Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:51:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingdungeon (a collaboration between cactus and mr. podunkian)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: dungeon (a collaboration between cactus and mr. podunkian)  (Read 87266 times)
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »

my thoughts on the game, quoted from the frontpage

Paul Eres said 1 day later:
what. who else could make a game in 48 hours that gets on the frontpage of tigsource, timw’s indiegames blog, and WIRED of all places? and gets more comments in those blogs and in the forums than games that have been worked on for years, like au sable? people will probably remember this game for years, and remember the tricks it used (if in fact the conspiracy theory is true). not to mention all the tigsource frontpage trolls it peeved off (its greatest accomplishment). for 2 days that’s pretty good, i’ve nothing but admiration for it.
Well, first of all, Cactus is pretty "famous" in the indie games community (even the Times talked about him) so i'm guessing any game he makes from now on will get good coverage. That's not a critic, i'm just saying, his reputation kinda works for him now.

Then yes, you're right, a lot of people talk, argue, comment about it. So what ? The guy says the game sucks, and that's his opinion, but i don't see how the fact that a lot of people talked about it says the contrary.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »

Cactus Twittered about his IGF game, and that made the rounds right quick on twitter.

I liked this game before, I love it now.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
TheCube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »

Oh man, I got to the sword in about 10 minutes with few problems (and of course ran right into it) but I just thought everybody else sucked and I ruled.

This game is evil, but awesome.  But evil.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »

I like that I have to meta game the game to get the good ending.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »

Then yes, you're right, a lot of people talk, argue, comment about it. So what ? The guy says the game sucks, and that's his opinion, but i don't see how the fact that a lot of people talked about it says the contrary.

the 'so what' is that there are different measures of success. sometimes giving players some fun is the goal, sometimes it isn't. cactus is famous for saying that games don't have to be fun. the nyt article reiterated that. my point was that if you only judge the success of a game by how much enjoyment you personally as an individual had with that game, that's a petty short-sighted measure of that game's value. it's kind of like saying 'i don't have any use for a cell phone or a bank account, so cell phones and bank accounts suck'.

ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2009, 02:04:25 PM »

I, of course, agree with that, and i agree that making people talk can be a sign of success. But to me it's a success if it makes people talk about something bigger than the game itself (ie Edmund who lead to interesting discussions about rape, the way it should be discussed etc).

I'm saying that the game is bad, i'm just not convinced that it's "genius" or that "people will remember this game for years". But maybe it'll help people think gaming possibilities differently and lead to new ideas, who knows.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:09:13 PM by ak » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2009, 02:08:29 PM »

people are talking about things beyond the game itself, though -- just read some of the comments here, or on the frontpage. for instance, someone on the frontpage made a very interesting point: if you think this game is "playing" you, what does that say about normal games, and how they are playing you even more dastardly?

ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2009, 02:14:16 PM »

Seems like my edit came too late Smiley I confess i did not see the comments on the frontpage, i only read the posts here that are more like "wtf can't jump".

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »

besides, another measure of success (which i called its greatest) was annoying the frontpage trolls; one of them even threatened to leave unless 'art games' get a warning label so he doesn't have to play them! if he leaves, that'd be even more of a success.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »

if he leaves, that'd be even more of a success.

Antagonism creates more antagonism.
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »

if he leaves, that'd be even more of a success.

Antagonism creates more antagonism.

I enjoy a good platitude myself.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »

not in all cases. sometimes standing up to a bully gets the bully to stop doing what he's doing, sometimes it gets him to bully more. depends on the situation. in any case, the indie games community certainly doesn't gain much from people who hang around just to make fun of every game that indie devs release.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »

Ooh, I like this "platitude" word. Must remember that one.  Smiley
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2009, 02:55:55 PM »

i'm sure cactus and podunkian care about "stars"

Actually yes, I'm sure they do, I think they're some sort of proletarian versions of blow and rohrher

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »

...And it turns out it was just bugs
My Word!

MaloEspada
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »

Tragedy and Comedy.
The tragic part is the infinite amount of random bug variants.
The comic part is both cactus and podunkian watching this thread and laughing their asses off.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »

A game that plays you and trolls the trolls. How postmodern. Smiley

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
pgil
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »

this has also been my experience, i never got any bugs, no matter what i tried. although perhaps the 'review copy' he sent me was bug-free, so that the review wouldn't mention the bugs?
Fucking brilliant :D. Who else got review copies?
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2009, 04:39:40 PM »

Sorry about the radio silence, we felt it was necessary to let this experiment live its own life for a while.

Anyway, this should pretty much make everything clear:
www.superfundungeonrun.com/clarity.zip

And here's a bugfree version of the game:
www.superfundungeonrun.com/dungeonv2.zip

Also, sorry to anyone who was offended by the idea behind the game. Even if we in some ways tried to play you, you'll have to remember that we spent a bit over two days making this game, so the joke is really on us. (Although, this wasn't meant to be a joke, but an amusing experiment.) Hopefully you'll all agree that this indeed did convey a bit of tragedy and some comedy one way or another Smiley

Thanks for playing and making this game a worthwhile project for us! Gentleman
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »

yay!

edit: edited the frontpage
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:53:21 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Jump to: