Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:08:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPlatonicWar - RTS/Defense game, I guess...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PlatonicWar - RTS/Defense game, I guess...  (Read 1361 times)
macnihilist
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:56:05 AM »

PlatonicWar is a kind of real-time strategy game. The goal of the game is to get a unit into the enemy 'end zone' and score points. Units are spawned on one end of the playground and then move stupidly toward the other end. The key to success is to assemble a powerful attack group that cannot by countered by your enemy while trying to counter his attack groups.

At the moment the AI is too stupid to be a real challenge, but against a human opponent the game can be quite entertaining.

Some Screenshots:

READ THIS BEFORE DOWNLOADING:
The game comes as a ClickOnce installer that will pull
- Windows Installer 3.1
- .NET Runtime 3.5
- XNA Runtime 3.1
from Microsoft's servers if necessary. If you have problems with that don't install the game or install these packages manually beforehand. Apart from these requirements any Windows XP/Vista/7 PC with a decent SM 2.0 card should be able to run the game.

That said, finally here is the download link:
http://www.karsten-schwenk.de/downloads/PlatonicWar-0_1_0_0.zip

At this early stage I'm mostly interested in feedback concerning technical aspects and game mechanics:
 - Does the game crash?
 - How is the performance with weaker graphics cards (the game uses a rather inefficient render path and sloppy CAPS checking)?
 - What do you think of the unit/core types and balancing?
 - Any ideas on how to improve energy management (without making it too complicated)?

Since English is not my native language you may also point me at any stupid spelling/grammar mistakes.

Well, I think that's all.
Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoy the game at least a little bit. Smiley
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:40:54 AM »

It seems interesting from the screenshots. Will give it a shot later.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
macnihilist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:34:11 AM »

Self-bumping sucks but I'm curious whether a) nobody has tried it or b) it is _that_ bad.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »

Looks like it could be interesting, but when I run it (after installing) it brings up an error message.  "PlatonicWar has stopped working: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."
macnihilist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 02:19:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I was afraid of something like this.
Guess I'll have to run some more tests for myself and release a properly instrumented version.

Also: If anybody was able to actually start the game I'd appreciate if they gave me a little 'ping' here.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic