Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:44:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Don't Piss the Pencerkoff
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Don't Piss the Pencerkoff  (Read 45965 times)
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »

I've noticed that very few people feel like animating in this competition so far, and if I don't make a few well-developed characters, all the games are going to be crappy rougelike 8x8 pixel pieces of crap.  Someone needs to explain that rougelike means like Rouge's gameplay, not Rouge's graphics.
THIS.

The FatGuy sprite is fantastic and it keeps getting better and better.

There's so much truth to the keep pushing our boundaries thing, and although I'm a bit afraid of the complexity that arises of using this array of special moves, I'm really tempted to use fatty in my game. And the frog.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

Hello this is Slashie

The FatGuy looks fantastic!

I've noticed that very few people feel like animating in this competition so far, and if I don't make a few well-developed characters, all the games are going to be crappy rougelike 8x8 pixel pieces of crap.  Someone needs to explain that rougelike means like Rouge's gameplay, not Rouge's graphics. 

I partly understand you, in the sense that it might seems people is just being lazy, but I also see it like this:
* 8x8 pixels is retro, which may appeal some people
* 8x8 pixels allows for easier creation of new content
* Non animated sprites contribute to the developer being able to add gameplay features without worrying for a new super cool animated sprite to be created. (Does the developer want to add a new technique for the fatGuy? she doesnt have to worry about Pencerkoff creating a cool animation Smiley )

I can't even name one guy who's played Rouge.
Nonsense!

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

There's so much truth to the keep pushing our boundaries thing, and although I'm a bit afraid of the complexity that arises of using this array of special moves, I'm really tempted to use fatty in my game. And the frog.

What's nice about this competition, is that you can use this fat guy as a complex main character with all of those abilities I laid out, or you could have him be an enemy that uses maybe 2 or 3 of those animations. From a programming perspective, it's really nice because you could make something basic (fat guys runs and jumps) and then add to it as you go (give a new ability like the hammer thing). 

The difference between this and normal game making, I suppose, is that those extra animations I drew might inspire some people to push further and further with their game to include it all, thus (hopefully) making a more interesting game.

Oh crap... you think you could use more frog animations?  I couldn't think of anything inspiring so I stopped developing him.  Or her.  I don't know frogs.

Hello this is Slashie

* 8x8 pixels is retro, which may appeal some people
* 8x8 pixels allows for easier creation of new content

Yeah I'm not completely against the "8x8", I should be welcoming creation of any style.  Maybe my anger is driven by a need to see more content for a game involving my sprites, because my sprites wouldn't work too well with the 8x8 ones.

Unless you make a game about hammer-crushing thousands of 8x8 sprites.

-PENCERKOFF
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:58:15 PM by Pencerkoff » Logged

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Added some frog stuff that isn't terribly special.

-PENCERKOFF

Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »

I really love your characters. I'm guessing we'll get to eventually see naked fat man run through pastoral countrysides like he's always dreamed of, I can't wait!

Also, count me as another Rogue/Angband/Shiren/Nethack fan. It's a pretty saturated niche though. You know what's not? Metroidvania game featuring fat naked men.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »

This is probably one of the best threads here.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 11:16:40 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

This is probably one of the best threads here.

Thanks! 

Also... nice job breaking 2000 posts. 

I just broke 200.

I really love your characters. I'm guessing we'll get to eventually see naked fat man run through pastoral countrysides like he's always dreamed of, I can't wait!

Also, count me as another Rogue/Angband/Shiren/Nethack fan. It's a pretty saturated niche though. You know what's not? Metroidvania game featuring fat naked men.

Unless there's some specific requests for my characters, I'll be trying my hand at some scenery next.  "Pastoral countrysides" was too good to pass up.

-PENCERKOFF

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 11:38:24 AM »

My game will be action-packed, and real time. And I'm still using the static sprites.

Of course, I'll try to ask for some animated ones as well.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 12:14:46 PM »

Speaking of pastoral countrysides, don't know if you're familiar with this curiosity. Early color photo process from russia, 1905-1915.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2009/10/21/color-photography-from-russian-in-the-early-1900s/
Ipsquiggle
Level 0

The Fernicious Freep.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 07:43:45 PM »

The "slpattered-but-inching-along" animation is the stomach-turningly-sweet icing on this delicious cake of a thread.
rfrank.nj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »

I've noticed that very few people feel like animating in this competition so far, and if I don't make a few well-developed characters, all the games are going to be crappy rougelike 8x8 pixel pieces of crap.

qft

I'm a huge fan of your work.

Could you split up the grappling hook animation a bit more? perhaps a separate mid-section and end-ball-thing.  Also, it'd be useful to have an animation of him 'entering' his grappling-fat-hook state.  It'd be a little choppy right now to use (would have to have him standing still then changing to that arms-back pose w/o any animation inbetween).
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Not all of these are Parallax Scrolling enabled!  Use the backgrounds on front page.

Could you split up the grappling hook animation a bit more? perhaps a separate mid-section and end-ball-thing.  Also, it'd be useful to have an animation of him 'entering' his grappling-fat-hook state.  It'd be a little choppy right now to use (would have to have him standing still then changing to that arms-back pose w/o any animation inbetween).

The grappling hook is divided into three parts, if you look in the sprite sheet.  I'm willing to make a grappling start animation, but I don't think it would be any better than having the grappling part emerge outward from his chest.  Maybe you can better describe what you mean?

-PENCERKOFF
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:03:48 PM by Pencerkoff » Logged

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

AGGGGGGHHHHH

every once in a while you make something so bad you don't stop laughing.

-PENCERKOFF

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »

That will definitely be the most frightening and memorable horror game asset of all. None can top the dancing skeleton.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »

The moves...
are so funny...
I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING Epileptic

Working on HeliBrawl
falsion
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »

hahaha amazing work so far. all fear the gut hammer.

also

AHHH!!-               
SMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB Brick
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2009, 05:42:42 AM »

Wow the fat man animation is amazing Smiley WOW I dlove it Smiley
It will be a nice game using these sprites Smiley

Nice Job Smiley

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »

Hey look I made a song/loop that was partially inspired by your pudding man.

hi
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009, 06:18:39 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

That's great.  Makes me want to slow down the run animation by a lot and just have the fat guy walk down a street.  The more people make things that can go with the Fat Guy, the more likely it'll be made into a nice game.  I'd welcome any and all attempts to improve my Fatty, be it additional assets or changing what I have made here to something else.

If I wasn't so absorbed in making a Doom-like engine, I would have more material made.  I tried my hand a few things and decided to not embarrass myself by posting them.  That was in my Dancing skeleton phase.

-PENCERKOFF
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:22:13 PM by Pencerkoff » Logged

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I've been busy elsewhere but now I am back for a bit.  I updated the first post with some fixed backgrounds and some laser animations in 4 whacky colors!  The lasers look much better when used with the frog animation also on the first post.

I tried a tile set but realized I'm no good at patterns that repeat.  There's some good ones out there already, so who cares, right?  I think I'll make a few more backgrounds tonight.

-PENCERKOFF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic