Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:21:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingdungeon (a collaboration between cactus and mr. podunkian)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: dungeon (a collaboration between cactus and mr. podunkian)  (Read 86909 times)
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »

North may not have been the first, but he was certainly the most vocal, and that's what matters.
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2009, 09:54:27 PM »

Yeah dudes, North was one of the first to say things definitively when the others were still unsure. It's OK to give him credit for that, at least.
North may not have been the first, but he was certainly the most vocal, and that's what matters.

You're both asses.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »

Ah me. I missed out as I only played the bugfix version. However, reading this thread was amazingly fun, you guys did a great job with this one.

Also, nobody has pointed this out yet but the artwork of the king is DOUBLE A AWESOME.

Also, by my reading of this thread, North wins hands down. Just accept it kids! He practically listed the "bugs" point form and had more or less the right explanation before anybody twigged. Hahahaha!

PS: Seriously is there something past the final dagger?
mluongo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2009, 12:03:54 AM »

I had the issue with the impossible first jump. Don't know if you attempted to fix that recently, but I just had it today. XP compatibility mode fixed it, but that is definitely an issue. I was a moment away from stopping right there at the third room.

After that I failed to get past the "pussyfooting" room and watched someone else play through it in that YouTube vid.

Looks like a simple platformer with a little twist at the end. Cool.

I like the art style along with its theme. And who doesn't like dungeons?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2009, 12:27:54 AM »

I had the issue with the impossible first jump. Don't know if you attempted to fix that recently, but I just had it today. XP compatibility mode fixed it, but that is definitely an issue. I was a moment away from stopping right there at the third room.

After that I failed to get past the "pussyfooting" room and watched someone else play through it in that YouTube vid.

Looks like a simple platformer with a little twist at the end. Cool.

I like the art style along with its theme. And who doesn't like dungeons?

there's now a bug free version of the game. read more of the thread to find it, or the frontpage

mluongo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2009, 12:44:55 AM »

I used the download link in the OP's post.

The jump problem was definitely there. I think I then made it on my first try after switching the compatibility mode.

Hope I'm not reporting bad news, but that is what I encountered.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2009, 01:32:24 AM »

that's the dl link that still has the bugs. use the new one

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2009, 03:13:30 AM »

Looks like I was pretty lucky to get a 7 ("artgame room titles"). The weird thing is, I still couldn't make the first jump on some tries.  Crazy

Anyway, I guess we all agree that this is the greatest gaming prank ever!  Beer!
Also, if the intention was to "troll the trolls", cactus and Podunkian succeeded. Epically.
It’s not about normal games vs independent games. It’s about independent games vs artsy social experiences. This is not a game, really, or maybe you have to give your own definition of a videogame.

Some devs are still making good games, it’d be sad if those started to be suspected because of some guys. The next time I see a bunch of pixels I won’t know what to think of it. It may be a good, real game like Rockboshers, or just some lame prank like this one - how would we know?

And why wasn’t there any of such artsy pieces of crap 20 years ago? Because there was no internet place where people would have discussed them. Proof that there’s just zero value as a game.
  :D
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2009, 03:22:53 AM »

when i read that, i thought, there were totally art games / experimental games / non-game games 20 years ago.

there were games like little computer people, by the maker of pitfall: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Computer_People

there were also games like MULE, guns and butter, the legacy of siboot, gossip, alter ego, will wright's first game (not sim city, the other one), the list goes on and on -- all extremely experimental, most of which would definitely be called art games or non-games today; if anything games were *more* experimental back then
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:27:37 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2009, 09:12:13 AM »

I got #12, which was really frustrating. I was going to complain, but I restrianed myself, and boy am I glad about that decision.

Bravo. Screamy

I wanna make robots.
xot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »

LCP? Raid on Bungeling Bay? Gossip? Paul knows his history.  Beer!

Lime
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »

God, I can't get through Pussy stage Angry

That's how the game goes,
That's how the lime rolls.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »

Little computer people is a fascinating game. So is MULE.
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2009, 01:54:11 PM »

M.U.L.E. is a great game.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »

I had an idea like this once. I thought it would be cool if you filmed two different versions of a movie, and each had a different twist at the end (e.g. in one Snape kills Dumbledore, in the other Dumbledore kills Snape). Then it would be fun hearing people getting confused because they were talking about something completely different.

This was even better than my idea. Kudos!

-SirNiko
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »

People would figure out a major plot difference like that quickly. What you need to do is something more subtle, like making the bad guys less ugly and more sexy, so that half the audience cannot understand why the other half of the audience was rooting for the bad guys.

Dungeon did it pretty well, although maybe even Dungeon was too exaggerated, since some people reporting the game being completely impossible.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »

I think the impossible first jump was actually brilliant.

It looks the same in both the possible and not possible versions, so it's not like you can see the bridge is screwed up or whatever. So you get a string of people saying "First jump's impossible!" and then a string of people saying "No it's not, you suck!" when it really is impossible.

I'm disappointed that nobody replied to the guy who had piece of cake and leap of faith switched and complained leap of faith was really hard: that was possibly the most clever switch, since one is actually difficult (and three screens from the last checkpoint) while the other is impossible to fail.

-SirNiko
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »

I think it would have been better, perhaps, if the switches were between easy and really hard, rather than easy and impossible. As it was, it was fairly obvious that something was up as soon as somebody posted a video of the first jump. If that jump had've been pixel-perfect possible in the "bugged" state, it would have made for much better squabbles I reckon.

Still, it's fun reading all the comments from people who obviously make posts on threads without reading them first.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2009, 03:45:24 PM »

I had an idea like this once. I thought it would be cool if you filmed two different versions of a movie, and each had a different twist at the end (e.g. in one Snape kills Dumbledore, in the other Dumbledore kills Snape). Then it would be fun hearing people getting confused because they were talking about something completely different.

This was even better than my idea. Kudos!

-SirNiko
It's been done. Both intentionally and kind of unintentionally. The De Nero one wasn't very popular so didn't provoke much confusion, and Butterfly Effect's ending was different in the US version. It was then easy to see who outside the US had downloaded the pirated US version, which was quite funny.

Morden
Level 0

Ugh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »

Back on the Dungeon topic, I made an attempt to record a decent speed-run, but screwed up the IT WASN'T room. Oh well. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. In the meantime:

- > Dungeon Could-have-been-faster-run

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic