Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:54:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[Contest] MoMinis GameCast #2 - mobile games development contest is launched
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Contest] MoMinis GameCast #2 - mobile games development contest is launched  (Read 3178 times)
tsmith
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 03:21:20 AM »

Mo'Minis Launches New Contest for Mobile Game Creators

If  you think you're up to the challenge of creating the world's next blockbuster mobile game or app, it's time to sign up for the Mo'Minis GameCast #2 contest sponsored by orange™ Israel.

In this contest, all you need to grab the big prize is a wild imagination – Mo'Minis Studio does the rest. Whether you're a first-timer or an experienced developer, Mo'Minis GameCast #2 is your chance to put ideas for gimmicks or games into motion. Examples and guidelines for creating gimmicks can be found on our gimmicks & series page.

Three easy steps to enroll:
1.       Download the Mo’Minis revolutionary free studio here.
2.       Create a series of 2-3 gimmicks or games around a shared theme.
3.       Upload your games to Mo’Minis site by January 25 – view the contest’s full timeline.

Prizes are bigger than ever – totaling over $11,000 in cash and gifts. If you are selected among the 10 finalists you will win $100 to perfect your gimmick. The final round features three big-time cash prizes, together with global distribution and eternal glory.

So what are you waiting for? Click for detailed timelines, prizes and registration information.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:16:20 AM by tsmith » Logged
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:13:06 AM »

WOW, I guess I gotta try this out. After all, the post says that my game will be a blockbuster and that the software is revolutionary!

tsmith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:01:14 AM »

you might not cure cancer, but we can both agree that coming up with the next super mario bro's or digger can leave an impression on the casual gaming world.

and as a side note even though it might not touch us on our day to day, you need only look at the resources apple, nokia and other great name in the mobile industry are allocating towards online app dev and distro.

give it a try bro, you might even enjoy the process Smiley

Cheers
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:32:53 AM »

Tell me that the studio has been significantly improved. I checked it out for the first compo and it was clearly rushed and buggy and didn't even support arrays.
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »

Extract from the Mo'Minis EULA:

6.  Grant of Commercialization Rights to Company. You hereby grant Company full commercialization rights in the Content, on a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, free of charge (subject to Section 7) fully assignable (including the right to grant the right to third parties) basis, including without limitation the right to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, enhance, create derivatives, digitize, adapt, publish and publicize, translate and transcribe, embody, transmit and broadcast, publicly perform and publicly display the Content by itself or through third parties either as free (promotional or ad-supported) or paid-for content, or to incorporate Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed (the 'Commercialization Rights'). Notwithstanding the abovementioned, the grant of Commercialization Rights in the Content in connection with the Mobile Applications, or within the Mobile Market shall be on an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, free of charge (subject to Section 7) fully assignable (including the right to grant the right to third parties) basis. For the purpose of this section the term 'Mobile Market' shall mean any cellular phones, smart phones, PDAs, hand held computers and any other mobile devices now known or developed in the future. Please be aware that once you create Mobile Applications using the Software, Company has the sole and complete discretion as to its use (including without limitation with respect to its further development, marketing and overall commercialization), and Company may remove it or use it on its web properties (such as, but not limited to: site, widgets, co-branded sites) for other applications and/or on other web properties, services and/or products or any other means in any format or medium now known or later developed by Company and/or its affiliates.

Pretty sweet deal.  Somebody creates the next Super Mario Brothers or Digger and leaves an impression on the casual gaming world, and Mo'Minis gets perpetual, royalty-free, exclusive rights to it on all mobile platforms, non-exclusive rights on all non-mobile platforms, and they only have to pay the developer $4000 for the privilege.  And then only if they declare that person the "winner";  non-winners don't get paid at all, but Mo'Minis still gets perpetual rights to anything the losers create.  Deal of the century, from Mo'Minis Ltd's point of view.

I wonder why that little gotcha about Mo'Minis getting complete perpetual royalty-free rights to all entries wasn't mentioned anywhere in the original contest description, or in the contest rules on the website, but was only buried deep in the middle of a giant wall of text in a EULA for "the software". 

I'm sure it was just an oversight, and Mo'Minis wasn't trying to hoodwink anyone.    Facepalm

I especially like how paragraph 5 of the EULA has the end user waiving their moral rights over what they create, so that Mo'Minis can freely modify their newly-owned entries without being obligated to get approval from the original author.  Classy.
tsmith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »

Tell me that the studio has been significantly improved. I checked it out for the first compo and it was clearly rushed and buggy and didn't even support arrays.

The studio has naturally been improved, and is constantly being worked on, you can read about the latest updates here .
We are hard at work on getting our next studio version out. to read more about the expected upgrades click here.

It is mainly due to feedback, first and fore most from our community but also from post's such as yours, that we are able to continue improving the studio, and therefor the accesibility, veriaty of supported devices and porting solutions.

which leads me to

Extract from the Mo'Minis EULA:

6.  Grant of Commercialization Rights to Company. You hereby grant Company full commercialization rights in the Content, on a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, free of charge (subject to Section 7) fully assignable (including the right to grant the right to third parties) basis, including without limitation the right to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, enhance, create derivatives, digitize, adapt, publish and publicize, translate and transcribe, embody, transmit and broadcast, publicly perform and publicly display the Content by itself or through third parties either as free (promotional or ad-supported) or paid-for content, or to incorporate Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed (the 'Commercialization Rights'). Notwithstanding the abovementioned, the grant of Commercialization Rights in the Content in connection with the Mobile Applications, or within the Mobile Market shall be on an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, free of charge (subject to Section 7) fully assignable (including the right to grant the right to third parties) basis. For the purpose of this section the term 'Mobile Market' shall mean any cellular phones, smart phones, PDAs, hand held computers and any other mobile devices now known or developed in the future. Please be aware that once you create Mobile Applications using the Software, Company has the sole and complete discretion as to its use (including without limitation with respect to its further development, marketing and overall commercialization), and Company may remove it or use it on its web properties (such as, but not limited to: site, widgets, co-branded sites) for other applications and/or on other web properties, services and/or products or any other means in any format or medium now known or later developed by Company and/or its affiliates.

Pretty sweet deal.  Somebody creates the next Super Mario Brothers or Digger and leaves an impression on the casual gaming world, and Mo'Minis gets perpetual, royalty-free, exclusive rights to it on all mobile platforms, non-exclusive rights on all non-mobile platforms, and they only have to pay the developer $4000 for the privilege.  And then only if they declare that person the "winner";  non-winners don't get paid at all, but Mo'Minis still gets perpetual rights to anything the losers create.  Deal of the century, from Mo'Minis Ltd's point of view.

I wonder why that little gotcha about Mo'Minis getting complete perpetual royalty-free rights to all entries wasn't mentioned anywhere in the original contest description, or in the contest rules on the website, but was only buried deep in the middle of a giant wall of text in a EULA for "the software". 

I'm sure it was just an oversight, and Mo'Minis wasn't trying to hoodwink anyone.    Facepalm

I especially like how paragraph 5 of the EULA has the end user waiving their moral rights over what they create, so that Mo'Minis can freely modify their newly-owned entries without being obligated to get approval from the original author.  Classy.

Valid point, that's exactly why we have it on our site, and not at the end of some crooked stairs, leading to a dimly lit basement, in an out of order WC with a sigh "beware of the tiger" on it.

How come we didn't publish it with the post? WTF Well that, you see, is because it's not really an announcement. The EULA is constant as is our revenue model, which states that 40% of the game's net revenues go to the developers. Both of the above stand and are relevant to all games distributed by us (regardless to any standing in the contest) within, and more importantly, without the contest and are what drives our developing community forward.

The bottom line is that as a community in which both the company and the developers exist, all sides gain. We get more content, which we can then distribute and adapt to the different targets on one hand, and the developers get a ever improving, developer oriented  studio which eliminates the need to specialize in a very narrow field of several mobile devices and by which they can expand their target users and take advantage of our worldwide business collaborations.

I thank you both for the posts, I'll appreciate any further comments or questions you might have.

Cheers,
Tom
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic