Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:11:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Alternative languages
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Alternative languages  (Read 8054 times)
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

Are you using the 1.1 or 2.0 runtime? Did you have to go out of your way to get this working (i.e specifically avoid certain parts of .Net) or does Mono simply support all the parts that might be used in gamedev?
I'm using the 2.0 runtime, and haven't run into any problems.

If you're worried, Mono does provide a tool (MoMA) which you can run against your assemblies to check for compatibility. I wish it were non-graphical, so I could include it in my build process, but that's another task on tooling up for .NET.

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 11:57:04 AM »

Are you using the 1.1 or 2.0 runtime? Did you have to go out of your way to get this working (i.e specifically avoid certain parts of .Net) or does Mono simply support all the parts that might be used in gamedev?

I'm actually not sure which runtime I used. I didn't really use much of the .Net runtime though, so I didn't intentionally avoid anything. I just used things like lists and such which worked fine for me on both .Net/Windows and Mono/OSX.

I believe if you aren't using anything super insane everything should work fine, but I haven't gone back to C# after I had the problems with it for my engine. (The way I use SDL_Image and OpenGL on C/++ doesn't work on C#! Attempting to change it never worked out Cry)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:59:30 AM by Ryan » Logged
jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »

(not sure if anyone is interested, but I made a short tutorial on how to compile ocaml with opengl and sdl bindings on windows. its here http://itmmetelko.com/blog/?p=74 )

oneup
Level 1

worth 1000points

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 05:57:01 AM »

ocaml looks akward.

better try lisp+SDL: http://lispbuilder.sourceforge.net/#release ^__^!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 09:33:31 AM »

... It would be really cool if someone used Brainfuck as a scripting language Tongue

Hard as hell, but cool.

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 11:11:09 PM »

ocaml looks awkward just because it's a little different. I like the syntax. I added a minimal SDL example with keyboard input and moving sprite and it is made without any mutable data or global data for the state. http://pastebin.be/8182

lisp + sdl also looks interesting, is there openGL for list also?

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 12:37:51 AM »

I'd seriously be surprised if there weren't GL bindings for lisp.

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

Lisp looks right now a little too "wordy" for me. I like ocaml because it has very strong constructs and very little of noise. BUt I am interested in knowing lisp also , because it might seem wordy just because I don't yet know what is going on with code.

I looked at various lisp and scheme options a while ago, but it's problematic .. there are so many lisps, so I didn't even know where to dig-in. On the other hand finding any concrete binding where you see it's supported and has something written in it was hard to me. This link geeq gave with SDL bindings seems concrete and live to me... but I didn't find it when I was searching bach then.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic