Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:45:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingChibi Soccer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chibi Soccer  (Read 3037 times)
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:37:24 AM »

Chibi Soccer is a soccer Game I wrote in eight days for Xmas Hack 07:
http://xmashack.bafsoft.com/2007/welcome
The download page for this game is:
http://monkeydev.com/chbscr/
Here are the obligatory screen shots:

As you can see it is a game played by Big Head anime girls. The AI is as smart as a six year old. Run towards ball, kick it towards opponent's goal. The user can attempt to interject more intelligence by controlling a player from one team. Two player is available via game pad and keyboard.

The program is freeware/open source, but since it was hacked together in a short period of time that source is probably illegible to anyone but me. I am probably going to call this done unless the changes you suggest are very easy to implement.

I post this for your enjoyment and my ego. Also you should check out the other Xmas Hack entries this year. They are all free and some are pretty good.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Zaphos
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 01:05:08 AM »

Very nice work for a ChristmasHack  Grin
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »

Hey there!

I felt the controls were a bit rough. The charactermovement was a bit slow for a soccer game, in my opinion, and the game felt a bit too crowded.

It would perhaps be more interesting if you only had 3-5 players on each team instead of 10. It would be alot easier on the player.

Whenever a player scores, it would be a good idea to show what happened exactly. Right now, when a team scores, we hear a cheering sound and the game resets automaticaly. Pausing the game showing us where the ball is and perhaps a small winning animation for the team would do the trick.

Right now, the game uses a 3 button scheme but I believe it would work with only 2. When we are not in possession of the ball, perhaps the "switch character" action could replace the kick action. I haven't found a real use of the kick button when not contorling the ball since sliding easily steals the ball from an opponent.

I expected a cuter game. You know with plushies, ribbons, pink stuff everywhere... I got somewhat disapointed that it was just another soccer game but with some chibbi girls slapped on it...

So in general, I think the game should simplify to make it less hectic. Less characters on the field and simpler control scheme would help the game in my opinion.

Later!

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:52:51 AM »

Oh! I didn't realise they would be so bobble-headed. You should definitely call the game:

"Bobble Dribble"
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Guert. I forgot to say in the OP that this game was written in a week. So things like play balance and artwork could not addressed with the same detail as a longer project. I went with 10 players because that matches the official rules of soccer. I know sometimes your own team gets in the way but that is because of stupid AI. If you look at the source, you will see they are essentially controlled by the rand() function.

I was actually quite pleased with the chaotic result. The game plays more like 8 year old beehive soccer than FIFA pro soccer. When considering the character sprites I feel this is somehow appropriate (but not intentional).

I agree with you that there should be more fanfare on goal scoring. However time constraints and laziness resulted in the dancing chibi girl animation getting cut.

Switching to a two button configuration might be a good idea. Originally the pass/kick button allowed the defending player to cause the ball to fly away from the dribbling player. However after I added the slide tackle this feature seems somewhat obsolete.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic