Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:14:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRobots Always Obey
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Robots Always Obey  (Read 4396 times)
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »

As of the creation of this thread, I've been working on this game for a little over a month.  It's a robot "programming" puzzle game where the objective is to get to the security node in each level.  Robots start out on sync nodes (and sometimes they are found elsewhere in the level) where they can be be programmed by way of setting movement instructions on the available slots for a function, of which there can be several. 

Here's a current screenshot (click to embiggen):

Here's a video of the demo submitted for IGF.  I'm also working on a more grand scale "Out of this World" style game, but I'd kick myself if I didnt submit something this year.

Right now the game plays like a 3D version of Lightbot with multiple robots and a different interface and puzzle style, but I have more features planned out for it:

• Different robots with their own special abilities.
  • More dangers and obstacles such as laser barriers and turrets that can be tripped.  Other robots abilities will help in disabling/protecting against these.
  • More variation in the 3D tilesets and decor in each level.
  • A level select screen where areas will be unlocked as you gain more access codes.
  • A level editor for others to make their own custom puzzles.

I'm looking for constructive feedback on gameplay mechanics or any other questions or ideas people may have.  Of course, I'll be updating this thread and my blog as I work on it unless I'm on some short break (i.e. post IGF submission crunch X_X).

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »

Started working on this again after taking a break as I mentioned.  Hey look, jumping robot can actually jump now.

I'll update this thread with further progress unless I get more radio silence, I have my blog if I want to talk to myself without feeling bad about it Grin

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »

Lookin really nice! Only thing I could say about adjusting at the moment, though it is really just personal preference i guess.. the grey background around it. Not sure what you could put there but the grey looks a bit, grey!

Yes.. constructive. Looking good anyway!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »

Meant to comment on this before, it's looking good. I agree the greyness could be reduced a bit althought the environments are quite sharp and pleasing overall. For me the robots are a bit too indistinct, the green eyes texture especially is blurry and doesn't come across too well.

From the video it looks like the interface could be improved with a sort of drop-down (or drop-up in this case) list of possible commands when you click on one of the slots, instead of clicking to cycle through them all.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I had experimented with a few things regarding the background but it made it look too noisy and ended up settling on a solid color.  I do agree that it should change though, I'll need to come up with something less boring but subtle and not distracting for the background.

I'm not 100% happy with the current robot either, my concept art for him didnt translate very well.  I'm thinking about going with a more exagerrated, bulky, Blizzard-esque style for the other robots and I see him changing.  If I keep this character, I think seperate geometry for the eyes might help, poly count be damned.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »

Decided to halt work on this for various reasons, but the original IGF demo and my reasoning is available on my blog:
http://roachpuppy.com/?p=100

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic