Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:07:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPixel Boarder: "Stunt Snowboarding in a Pixel Diorama"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Boarder: "Stunt Snowboarding in a Pixel Diorama"  (Read 1564 times)
PixelFriends
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:06:38 PM »

Hello everyone.  We're finishing up work on a game to be released on the Xbox Indie Games channel called "Pixel Boarder".

the current description for the game is:

"Stunt snowboarding in a pixel diorama".

you can see the first HD trailer here:

And now for the bullet-points:
  • 100% analog controls using both analog sticks to directly control the rider's body.
  • State-of-the-art Retro(?!) graphics with 32, 16, 8, and 4 bit modes.
  • Full replay system - watch your run at any speed (forward and backward)
  • Huge selection of Heads and Bodies to create your own custom rider.
  • A full album worth of quality chiptune tracks from a variety of talented musicians (most from http://8bitcollective.com)

We'd love to hear your feedback / thoughts on the trailer, the look of the game, anything!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:17:33 PM »

This game looks AMAZING. Definitely one of the most promising XBLIG projects I've seen.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »

I love it. If the community/indie/whatever games channel was available here I'd consider buying a 360 for this. The only thing I think is letting you down is some aspects of the art direction. The little pixelly characters are brilliant, most of the obstacles are cool, and the skybox is kinda interesting... but you're not always looking at the big picture. What does it look like when it's all put together? More specifically, the surface you're riding on looks like arse. It fills up a huge portion of the screen, and it's what the player will mostly be looking at as they play. In driving games a surprising amount of art time goes into making the road look nice - the same logic applies here.

I've seen this problem successfully tackled like so:
* Take random screenshots
* Open said screenshots in photoshop
* Modify screenshots until they look pretty as out of context standalone pictures
* Compare pretty screenshots with original screenshots
* Modify game assets until game looks like pretty screenshots

This response probably came out a little harsh, and I apologise for that. I think your game looks very promising.

Oh, and the name Pixel Boarder is informative but kinda dull.
PixelFriends
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:52:07 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, I really appreciate the feedback.  The art side of things is my weakest link for sure, which is mostly why I chose the pixelized style.  I will take a look at how I'm drawing the terrain, and see if I can come up with anything to spruce it up Smiley

thanks again for the feedback!
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:19:08 AM »

It's a shame there are so few comments because i think the game looks very nice. I hope i'll be able to play it as soon as i get a 360... And a tv.

This being said, i have to agree with Farbs. The lego-ish look of the characters is cool, but the texture of the snow kinda ruins the mood. On the screenshot, the shadow is almost black, which makes it look more like concrete or something like that. Maybe you could try to soften theses shadows a little bit (without ruining the volumes of course). Also, you could try to lower the contrast of the texture, or maybe use plain white(ish) instead. These are just suggestions, you are welcome to tell me off Smiley

I hope you're not taking it the wrong way, i'm just saying this because this looks like my kind of game and i hope i can be of any help.

By the way, i kinda agree with Farbs about the name too Smiley I think something less descriptive would be better.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:47:51 AM by ak » Logged

DET. Defective
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »

Soon as I saw this, I immediately thought of Ski Stunt Simulator, and I remember how much I loved that game.

This looks awesome all around, definitely looking forward to it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic