Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 05:00:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProbability 0 (original & outdated)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Author Topic: Probability 0 (original & outdated)  (Read 80536 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »

Quote from: Droqen link=topic=9224.msg287016#msg287016 [size=6pt
"Pyglet unfortunately is incompatible with Snow Leopard's system python.
Snow Leopard ships with a 64-bit build of python, and because pyglet depends
on the Carbon API, it cannot run in 64-bit environment.

You can download and install a 32-bit version of python from python.org,
which should allow pyglet to run."[/size]
Hey, bit of a late response, and I haven't looked closely into what your game requires, but...

Snow Leopard's python can run in either 32 bit or 64 bit mode.

It goes to 64 bit by default. But there's an environment variable or a "defaults" key or something that can tell it to run in 32 bit mode.

Checking google I find this advice:

The Python that comes with 10.6 apparently honors an environment variable called VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT. If that's set to 'yes', invoking Python from /usr/bin/python brings Python up in 32-bit mode. By default, it comes up in 64-bit mode.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »

Wrote an article. hope derek wont mind that i made the music Tongue

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »

:D Article! Thanks, JMickle!

mcc: I'll take a look into that, for sure.

Pesto_Nightmare: Found it on Reddit? o: // There's a lot more to come, past the first mini-boss :D

edit Vanguard: Hah, I'll tell you only that I certainly considered something of the sort.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:09:00 PM by Droqen » Logged

ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »

I'm going to have to report that the dots appear in 1.0 as well.

Their appearance coincides with a (perhaps?) 10% slowdown in frame rate.

And none of that is related to the fact that I've yet to break 1k or level 5.
ortoslon
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »

i don't move when i press right from that position because spiky blocks are slightly smaller than solid blocks. please make them the same size because stumbling becomes annoying when you have spike armor
Curseman
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »

That actually is pretty inconvenient, but I never remember to mention it.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »

If (when? hopefully) I end up fixing that, it'll just let the player do a little step-up sort of thing.

The size difference is there, though, so that when the player lands halfway between a spike block and a regular block, I don't get collision detection issues D; (i.e. player lands mostly on regular block but partially on spike block and technically hits the spike block "first" and so takes damage).

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:59 PM »

Yeah, I think a step-up is the best idea.
Parthon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2010, 08:57:33 PM »

Not trivial to code though. Good luck. Wink
Curseman
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »

That is a good idea.  I figured the difference was there for hitbox reasons.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

Note: It's also there to make maneuvering around a spike block a bit more manageable.
As it is, with sufficient skill you can usually make your way around spike blocks that seem tough to avoid.

And I like that. Grin

(Note I am still bumbling through step-up coding.
A friend of mine pointed out something interesting: that this little bump is just a little tiny bit of an extra obstacle to be applied even to those with spike armour; I will still fix it though, as it could pop up and feel like an annoying bug (I'm stuck!) more than a gameplay element.)

ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »

Should I be picking Smash a lot more than I am?

I keep running into inescapables. Full screen wipes of spike and solid.

Happens a lot more than I would expect. Should this be happening? Am I suffering at the hands of malice?
ortoslon
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »

collected suggestions that i told droqen on irc:
  • subtle gradients for background color (dark blue <-> dark purple, might be linked to depth, damage or danger)
  • no fall damage when you stomp enemies
  • boring condensed HUD: pickup queue, star count, good old life meter; move score and depth to the pause/perk screen
  • droqen's suggestion that i agree with: headbutts should deal 2 damage
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:19:22 PM by ortoslon » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2010, 06:45:33 PM »

Chao I'm sorry that I have failed to fix the dots bug ;__;

Smash is good but it shouldn't be necessary... are you absolutely certain it's totally blocked off, and not just a twisted air path? If you think to do so, get me some screenshots.

You might just be suffering at the hands of malice, though.

edit ::

Stomp is going to become more of a useful Knees+ replacement than a really offensive tool. It will do 1 damage, always. But it gains the ability to cushion any landing. If you want to save on points or use your body as a weapon, the new Stomp will let you replace, at least under some conditions, the Knees+ and Double Jump combo. However, you need to position yourself right or it's useless. Obviously, K+DJ is still more universally versatile. If you liked the way Stomp was before, voice complaints now.

Headbutt deals 2 damage, making it a more viable 5th-tier offensive option as well as remaining a useful mobility utility.

Boring HUD is on its way. Life counter is still just as messed up (:D) but everything is condensed, at the top of the screen, and depth is more reliable (unfortunately).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:33:54 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »

I prefer the new stomp. Although suicide stomps may be fun, the extra damage is not worth the health.
Also with the getting stuck on spikes problem, the not being able to move easily is not the problem. Often there is a enemy directly above me, and if I jump to get off the spikes, I hit the enemy.
ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2010, 04:16:29 AM »

Does the depth have to be more reliable? Are you reverting to one mode of measurement for boring HUD?

Also, can't you take a middle ground on the stomp thing? I don't remember if the damage taken and given scaled with fall distance, but you could loosen the scale a bit if it did. If it did scale and you only loosened the damage taken while leaving the damage given as ridiculous, you create an interesting risk-reward dynamic with stomp.

Of course, I don't think I actually know the mechanics behind stomp, so feel free to ignore me. Also, if that really messes with balance somehow, ignore me. Smiley
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2010, 06:38:48 AM »

Chao, the way original Stomp worked:

You would take fall damage as though you had hit a block. Fall too far, you get hurt.
If you fall past "regular" fall damage height (even if you have Knees+ it uses regular fall damage) it deals 2 damage instead of 1. If you fall even further than Knees+ can save you from, it deals 3 damage instead of 2.

I never really found huge huge stomps to be useful until I removed fall damage from it. And then I realized that made it a bit too useful.

But the cushioning is something I like a lot so I decided to see how well Stomp worked if it returned to its 1-damage roots :)

mokesmoe: Cool! I'm glad. -- I'd like to mention that getting stuck on spikes sounds kind of nice. I almost don't want to fix it. Just because you have armour doesn't mean spikes should be totally nullified :D // I probably still will for the above mentioned (if it's on the last page does it still count as "above"?) previously mentioned reasons.

ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2010, 10:29:53 AM »

Huh. Interesting.

So fall damage is always 1? I understand how damage dealt would change under old stomp, but I'm still unclear on damage taken from falling.

I still find the tradeoff between huge stomp vs. falling off the screen interesting. Smiley But pillow stomping sounds fun too.

And I'm still working on getting a screen of inescapable setups.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »

Oh! Yeah. In such a way to keep things nice and hidden, I'll only say yes -- fall damage is always 1.

Ortoslon gave me an escapable but not-supposed-to-show-up screenshot, but keep trying to screencap if you see one :]

Stomp Evil

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »

High score so far is 35658, on potential-mode.

I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FINAL UPGRADE IS! Mock Anger (the one below blockpunch2)

I AM FREE!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic