Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:12:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Don't Piss the Pencerkoff
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Don't Piss the Pencerkoff  (Read 45960 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »

Fantasticstuff comrade Pencerkoff.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2009, 05:49:01 AM »

I'd like a walking animation for Fat Guy very much.

Also, how about a button for him to hit with the hammer.

Very nice sprites by the way.

Oh and I think the breaking up into little fat guys was a good idea too. Possibly just shrinking into one. But multiple would be way cool.

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:43:24 PM by Blaizer » Logged
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »

OK, forget the breaking up into little guys.

What I would really like is a walking animation and a pushing animation (pushing something such as a crate). These two and the button. I would be so grateful if you could make these before the deadline. Tears of Joy
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

OK, forget the breaking up into little guys.

What I would really like is a walking animation and a pushing animation (pushing something such as a crate). These two and the button. I would be so grateful if you could make these before the deadline. Tears of Joy

I updated my first post with Buttons.

I thought maybe somebody would want to wire those buttons up so I made a bunch of different wires.

Then I made some Bomb Blocks that could be wired, followed by more blocks for whatever.

I don't honestly think I'm going to make a walk cycle, seeing as I have a run cycle in there already.  You must convince me it's worth the time.

I will make the Block pushing animations.

EDIT : I figured out my guy works better in a larger tile set, so I made my wires and boxes 24x24 instead of 16x16.  I kept the old stuff just in case.

-PENCERKOFF
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:24:08 PM by Pencerkoff » Logged

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »

Well... The pushing the block animation could just be the walking animation except more leaned forward and with his hands out in front...

Shrug

Nice blocks and wires by the way. They'll come in handy for a lot of games.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Well... The pushing the block animation could just be the walking animation except more leaned forward and with his hands out in front...

Shrug

Nice blocks and wires by the way. They'll come in handy for a lot of games.

Here's my final submission.  I updated my first post with a "Buttons" picture that worked, and the Fat Guy block-pushing animation.

I really want somebody to try making a game using every frame I provided of the Fat Guy.  Honestly I had fun making these things and I wouldn't feel bad if nobody used them, but I was just curious if someone could make a decent one in 30 days (or whatever we get).

Edit: Also threw in some crap I made that I didn't bother posting before like a female enemy for mr. Fatts.  I never bothered actually animating her cause I'm far better with fat guys than scantily clad women.  sigh...

-PENCERKOFF
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:19:51 PM by Pencerkoff » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2009, 08:20:20 PM »

You and me both.

hi
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »

Awesome! I'll save them all now.

I'm definitely going to use every animation you have on offer in my game. And possibly some crafty combinations of them for even more animations.

So.... First task.. Learn C++ :D
HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »

Warning: Fairly long and blunt post ahead.  Please know that it's only because I really want to see this sprite used that I'm providing this criticism now (rather than later).

I really want somebody to try making a game using every frame I provided of the Fat Guy.
As a programmer who intends on entering Part 2, I can honestly say that the only spritesheet you provided is not going to be simple or easy to import into a game engine as-is.  

Unless you present these sprites in a more organized format, I believe that it is unreasonable to hope that anyone could fulfill your wish of using every frame of animation and still abide by the contest rules.

The restrictions for Part 2 of the competition explicitly state:
2. In the second part, designers and programmers will have a month to take the assets created in part one and make games with them (assets used need not be limited to one person or team).  The programmers cannot make any changes to the assets unless it's done during runtime.  The best game will be voted on in the normal fashion.
(emphasis my own)

I really want to see these sprites used in a game, as I think they're fantastic.  But I can tell you that the poor format in which these are provided will be a significant barrier of entry for anyone wishing to use them according to the competition rules.  I'm a reasonably experienced hobbyist game programmer, but I honestly don't even know where I would start in trying to use every frame in this sprite sheet with nothing other than run-time modifications.

Here's what I see when I bring your sprite sheet into a graphics editor:

From this image, here are the main problems that I see with your sprite sheet as-is:
1. Sprite frames are not a consistent size between animation strips.  I.E., the hammer smashing sprites are spaced differently than the running or idle frames.
2. The first frame of some animation strips are clipped, and would need special masking to work around.  For example, look at the Roll animation strip.  I've lined the grid up correctly with the other animation frames, but the gray border intrudes on the first frame of the animation.
3. Animation strips are not presented on grids that line up with other animation grids.  Even though I've gotten a grid for the Roll frame that looks correct, it doesn't line up anywhere close for any of the other animation strip.
4. Not all animation frames are present on this sprite sheet (such as the block pushing animation).
5. The block-pushing sprite sheet has an unnecessary block there that is yet another thing that needs to be masked out at run-time.

For a positive example of how to do this better, I would point you to the Dragon Princess sprite sheet that Kazerad posted is an excellent example of how to do a sprite sheet so that it's easy to turn into a game. All frames (even the small ones) are scaled up to the size of the largest frame.   Everything on the sprite sheet lines up on the same base 135x103 grid.  It makes for a lot of wasted space, but it's well worth it for the programmers.

In your case, I would put the stomach segments on their own sheets, but I would scale every frame of the guy up to the largest frame (probably one of the stomach hammer poses).

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that's helpful.

[Side Note]It seems that so many of the assets for Part 1 have been submitted as animated GIFs, or other inane formats.  Very few game engines that I've ever worked with have been able to import animated GIFs as usable sprites.  Unless the stated restrictions for Part 2 are slacked (so that programmers can organize sprites like Pencerkoff's otherwise excellent fat man), it really limits the number of reasonably usable assets in this competition. Facepalm

I love restrictions in game competitions -- but there's a point at which restrictions cease being a fun challenge, and become inane tedium.  Must I really write my own animated GIF parser for my game-engine-of-choice just so that I can use some of these sprites?[/Side Note]

I hope this was helpful criticism, and I really hope I didn't piss the Pencerkoff.  Concerned

These are just such excellent sprites, and I think we all want to see them used in a game -- so I felt that somebody had to say it. Sad

--clint
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:54:34 PM by HanClinto » Logged
CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2009, 02:54:27 PM »

<large post snip>

I think it was discussed in a thread that you will most likely be able change the formatting of sprite sheets and such so long as you don't touch the sprites themselves.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8752.120

That said, at this point I feel really there should have been some standards set for animated sprite assets in terms of formatting before everyone was allowed to submit, but it's a bit late for that!

Edit: Also I'd like to say the fat man character is awesome. I'd use it myself but it seems at least half the forum wants to do so already.   Droop
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:59:33 PM by Lightnix » Logged

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Yeah this isn't Nazi Germany, this is TIGSource, you can cut and paste the sprites to work as you see fit.

Even my cloud backgrounds were made with the intention that anyone using them would place the clouds about in whatever pattern they felt like.

-PENCERKOFF

HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2009, 03:00:23 PM »

I think it was discussed in a thread that you will most likely be able change the formatting of sprite sheets and such so long as you don't touch the sprites themselves.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8752.120

I sincerely hope the rules are slacked a bit to go along with Sos's suggestion, but that question has been raised several times and thus far seems to have been ignored by the Official Powers That Be.  If the judges / mods change the rules as they are currently stated, then Pencerkoff and others can safely ignore my post.  

That said, at this point I feel really there should have been some standards set for animated sprite assets in terms of formatting before everyone was allowed to submit, but it's a bit late for that!
Agreed -- well said.

--clint
HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2009, 03:03:01 PM »

Yeah this isn't Nazi Germany, this is TIGSource, you can cut and paste the sprites to work as you see fit.

Well for us newcomers who are new to TIGSource, it sure would be nice if the contest rules had stated so explicitly, rather than saying the exact opposite.  Apoplectic

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing your sprites used in-game!  Smiley

--clint
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »

This compo is a bit more complex than most others, with its 2-part structure. But like comrade Pencerkoff said, there's no problem is cutting/pasting and making your own sheets.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »

I used your sky. In a fit of Wanting-to-rearrange-the-clouds-but-not-having-time, I didn't rearrange the clouds.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9613.0

Couldn't find a way to work the skeleton in, though Sad

Thankin' you kindly  Gentleman

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »

Yeah this isn't Nazi Germany, this is TIGSource
HEIL DEREK!

hi
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]