Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:12:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingdungeon (a collaboration between cactus and mr. podunkian)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: dungeon (a collaboration between cactus and mr. podunkian)  (Read 87271 times)
Eraser
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »

Hahaha awesome.

Theres an alternate ending guys... I got it...

The jump gravity got lighter when I put on windows XP SP2 compatibility, and I could jump over the sword. I wonder if the different gravity is a bug and if its just supposed to be a different ending if you think of jumping over the sword or if its really that the game is supposed to be different depending on the windows you use.
BAH! I knew it, too bad I can't make that jump.
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

Maybe Windows XP compatibility mode is making it so the game can't access wherever it stores it's "random seed" (registry?), so it effectively gives you another shot at having different physics.

EDIT: Holy shit.  I am so right, guys.  I put the game in Windows XP compatibility mode, and now the bats move slowly but the water kills me.  I told you guys this was a troll.  I am totally convinced of this.  There's no way you can "accidentally" make water kill you sometimes.

EDIT2: Windows 98 mode makes bats move slowly and water that doesn't kill me.  I beat the game in this "mode" and I died maybe once or twice.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:19:08 PM by The North » Logged
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »

This game is brilliant.

to quote cactus:
"Dungeon is a tragic platformer about what can happen in a
castle, and how it affects people like you and me."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:13:21 PM by The North » Logged
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2009, 09:19:28 PM »

I actually "beat" the game while playing on XP compatibility mode. When I play on my Vista rig without any changes the platforming is ridiculously slippery and impossible. In XP mode it actually playable if still hard as fuck.
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2009, 09:21:30 PM »

This game is brilliant.

to quote cactus:
"Dungeon is a tragic platformer about what can happen in a
castle, and how it affects people like you and me."
lol funny game unexpected XDD
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »

I think that last line in Cactus' quote is the key. I'm thinking all this is intentional and we're all just experiencing how the castle "affects people like you and me"

The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »

List of effects that I've personally witnessed:

-fast bats
-water that kills you
-long wait after death for respawn

List of effects I think exist based on others' experiences:

-game plays in slow motion
-guy can't make first jump
-guy's jump is higher and can get over sword at end
-different room names (thanks Paul)
-checkpoints don't work
-jump is just slightly lower (or speed is decreased or something) making the one spike room hard but the first jump still possible Actually, reexamining the evidence, it seems this one should be "spike hitbox expanded"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:43:10 PM by The North » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2009, 09:34:57 PM »

you forgot the name variations for the rooms

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »

Bloody brilliant if it's all intentional, it would explain the silence since they created the thread.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »

typical indie game
 Hand Clap  Roll Eyes

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »

QFT.

I died more times on that level than I did in the entire rest of the game.

Weird... I found this level pretty easy. Have you tried jumping from the top step to land past the first spike? For some reason, in these types of rooms I always found the first spike hardest if I tried clearing it in the conventional way.

Shit! But playing the game again now, I'm finding this room really tricky. It seems like the collision detection is far more punishing. It's still beatable, just. Sadly I wasn't able to jump over the dagger this time...

If these are bugs, I hope they are never fixed.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »

I guess this is all a wacky experiment, then. The experience I got was extremely disappointing, so I gotta say I'm disappointed.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2009, 12:28:24 AM »

Diabolical! So which compatibility version is this game actually beatable on? WHICH OS DO THEY FAVOR?

TheDustin
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2009, 01:30:14 AM »

This conspiracy theory would be hilarious if true, given that this got a wired.com article. Big Laff
MaloEspada
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2009, 03:30:43 AM »

I found it weird that arthur, who is experienced with MMF for god knows how many centuries, would make a very glitched game.
It seems like everything was intentional and the silence just strenghtens this theory.
Now where are the developers to explain the mechanics to us?

Also, whichever compatibility I use, the game is always slow (I use XP 64 bit btw).
Morden
Level 0

Ugh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2009, 04:27:14 AM »

The best thing is, I want to experience those glitches, but the game has been running fine for me since the second I started playing it. Changing the compatibility mode doesn't affect it at all. Everything works fine and fast, I have no problems with long jumps, etc.

If the developers won't comment on it, I hope that someone else figures out how to adjust the game and / or cause those various side-effects.

The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2009, 06:15:52 AM »

I don't think it's a particular OS they favor; again, I think the game sets some random seed right when the game starts to give you a certain "version" of the game.  For whatever reason, when running in compatibility mode the game stores this seed somewhere else, so you effectively get another shot at either seeing or not seeing the effects.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2009, 07:33:02 AM »

pussyfooting is just fucking impossible. the lava kills me every time.
Morden
Level 0

Ugh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2009, 07:37:26 AM »

Ok, while the compatibility modes didn't do it for me, moving the game files from one location to another did. When playing the game, I noticed that the water at NO PUSSYFOOTING can kill me, and there's no way I can clear that distance without touching it.

When you run the game from a new location, it unpacks itself anew. It's a temporary folder that can be found in local settings. Just look for mrt32.tmp when the game is running. So if you're having problems, just move the game somewhere else. It will unpack the files once more and will most likely cause new behaviour.

Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2009, 07:49:21 AM »

well I tried that several times but the water still kills me. this shouldn't even be problem. 0 stars.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic