Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 04:07:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallelacsy [now with extra TRAILER]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: elacsy [now with extra TRAILER]  (Read 3301 times)
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2009, 09:42:14 AM »

The talented mister The Podunkian put together this great

---
Thanks to the #tigIRC peoples for their help and suggestions I've finished my first Flash game (with flixel, which was fun as hell to use by the way).

(Previous version) gameplay video courtesy of allen:

Ortoslon's Hard Mode video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_OH-G0w1yA

To learn the ropes I decided to make a sequel to some simple, accessible randomly-generated vertical shooters I did as weekend things ages ago. This time it's procedural, and you can enter your own seeds to play different levels.

I'm hoping to do the sponsor thing so I can't post a link just yet, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. The game can be seen here up on FGL if you have a sponsor account, otherwise drop me a PM or something and I'll add you to the list so you can check it out!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:51:16 PM by Radix » Logged
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »

Bullet hell YAY!
Cokho
Level 3

I love anyone who read this !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:58:06 AM »

Looks really ,REALLY nice! congrats  Grin

Pardon my poor english T_T
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »

Looks pretty sexy, but I'll be brutally honest. At least from that video, gameplay just seemed so slow. Your movement speed doesn't seem optimal for taking out enemies both under and above you. Your bullets should probably be faster too. And the enemies don't seem to start coming in a good number until maybe 30 seconds.

I'm not sure that's good for a Flash game, where it's simple to just press the Back button if the game you're playing doesn't grip you from the start. And, honestly, when I watched the video I wondered "when's the action gonna start?"

It does look very good (I can't hear sounds though, in my job's computer. Will watch again at home) but maybe you should increase the speed of some things, and have the game pick up a bit faster.

But of course I haven't even played it, I'm just judging from the video.

Still, good luck with it, hope it works out. I just wanna see it become awesome. Smiley

EDIT: Also, noticed you got high-scores. Probably a good idea to make sure the seed the player entered is posted alongside the score, so people can properly challenge scores of the same seeds.

Also, make sure you got some protection against hackers. Wink

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »

Thanks, Melly. Best response would probably be to let you try the game for yourself, so I'll put a copy up in my test area and PM you in a while.

As for seeds with the scores, that was my original idea. Decided against it after talking about it with several testers. The way scoring works, you're unlikely to get any special advantage from a particular level, and trying different seeds is itself a part of the game. Plus it'd probably be 90% naughty words. 
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 03:43:15 PM »

Played and sent you my feedback. Smiley

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »

Pod did a great trailer:

raiten
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:56:12 AM »

I love the look and sound of it, but what Melly said - it does look a bit slow.

I'm thinking of doing something slightly similar but my idea was to have a separate scoreboard for each seed - unfortunately, this wouldn't work with Mochi's leaderboards as each board has to be created manually...

Also I realize this is totally unhelpful nitpicking but there isn't an infinite amount of levels (as the trailer suggested) unless the levels can be infinitely long - you can't combine X amount of finite elements to make something infinite.
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 01:54:15 AM »

you can't combine X amount of finite elements to make something infinite.

This is unhelpful nitpicking, but yes you can.
raiten
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 02:06:27 AM »

how?
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 03:12:16 AM »

Podunkian's trailer is not available in Germany, probably due to a song used.

jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 03:12:38 AM »

Ironic how it isn't banned in China. Go Germany!

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 03:29:52 AM »

using a finite amount of signals we can represent any number towards infinity, using a finite amount of notes we can compose/record any music, using a finite amount of letters etcetc

anyhow, the trailer looks great
raiten
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:51:32 AM »

using a finite amount of signals we can represent any number towards infinity, using a finite amount of notes we can compose/record any music, using a finite amount of letters etcetc

anyhow, the trailer looks great

Yeah, but now you're adding infinite length. If there's a cap of any kind, say you can only use 1000 numbers etc, then obviously you won't end up with an infinite amount of numbers. Same with music and sentences and whatever. Assuming the game doesn't allow stages to be infinitely long, there's not an infinite amount of stages.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 06:36:33 AM »

If there's a cap of any kind, say you can only use 1000 numbers etc, then obviously you won't end up with an infinite amount of numbers. Same with music and sentences and whatever. Assuming the game doesn't allow stages to be infinitely long, there's not an infinite amount of stages.

This is true, and furthermore if levels are generated deterministically from a seed in the form of a text string, the number of possible levels = number of usable characters^max string length.

However, I doubt anyone's going to feel short-changed because the game only provides 128^64 potential levels or whatever. That's more levels than you could play between now and the end of the universe, given current cosmological models.

Anyway, from the gameplay video, it didn't look all that slow to me. Bullet-hell type shmups generally are a bit slower compared to some other sorts of action games, otherwise they'd be unplayable. I'm also guessing that the laid-back soundtrack made it feel slower than it would do if it had a pumping, Kenta Cho-style techno track playing instead.

I'm looking forward to it.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 08:14:03 AM »

Ironic how it isn't banned in China. Go Germany!
All of Youtube is blocked here. I had to use TOR to make sure Pod spelled my name right.

Also. He was having fun with the trailer, "infinite" is snappier than "really quite a lot" I guess. Seeds are limited to six characters.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »

He was having fun with the trailer, "infinite" is snappier than "really quite a lot" I guess. Seeds are limited to six characters.

Well, that should still provide enough levels to play a different one every couple of minutes for over a million years. If people get picky about the "infinite" claim, you could always offer them their money back once they've completed the game.

Back on topic: is the music in the trailer going to be the music in the game? While I applaud your trying something different from the usual, I don't really think it works. Like I said in an earlier post, I think it makes it feel a little too laid-back.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 09:10:40 AM »

Haha. The real music is some cool chiptune stuff. Pod is the only person who doesn't like the original music so he changed it for the trailer. Check out Ortoslon's video for the real thing.
ortoslon
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 06:53:48 AM »

4069 on hard

i deleted the old video
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic