Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:02:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSilhouette - an exploration platformer inspired by Another World
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Silhouette - an exploration platformer inspired by Another World  (Read 2447 times)
Eternal Man
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »

Hey all!
Me and my group recently submitted a game called Silhouette to The Daily Click's Halloween Compo 09(came in second).

I started this project in an attempt to make a movement engine similar to the one in Another World, then it just grew into new areas. We're focusing on atmosphere and exploration, coupled with some (hopefully) scary elements. Some game mechanics aren't included in this preview, but that doesn't hinder the feel in any way. I'm looking for some feedback on it before continuing development. Mainly cc in general, a playtest if you will. So go crazy and tell me what you think!

The game is only a preview(as I already stated), but it's an ok representation of the concept and overall feel.
The download can be found here--> http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=7979

Some screens for your appetite;

Tally-ho! And enjoy!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

I quit pretty fast because the jumping system you have hardly gives me any control over the character. When you have that system and you require precision jumps, it just feels weird.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:45:05 PM by allen » Logged
Eternal Man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »

When you have system and you require precision jumps, it just feels weird.

Hmm, might be my Swedish heritage, but I don't understand exactly what you mean...
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »

Sorry, I meant to put "that" before system.

What I was trying to say is that I'm so used to having control over my characters while they are in mid-air, in just about any platform game that requires precision jumps.

The controls would be fine if there was a bit less difficulty in the jumps. Give me some room to screw up instead of killing me and making me restart, ya know? But I'm awful at games so Tongue
Eternal Man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:04:39 AM »

Ahh, ok. That made a lot more sense!

I decided to use the fixed system because it fits the style and adds a bit more realism. You do however have control over running jumps in a way seeing as they rely on the run-up. Also, it becomes really fluid when you get used to grabbing the edges!!

Thanks for the input! And consider giving it another go to get used at the controls, there is a lot of fun waiting ahead!

/EE
RayRayTea
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 04:31:06 AM »

I can't see anything on those screesnhots - too dark... Maybe a bit of contrast wouldn't hurt?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 04:48:11 AM »

RayRayTea: Indeed, you could adjust the contrast of your computer! Wink I can see the screenshots fine, and my computer is far from having high contrast.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 06:17:06 AM »

I finished this demo, and it is awesome. I really look forward to the finished version.

More save points wouldn't go amiss though. I noticed some would only trigger on like the third time I reached an area.
RayRayTea
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 07:12:10 AM »

Hempuli: My monitor's contrast is fine, I was just exaggerating a bit Smiley
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 07:17:53 AM »

Hempuli: My monitor's contrast is fine, I was just exaggerating a bit Smiley

Oh, sorry. Tongue

deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 07:30:55 AM »

I gave it plenty of attempts, Could not get it down...

but perhaps I was getting frustarated? when it's fully release I'll practice and try not to get frustrated
Eternal Man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 02:44:26 PM »

Thanks for all the input!

A contrast change is not neccesary imo, when the game is run fullscreen you won't have any bright edges of the screen to screw up the contrast. Atleast that's how I find it to be! Though I'm in to altering the color-scheme, but I haven't decided yet.

Interesting that the save points screw up, haven't noticed it myself. I'm gonna look into that, though I have a feeling about what could be causing it...

And too bad Allen, I hope you get the controls down better in the full release! I would hate to make a game that everyone can't enjoy, on that topic, do you have any suggestions about the controls and how to improve them? I'd really like to know since I will be looking into every aspect of the game and tweak like crazy! Smiley

And sergiocornaga: Nice to hear that you like it that much! If you are interested in it, there is a devlog if you wish to follow the development. -->http://www.create-games.com/project.asp?view=main&id=1734

Thanks again for all the input!
Keep em coming!

Regards
//EE
Eternal Man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »

Oops! Sorry for the bump!  Shrug
I just wanted to ask yet again for some input, specifically on the controls this time.
How do they feel?
Do you find them clumsy?
Is it hard to move around?
Do you have any suggestions on the controls?
Do you have any ideas for new moves that would allow for better control?  Hand Joystick Apoplectic
And of course, any comments in general!

Thanks a million!  Coffee
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic