Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:47:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDoes liking Puzzle Quest make me a horrible person?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Does liking Puzzle Quest make me a horrible person?  (Read 3963 times)
pkt-zer0
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2007, 08:44:47 PM »

Since it is, after all, just a clone of a casual game. A clone of Bejeweled, at that.

Execution by burning at the stake, firing squad, or hanging: that is the question.

After you've figured out what gruesome fate I should suffer, you could also discuss whether Puzzle Quest is any good. I'd say that combining the RPG-style scheduled rewards with the constantly varying, randomized puzzles was quite a devious idea. It's nice because you can just sit down to fiddle around in the game for ten minutes, and still make some "progress" in the game, unlocking various new options to play around with, inside or outside matches. This latter part alleviates some of the boredom that would set it if you were just playing with the same simplistic ruleset for the thousandth time.

Discuss... or else!
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »

Since it is, after all, just a clone of a casual game. A clone of Bejeweled, at that.

I think you could make a pretty good argument that the addition of RPG elements pushes it at least a little bit beyond "just a clone of Bejeweled".

No one (well, ok, you could probably search the internets and find SOMEONE, but no one relevant) seriously looks down on BeatMania, DDR, or Rockband for being "just clones of Simon-Sez".  I mean, sure, they take that core game mechanic, but they add so much other stuff that I think it's safely beyond "just another clone"-land.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 10:23:30 PM »

Addendum:
Liking puzzle quest does not make you not a horrible person.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 11:12:51 PM »

Casual mechanic + RPG progression = win!

Heck, if you consider "click on the monkey" a casual mechanic then this even describes Diablo Smiley
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 01:49:19 AM »

The lit-nerd in me says that anything that marries the mindlessness of Bejeweled with atrocious pseudo-anime art (don't let Baudrillard find out about an American art style in mimicry of a Japanese art style in mimicry of American comics, or his head will explode due to nested simulacra) and terrible Tolkien knock-offs should qualify you for a speedy journey in concrete shoes to the bottom of the nearest river, but then I enjoyed Bookworm Adventures, so I'm basically not allowed to talk anymore.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 02:05:02 AM »

I think PuzzleQuest has a piece of pure genius in it. Using match-3 to obtain mana for spells is awesome!

The rest of the game: inane story, awful dialog, ultra-slow combat, blah, blah, makes me a horrible person. So, I don't play it, but I might steal some of its genius someday. :-)

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 03:56:55 AM »

The lit-nerd in me says that anything that marries the mindlessness of Bejeweled with atrocious pseudo-anime art (don't let Baudrillard find out about an American art style in mimicry of a Japanese art style in mimicry of American comics, or his head will explode due to nested simulacra) and terrible Tolkien knock-offs should qualify you for a speedy journey in concrete shoes to the bottom of the nearest river
Don't forget the laborious early game text screens, or the complete failure to pace the introduction of complexity. Also, I attended a talk by the main design dude recently and he seemed like a bit of a twonk.

Still, Bejewelled + RPG = Win. Gratz to everyone involved.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 07:56:06 AM »

I have to say, I really got addicted to playing Puzzle Quest on my friend's PSP...I felt dirty, but it was pretty fun. :/

olücæbelel
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 03:38:46 PM »

I have the DS version and I'm addicted :D

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 10:45:02 PM »

I like it for the same reason people like crack.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 06:16:10 PM »

Choosing between collecting mana (short term achievement that can later translate into offensive or defensive actions), experience/money (long term achievements that can only be used outside of your current situation), or attacks (immediate offensive achievement that directly moves you closer to your active goal) makes this far more than a "match whatever colors you see" game.  There's actually a good deal of strategy where you try to predict your opponent's move, and try to create setups on the board with future turns in mind.  There's also character setups you put together outside of battles that affect your game.  Yes there's an element of luck, but that's a very small part of the formula that only spices things up.  You actually have a great deal of control and planning ability.

I'd say the difference is as wide as checkers and tic-tac-toe.  Even though they both use a grid, and opposing "pieces", one has very limited strategy, if you even want to call it strategy at all.  None of you should say Puzzle Quest is just Bejeweled with a skin of anime characters and experience points.  I say giving purpose to what you match, and giving you multiple goal paths to choose between turn this game into something entirely different.

I do hate the story/theme/presentation though.  What a dull, generic, wannabe world to play in.  Good thing I can ignore that part.  The 360 version of Puzzle Quest is the best, btw.

Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 11:08:24 PM »

GameSpot said that it was "the best game that nobody played".  What do they know?
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 02:16:49 AM »

Personally, I think it's made of cake, awesomeness, and win. And the cake is a lie. Although, the plot IS craptastic.

Now, leave before I call the Welder on ya'll.

“I have brought you T, Master. It took quite a lot of searching on your Galaxy’s non-holographic communications network, but no man is beyond the reach of a Sith.”

Meanwhile, poor Mr. T was left to hang upside down in the middle of the room, informing us that we were both fools, to be pitied.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 03:19:43 AM »

I played the shit out of it. It's got the same idea as Puzzle Pirates, which is similarly awesome.

spellcaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 04:57:30 AM »

I tried the PC version yesterday, and I am pretty bored. Is the DS version better?
I was actually looking forward to get it for the DS as soon as it's released here - but after playing the PC version I canceled my order.
Not sure, I was kinda tired when I tried it - maybe I should give it another try.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 08:57:16 AM »

I played the shit out of it. It's got the same idea as Puzzle Pirates, which is similarly awesome.
Puzzle Pirates Sailing ~= Starsweep
Starsweep == Best Game Ever
No fooling.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 02:41:45 PM »

Yeah, so, even my girlfriend liked Puzzle Quest. Liked it as in, stole-my-DS-and-stayed-up-til-3am liked.   Shocked She normally hates things with orcs.

olücæbelel
Doncommie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »

It's a bit of an odd game as the basic idea is solid but the implementation is only "good enough", a lot of the game is poorly judged. Fairly high quality execution but still a bit of a gilded turd when it could have been a real classic.
StephenAnthony
Level 0

BAD LUCK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 08:38:56 AM »

I think it's a really clever idea for a game, but as for me personally, I'd rather play a more traditional RPG. Solving puzzles seems to take away from some of the grandiosity of actual combat.

Having said that, I haven't actually played it, so it may be more fun than I'm guessing it would be.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic