rest of the world isn't.  It also looks pretty funny when the mountains are clipped because just slight turning can dramatically change their shape at this point (as the intersection between the draw plane and the landscape changes).  I would try to push the zfar plane out far enough that the mountains are just never actually clipped.  Actually, you could do this without extending the draw distance too much, if you could intelligently clip beyond the 'top' of the hill ...
 * I think I managed to run in to an invisible wall at the top of some hills; it seems the terrain is randomly generated so it would be good to, er, not have an invisible wall, or at least to push it further out and make the mountains steep enough nearby so that the player can't reach it.
 * Trees on steep hills don't always have their entire base within the hill; they sort of float half-lodged in the hill.
 * When doing a long jump from a hill, the game sometimes decides to move the camera under the car so all I can see is the car underbelly and the sky; it's disconcerting and perhaps the least interesting view for enjoying the jump.
 * The game is very numbers-focused, in terms of listing rewards, but the way numbers are written, where "500" becomes "50 (large amount of blank space) 0," is disconcerting and actually makes me misread numbers at first glance.
 * I do enjoy the category records (longest jump, etc) and enjoy thinking about how to do better in a given category, but the overall score seems basically superfluous.  (Much shorter rounds and a high score table would help a lot with this!)  Interestingly, this means the activity the game deems most worthy of reward, capturing raptors, is the least satisfying, since it has the least room for personal improvement in technique.
 * The game has a very nice sandbox sort of appeal to it, but doesn't yet seem to have all that much in its sandbox.  If you could think of more strange things to reward, it might add to the longevity of the experience.  I noticed it doesn't seem possible to 'roll' the car, but rolling might be another fun thing to reward if you can tweak the physics model to allow it.  (Counting the number of times the car has flipped in quick succession)
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 07:03:44 PM »

I downloaded the downloadable version and... it ran really badly. This is pretty annoying, because I absolutely love the concept.

I spawned near an egg and a round beam thing, and I pushed the egg into the beam, and it got raised off the ground as if something was going to happen. Nothing happened. ever. I didn't see a single velociraptor. Trees were popping into my face giving me absolutely no time to react. Huge lag spikes kept occurring. I was running it at 640*480 resolution.

My PC:
2.4GHz
768 MB RAM
Radeon 9550

Zaphos
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 07:30:23 PM »

I downloaded the downloadable version and... it ran really badly. This is pretty annoying, because I absolutely love the concept.

I spawned near an egg and a round beam thing, and I pushed the egg into the beam, and it got raised off the ground as if something was going to happen. Nothing happened. ever. I didn't see a single velociraptor. Trees were popping into my face giving me absolutely no time to react. Huge lag spikes kept occurring. I was running it at 640*480 resolution.

My PC:
2.4GHz
768 MB RAM
Radeon 9550
Weird; your computer is better than mine, except that I have more RAM.  I have an nVidia card, perhaps that's the difference?  That computer definitely sounds like it should be capable ...

The egg isn't really supposed to do anything as far as I know, though.  It was confusing to me too that it gets raised up but doesn't go anywhere.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 06:36:57 AM »

My initial thoughts:

It would be great if you could roll your jeep, possibly only in multiples of 1 complete roll only, and if the game acknowledges a roll (or even better a DOUBLE ROLL) that would be great.  Also if it could acknowledge a combo of roll + dinosaur squish.

Which brings me to dinosaur killing  There needs to be more stuff to squish, and more ways to kill dinosaurs other than just hitting them.  Exploding barrels?  ways to incorporate running into stacks of things to use the physics to cause dinosaurs to die in great, somewhat rube goldbergan ways would be fantastic.

And finally, particle effect blood!  Lots of it on dinosaur death?  Possibly segment their corposes into different gibs models a la Rune?

Those are my ideas.  Very cool base, and it'd be great with more elements.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 09:54:44 AM »

The web version lags horribly for me. The downloadable version works fine, but oddly enough, I can't find any raptors.
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 11:03:03 AM »

The downloadable version only has one batch of raptors (left of your starting position).  We forgot to check in the new raptor layout to source control before we left the office, and I built the standalone on a laptop at home.

Matthew Wegner
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 04:46:28 PM »

There's a new version up, with better handling (both driving and throwing) and initial optimizations.

Or standalone (but test web if you can):

Windows
Mac OS

Matthew Wegner
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 05:29:51 PM »

Ah, it's good the raptors don't spawn so close together now.  But overall, I didn't enjoy this version as much as the last.  You had to drive at higher speeds to perform two-wheeling and sideswiping.  This means that my favorite past-time, two-wheeling, was harder to get started, and thus I did it a lot less.  It also slowed things down when chasing dinos, as I had to drive back further sometimes to get a running start.

I know people complained about flipping on the side too much, so you made the turning wider.  But perhaps it would be better if you flipped completely over, making it easier to keep driving immediately.  Or that could get annoying too.  I don't know.  I just like the sharper turns, not only because of the two-wheeling, but because it made the driving feel crazier, and more exciting.  I think flipping completely over, and allowing the user to keep driving immediately could add to that feeling.  I don't know.

Since it's a lot harder to practice two-wheeling, I don't know yet if the stunt scoring is more balanced with the raptor killing.

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 08:05:01 PM »

Ah, this version runs MUCH faster.  Grin Really, my only nitpicks right now are:

• The slo-mo whenever you slam a raptor or pull a cool jump is kinda entertaining the first few times you see it, but it gets annoying fast. Maybe have the option to toggle it on/off?
  • It's kind of frustrating when you're towing a raptor and it just falls off because it hit a tree.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 01:13:17 AM »

So I was just spinning around trying to do a 2 wheel thing when alluvasudden I guess I ran over my ball or something and got stuck in the ground. Like, it just got stuck, man. Like one-and-a-haff feet deep. I couldn't get out and, there being no button to reposition oneself in a more opportune place, had to reload the game. Otherwise great fun...
erm, yeah.

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 01:24:51 AM »

So I was just spinning around trying to do a 2 wheel thing when alluvasudden I guess I ran over my ball or something and got stuck in the ground. Like, it just got stuck, man. Like one-and-a-haff feet deep. I couldn't get out and, there being no button to reposition oneself in a more opportune place, had to reload the game. Otherwise great fun...
erm, yeah.

That's the timer--game is set to 10 minutes, and it just kills the jeep suspension.  Check the lower-right.

Matthew Wegner
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »

Ah, I was unaware. Embarrassed