Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:31:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLand of Lim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Land of Lim  (Read 3440 times)
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2008, 08:47:28 PM »

So here it is!  I wanted to tell everyone about this game that Louisa and I have been working on for the last month or so.  It's called the Land of Lim.

Basically, it's an RPG-style game that is played in your web-browser.  It's built with PHP, mySQL, Javascript, and AJAX.  We're not yet ready to allow people to try it out just yet, but we wanted to get the word out about it, and spark some interest.  Fairly soon, we plan on opening the door for a very few selected people to join us for Closed Beta testing, and after that, we'll be starting Open Beta testing before we go Live.  I have been coding, and Louisa has created all the artwork so far, we may be looking for more people to join us in the future.

We have a large number of different monsters that you can encounter:

An overwhelming number of Items - equipment, combat items, etc:

Gameplay:
You choose between one of three possible character types: Fighter, Mage, Builder, and explore a vast world, fight monsters, obtain money and items, and grow stronger.  The world is large, with multiple areas, broken down into Zones (where you find most of the monsters to fight) and  towns (where shops and Non-Player Characters [NPCs] are).  You can undertake quests, typically given out by NPCs, which give you rewards that can help your character become stronger, or open pathways to new areas.

As you explore, you'll encounter monsters to fight.  Combat is really simple: you just pick the action you wish to perform, such as using an item from your inventory, or attacking with your weapon, or using a skill that you learn through leveling up.

You gain XP, money, and items when you defeat opponents:

Items can be equipped for bonus effects:

As you level up, more and more areas will become available to you.

Behind the scenes:
From a coding standpoint, theres a lot of great things going on behind the curtain.

I've developed a very useful Admin system that allows us to easily and quickly add or edit content:

This means that Louisa, or whoever, can create whole areas for the player to explore without having to get into the gritty aspects of messing with the database, or coding.

I've also come up with a system of using a special pseudo-code like system that all items, attacks, monsters, players, etc, can use to define special abilities, damage, and such.  Essentially, we create "effects", which have a list of simple codes that define how they effect the item, or whatever, it's attached to.

In the below example, if we attach the Minor Poison effect to an attack, then if that attack hits (either a monster hitting the player, or the other way around), the defender will get the Minor Poison Buff for an amount of turns defined by the attack, and will take 2 damage each round, and have 2 less Mind and 2 less Body until it wears off.  We can also apply effects to items: such as Minor Magic Shield.  If we placed it on an item the player can equip, as long as the player wears that item, they'll be affected by that effect.

Conclusion:
So, we're both very excited about this game, and the way that it's coming together.  We both hope that we can get other people to share even just a fraction of our excitement.  I'll post some more details as we move along with this project.  In the meantime, feel free to ask either of us questions, or, if you are interested in helping out, or participating in our Beta Testing, send me an e-mail: [email protected]

Thank you for taking the time to read this, feel free to copy and share as much as you like.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:50:11 AM »

Can you tell us something a bit more interesting about the game? "Browser based RPG in ye olde fantasy land" is more like a genre than a feature set. I want to know what's going to make it cool!
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:00:28 AM »

Can you tell us something a bit more interesting about the game? "Browser based RPG in ye olde fantasy land" is more like a genre than a feature set. I want to know what's going to make it cool!

Ultimately, the goal is to have a large amount of content for players to explore.  Areas and quests that take the player to level 100, and higher.  The main draw would be for people who enjoy plenty of content, character progression, item collection, and strategy.

Players will be able to pick from one of three classes, and then choose to progress that character in one of three directions: Aggression, Defense, and Recovery, so a player who chooses to be a Fighter is not limited to simply hitting things for lots of damage, but will be able to customize somewhat.

There will also be a lot of side-content, such as optional quests, areas that need to be unlocked, secret items, and things.  There will be some kind of award system - badges for performing certain tasks, trophies, etc.

We don't yet have all of the details worked out for the higher-level content, we're still in the phase of getting the whole thing to work first, and then adding stuff to it, but the number one priority is to make it something fun, where anyone can jump on for a few minutes, or hours, or whatever, run around and kill some stuff, or interact with other players, pvp, work on quests that will eventually lead them to some epic conclusion - and just have fun doing whatever they like best.

I forgot to mention that we plan on making the game free for all users, and (hopefully) ad-free as well.  We may implement a sort of donation system, where players can choose to donate a couple of dollars to help keep things running, and be rewarded with special items, but this sort of thing is still a long way away.

All of these things are not yet solidified, and may change as development continues.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 07:12:28 AM »

Well, it's hard to give any feedback without anything playable. Do you have a demo or public build you could post?

SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:35:11 AM »

Well, it's hard to give any feedback without anything playable. Do you have a demo or public build you could post?

Unfortunately, I don't have anything that I'm ready to let people play with just yet.   In a few weeks, possibly.  I'll post here when I have something ready.

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 05:46:41 PM »

Hmm, reminds me a lot of Kingdom of Loathing. Which is a good thing.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »

Looking nice. Smiley Like the art style.

Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:49:50 PM »

If you execute the game well it could be pretty interesting.  But its hard to tell if its anything different than the many rpg games out there.  And the graphics are not the thing for people to get excited about...but that isn't everything.  I like that you have lots of items and stuff. 
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 10:03:13 AM »

Is there a limiting factor to how much I can play a la Kingdom of Loathing, or is it more whenever you want style smashy-smashy?

What does a builder do differently, is he a crafter or does he make buildings, which would be cool,

Are there races?

Can a fighter have spells? like creating your own hybrid classes Diablo style?

If you have such nifty admin tools, can I use them and make a space version?

How important is Bacony?

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 10:32:26 AM »

I apologize for the delayed response, I haven't had a chance to check back here in awhile...

Is there a limiting factor to how much I can play a la Kingdom of Loathing, or is it more whenever you want style smashy-smashy?
We currently plan to have a set number of Turns that a player can use each day.  While the number of turns per day has not yet been decided (we're leaning towards 100/day), similar in vein to KoL, you can use items, equipment, abilities, etc to increase that number.

What does a builder do differently, is he a crafter or does he make buildings, which would be cool,
Builders create all kinds of things, like gadgets, weapons, and things like that.  They kind of have a balance between physical damage and 'magic' damage.

Are there races?
At this time, there are only Humans.  We have discussed different races, although nothing is planned at this time to implement them.

Can a fighter have spells? like creating your own hybrid classes Diablo style?
All three classes have spells, they just serve different purposes.  Generally, Fighters have spells/abilities that deal with physical attacks and defense, such as  an ability that deals extra damage, or a buff that prevents physical damage.  They will have some abilities that deal with magic, such as adding Fire damage to their attacks, or something, but they will be less powerful than a Mage's magic abilities.  On the other hand, Mages will have more magic abilities than physical ones, and Builders will have a nearly equal amount of both.

If you have such nifty admin tools, can I use them and make a space version?
Once the game is finished, we plan to create a stand-alone package for the admin tools.

How important is Bacony?
Bacony is a buff that gives +2 Mind and +2 Body for 10 turns.
It also makes your face all greasy. Mmmmm bacon! Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic