Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:48:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Public Build One
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Public Build One  (Read 78076 times)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2007, 04:29:33 PM »

Seems like a good idea...  Smiley
MattC
Level 0

TIGSourcerer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2007, 04:01:42 AM »

Something I just noticed (and don't remember anyone mentioning): You can jump next to a 2-high ledge, hit over, and grab it. But if you are next to a 1-high ledge, the only way to climb it is to move diagonally up and over.

Am I missing a different way to climb 1 tile high ledges or was this something planned/unthought of?

Further clarification: this would be in a situation with a 2-high roof so jumping onto it is impossible. The room in the build right before the guy with a knife (?) has steps that can demonstrate this well.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2007, 12:11:59 PM »

Why was this moved from Art?  I think this is where the art truly begins!

Frankly, I'm insulted.  Tongue

@MattC:  No, this is very much done on purpose.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »

Hey, I wanted to say THANKS for all the great feedback and (especially, haha) kind words!  Smiley  Thanks guys.

I've already made some tweaks based on the input.  I think Public Build Two will be even more silky smooth.  Wink

If you've got any more to say, any suggestions, whatever concerning Public Build One, say it here.  I'll take everything into account.

Other than that, all new ideas go in the Milestone Two thread.  Let's get that moving again!  I'll post concrete Milestone Two goals and some new information to chew on real soon.

Thanks again -- you guys rule.  Grin

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2007, 10:41:12 AM »

not sure if it's been brought up, but I'm too lazy to go and look. Anyway, the music in the game was really low for me, had to blast my speakers to hear it. Which is a shame cause it's a good little track.

Speaking of sound, we need a really crunchy, bone breaking sound when you plummet and die? Kinda like the sound in the original Prince of Persia when you fell too far. Or the old Madden games on the Genesis, where you'd hear the bone snap and then Pat Summerall would chime in with, 'Oh no.'

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2007, 10:49:49 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot I had the music volume at, like, 32 out of 256 in the demo.  It's 'cause I was having some audio issues and I didn't like hearing the messed up track coming through the headphones on my desk.

Re: Bone-Crunching Deaths -- Sounds good to me.  Smiley  I dunno how graphic Arne wants the deaths to be, but I think he mentioned an obstacle gibbing the player early on, so...

dayeight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2007, 05:50:08 PM »

This makes me happy to be alive. and have internet access.

someone should make an infocom room.
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2007, 10:01:09 AM »

For your consideration:
-You should be able to clear a 1 tile gap between ledge and ladder (since you can clear said gap between ledge and ledge)
-You should be able to transition from ladder to ledge seamlessly, simply by pressing  up diagonal
-When a ledge and a ladder are side by side and you press down diagonal, there are two possibilities: "hang on the ledge" or "climb on the ladder". Currently, you hang on the ledge while the ladder is right under your feet. It makes more sense if climbing on the ladder takes precedence.
-Drop down by pressing down. No reason to involve the jump button, unless you implement a wall jump.
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2007, 07:02:43 AM »

My sisters six-year-old played Build One today and he thought it was great. It was awesome to see him play because he had much better control over Baldy than I had making long jumps I didn't think you could handle.

I think he constantly pushed down several directional keys which BQ is designed for so he made a lot of ground quickly and didn't get hung up on anything except for jumping down from handling on a ledge.
spellcaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2007, 06:51:05 AM »

Hello,

I am not sure if one can still contribute animations... but since there is no "falling to death" animation in the prototype, I thought I could add one Wink

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2007, 12:44:38 PM »

dayeight:  Hehe, thanks!  That's nice of you.

bigbossSNK:  Thanks for the feedback!  I've already implemented some of your suggestions and I'll give the rest a whirl soon.

robotacon:  Awesome!  That's so cool to hear, thanks for sharing!  Hopefully the final game will be even more accessible.  In fact, many improvements have already been made.

spellcaster:
  Cool, thanks!  That'll work just fine for now.  Though, we'll probably have to decide on the level of blood sometime in the future...

Thanks again, dudes.  Cool

EDIT:  Your name and icon seem familiar, spellcaster...  Are you on the Allegro.cc forums, perhaps?

spellcaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2007, 03:12:01 PM »

Yep, I lurk on allegro.cc as well.
If you want something with less blood, that shouldn't be a big problem. Hm.. say falling into the floor (without blood) and then seeing stars?
Another option would be to go the jumpman way, and change the jumping animation into a "falling to death" animation as soon as he fell to far.

I just thought that it would fit to the other animations - but in a slightly more morbid way Wink
Zaphos
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2007, 06:14:17 PM »

Yep, I lurk on allegro.cc as well.
If you want something with less blood, that shouldn't be a big problem. Hm.. say falling into the floor (without blood) and then seeing stars?
Another option would be to go the jumpman way, and change the jumping animation into a "falling to death" animation as soon as he fell to far.

I just thought that it would fit to the other animations - but in a slightly more morbid way Wink
Don't forget vitaminNewB also posted a death-by-belly-flop animation over in Milestone 2 --  ,  although, looking at it again, the squash and stretch seems a bit odd on it.

Incidentally, we should have a page / post where all the animations are kept in a list ... it's easy to loose track of what's been done and where everything is!

(Hello spellcaster!)
spellcaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2007, 06:56:56 AM »

Oh.. that belly bounce animations looks nice!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic