Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:48:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)a game about not-Ferrets
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: a game about not-Ferrets  (Read 6079 times)
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2007, 02:30:32 PM »

Oh, I suppose I owe a small introduction. I've been followingish the indy game scene for a while now but never really participated in the forums. I have a lot to say about the video game industry but no ones going to listen unless I make a name out of myself. Hence, quite ambitiously, I want to tone my skills as a video game developer via the indy route. I like to consider myself a artist/designer more so a programmer but really they are all one and the same to me.

So this thread is just a thread for the art and design work of the game I'm working on. It's about a not-Ferret and an equilateral triangle. I simply refer to the not-Ferret as a not-Ferret because he reminds me an awful lot of kiki the ferret from sluggy freelance though to tell the truth I was probably more so inspired by the *thing* you turn into after you make the potion in Ecstatica. Though, for the most part, I like to say he's original.

The current plans for the game is a flash game and all the artwork is vector because I happen to be quite proficient in illustrator. I might start making a pygame game later because pygame seems like a great language to use to break into video game programming which I have little experience in. It can also do pretty much everything I want it to do as far as 2d games go except handle vectors.

The not-Ferret has a genius IQ but doesn't seem to even recognize the most basic truths in the universe. It also speaks in Engrish.

The equilateral triangle is completely original. I took no traceable inspiration from anything else. The equilateral triangle is a cynic and a coward. He doesn't care about anything in the world and is completely passive though you wouldn't be able to tell based on what he says.

But this thread isn't really about their personalities. Here's an unfinished sprite sheet for the not-Ferret in its standing animation and some other things. It'll have legs pretty soon but synching 13 legs is quite difficult. I was hoping to animate the arms a little too. Making sprites is a lot of work.

Also makes a great desktop http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/97/desktopdb2.png

I actually post all my updates at my blog/forum http://deleterian.com not that I'm trying to detour visitors from tigsource or anything. The site isn't even done yet,  I just post stuff there so I can keep track of it myself. I'll be posting everything concerning the not-Ferret game over here though.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 03:17:39 PM by chippermonky » Logged
Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:42:16 PM »

Am I the only one that sees fish hook arms?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 12:50:31 AM »

No.
He also seems to have underarm hair.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:19:51 PM »

AM I the only one to see sagging breasts?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:33:13 PM »

Thinking that would be a "yes"...

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 08:48:57 PM »

Am I the only one that sees fish hook arms?
No. He also seems to have underarm hair.
I thought the arms were a moustache and thought; "Damn, this is awesome"

Jolli
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »

awwwwww  Smiley
Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 11:10:08 PM »

I love character customization!
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 12:29:16 AM »

I added feet. The animation still feels a little choppy. I need to align things properly and shift things around a bit and redraw maybe two of the frames. Otherwise,  I'm rather happy with the results.
http://deleterian.com/node/32
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:06:06 PM by chippermonky » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 11:26:11 AM »

Long legs? Shocked
They don't look very appropriate.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »

Long legs? Shocked
They don't look very appropriate.

Could you please elaborate a bit more? I could make them a bit shorter but they pretty much have to be that long for me to have that curly leg effect.

Oh, and I changed some frames around so it looks a bit better now (same link). But I noticed that I have him bending too much. The movements don't quite have the same subtle effect I was hoping for. I'm loving the way the legs are though which is surprising because I did them one by one in illustrator with some crude onion skinning.

I'm not sure if I should start over or go back and remove a few frames from the two ends since 13 unique frames in that animation is already overkill. In any case, I do plan on adding animation to the fishhook arms and face to add a little bit more character.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:19:32 PM by chippermonky » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »

I dunno, it just seems weird, like you went "Pshhh fuck it" stuck stick figure legs on there.
I guess I just like it better as a maggot, or if you had to put legs... well.. Lemme find where I put my tablet pen and I'll show you.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »

The stick legs were absolutely essential for the original image I had in my mind so I might be a bit biased when I'm looking at my own stuff. I seem to prefer it with the legs. I'll reanimate it without the legs later to see how it looks and then decide. Wont be too much work because i need to add some movement to the face and arms.

Oh also be sure to check the new version here http://deleterian.com/node/32 otherwise it wont run at the correct frame rate and size.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic