Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:50:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Oryx - LOFI Fantasy 2D/3D [FINAL]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Oryx - LOFI Fantasy 2D/3D [FINAL]  (Read 315482 times)
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 09:54:53 PM »

You don't have a thief class?  Sad

Heh, you could just use the "bandit" sprite - any of these things can be anything Smiley
Although I'll add a blue costumed bandit guy that can be a Thief in the next rev - maybe I'll flesh out more classes too - paladins, necromancers, etc.

edit:
*updated*
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:08:58 PM by oryx » Logged
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »

Needs golems, possibly ogres too.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 01:05:12 AM »

Needs golems, possibly ogres too.

done! will be in the next upload.
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »

Seeing this, I just want to skip the compo, and start working with this right away. The only thing keeping me, is the fact that there might be more awesome stuff apearing from you later. :D

Follow The Flying Thing, my current project.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24421.0
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »

Whoa, I just realized that these tiles are 8x8. Which means that the sprites could be displayed on a Meggy Jr RGB, something like the roguelike I built for the Meggy back in March:

I don't think it would work for the compo, although I guess I am allowed to render individual pixels as a programmer? But regardless I think I'll be using these to build an expanded Meggy project of some kind! Maybe when I get home I'll post some of these sprites as rendered on a Meggy Jr.

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »

Whoa, I just realized that these tiles are 8x8. Which means that the sprites could be displayed on a Meggy Jr RGB, something like the roguelike I built for the Meggy back in March:

I don't think it would work for the compo, although I guess I am allowed to render individual pixels as a programmer? But regardless I think I'll be using these to build an expanded Meggy project of some kind! Maybe when I get home I'll post some of these sprites as rendered on a Meggy Jr.

I'd love to see it rendered on that Smiley Although I'm not quite sure how you could do a whole game if 1 sprite takes up the entire screen?
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

I'd love to see it rendered on that Smiley Although I'm not quite sure how you could do a whole game if 1 sprite takes up the entire screen?
You can do it Dragon Warrior style, where you see the sprite statically during an encounter.

dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »

Apologies for the crappy cell cam pics.

I had to pick sprites that were high contrast because a lot of colors and combinations of colors don't photograph well on the Meggy. (And some colors, like brown/black, are impossible.) Anyway, hope you like 'em!

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 07:42:51 PM »

Seeing this makes me want to see someone in part two make a game where the graphics are made entirely out of particles.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »

Seeing this makes me want to see someone in part two make a game where the graphics are made entirely out of particles.

Totally, someone should play with alternate rendering of 'pixels' that take advantage of the lo-fi nature.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »

Apologies for the crappy cell cam pics.

I had to pick sprites that were high contrast because a lot of colors and combinations of colors don't photograph well on the Meggy. (And some colors, like brown/black, are impossible.) Anyway, hope you like 'em!

It wouldn't be that hard for me to make higher contrast, less colored/shaded versions of these if you wanted - if you had plans to make something for the competition or whatever.
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »

Quote from: oryx link=topic=8970.msg282646#msg282646 date
Totally, someone should play with alternate rendering of 'pixels' that take advantage of the lo-fi nature.
Yeah, like Petri's shooter game that looks like it's all post-it notes.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009, 08:21:19 PM »

Actually, I wrote some code that splits up an image based on the pixels and converts them into glowing circles to be used as I like.   But honestly, I really like it the way it is now.

I only hope I can come up with an RL that does it justice.  I never made one before, so this should be interesting.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 10:13:53 PM »

Update (see first post)
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 10:33:45 PM »

I am a bit confused.  The first graphic is to show what it looks like close up?  Why is the font in the collected graphic but then not in any of the following sheets?

It doesn't really matter, since I can chop it up on my own.  You can certainly keep all the sprites on the same sheet as long as they all follow the grid.  I don't think it makes a difference to flixel or any other quick program.

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »

I am a bit confused.  The first graphic is to show what it looks like close up?  Why is the font in the collected graphic but then not in any of the following sheets?

It doesn't really matter, since I can chop it up on my own.  You can certainly keep all the sprites on the same sheet as long as they all follow the grid.  I don't think it makes a difference to flixel or any other quick program.

Yeah, the first graphic is just my working sheet, and shows a version at 400% with spaces for easy viewing. I am in the process of making all the sprite sheets - the interface sheet which will include the fonts is next!
Ashkin
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2009, 10:57:13 PM »

IS IT TIME FOR PART TWO???!!!  Angry
Need... Roguelike! Crazy
Oh well. I'll study up on algorithms for procedural generation.
But anyway...
 Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:03 AM »

Fortunately, I've done all the code necessary to actually make a Roguelike.  Now to actually...you know.... put it together.  Who, Me?

Maybe I better do it in C++ instead of Flash, now that I think of it.  I'm not sure RLs would translate well into a "browser game" environment.  What do you guys think?

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »

Personally I say the browser world needs a few more roguelikes. I've played Caverns of the Underkeep, which was a quite fun (if shallow) experience.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »

I've got an idea for a somethingelse-like for these beauties  Ninja
I'm almost intimidated by the number of monsters... but not quite!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic