Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 04:39:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Gameplay Mechanics Voting (ends Dec 12)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Gameplay Mechanics Voting (ends Dec 12)  (Read 25203 times)
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »

Random Suggestion: I was considering making a fighting game with a single health meter, that functioned somewhat like a game of tug of war. There would be a dot in the middle of the meter, and each time the player hit his opponent, it would push the dot closer to their opponent's side (and vice versa). If the dot passed a player's edge of the meter, that player would lose. "Tough" characters would have more space between the dot and edge to start. This would make fights between two evenly matched players epic, since either player could easily make a comeback. On the other hand, a system like this would be much more difficult to implement in a game where over two fighters are allowed, and it may be too gritty a system for a light-hearted game. But it might be something to think about.

Battle Stadium Don has a similar energy bar thingie...its fun, but the smash the hell out of the screen character thingie from smash bros its more fun. IMO
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ioFFZRHUNME
Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 09:29:37 PM »

I also like SSB's launching finish blast the character off the stage attacks (and the power-pellet collecting thing), but then the game would be seen as too closely mimicking SSB (and even if we knocked the ball out of the park I doubt we could ever live up to the polish of SSB, and the comparisons would inevitably arise.)

If we could come up with something just as novel and cool as SSB's knocking the enemy off the screen thing I'd be all for that.

EDIT: Also it'd make an interesting and satisfying end to any match.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:31:31 PM by Ixis » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 11:11:43 PM »

Power Stone + Smash Bros = Win

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 11:49:11 PM »

Personally, i just love the multiple gameplay modes in multiplayer that "Mario Wars" has to offer.
Like, "chicken" "Tag" "Star Shine" "Jail" "Classic","Capture the flag" etc... different kind of customizable rules would be awesome i think, as they make a really rich multiplayer experience.

So instead of worrying about ripping one game style...lets rip them all!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 11:59:16 PM »

Even better! Kiss

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 01:30:57 AM »

Even better! Kiss

Totally this. The more the better I say, but then again, I'm not a programmer.

Sorry for the hiatus, xmas holidays you see. I'll start recontributing what I can for this.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 11:08:58 AM »

Structure: Non-traditional
Control: 2 button
Combat: I would like it to be timing based but ultimately I don't know how you could keep it from denigrating into a button mash since most who aren't too adept at fighters ultimately end up mashing.

Personally, i just love the multiple gameplay modes in multiplayer that "Mario Wars" has to offer.
Like, "chicken" "Tag" "Star Shine" "Jail" "Classic","Capture the flag" etc... different kind of customizable rules would be awesome i think, as they make a really rich multiplayer experience.

You, my friend, are a genius.

Multiple modes akin to SMW would rock my fucking socks off!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 06:41:05 PM »

Combat: I would like it to be timing based but ultimately I don't know how you could keep it from denigrating into a button mash since most who aren't too adept at fighters ultimately end up mashing.
Which is why they lose.
And when they lose so often they either quit or get better, leaving the non-mashers to beat on a new generation of mashers thus repeating the cycle. I'm still sort of equating this to Smash brothers, where although the moves are incredibly simple, those who know what does what will always beat the crap out of a butt'n masher.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 06:57:44 PM »

Which is why they lose.
And when they lose so often they either quit or get better, leaving the non-mashers to beat on a new generation of mashers thus repeating the cycle. I'm still sort of equating this to Smash brothers, where although the moves are incredibly simple, those who know what does what will always beat the crap out of a butt'n masher.

Agreed Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »

seconded (or is it thirded?)
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 12:09:58 AM »

I think it would be cool to have a fighting game where the objective isn't to rack up damage a la SSB or to drain a life bar a la SF; what if the objective of the game was to literally disable/destroy your opponent? The players goal would be to attack vital areas of their opponent (eyes, groin, knees, liver, throat) and render him/her defenseless. There would be a lot of movement options (rolling, bobbing, weaving, jumping, dashing etc.) also things like parrying, grappling, reversals etc. The focus would be on setting your opponent up for special critical attacks that target specific areas of the body. Fights could last a really long time or they could end in an instant, and there is no second round...
 I don't know how feasible this is but its been an idea in my head for a long time.
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 01:58:14 AM »

I think it would be cool to have a fighting game where the objective isn't to rack up damage a la SSB or to drain a life bar a la SF; what if the objective of the game was to literally disable/destroy your opponent? The players goal would be to attack vital areas of their opponent (eyes, groin, knees, liver, throat) and render him/her defenseless. There would be a lot of movement options (rolling, bobbing, weaving, jumping, dashing etc.) also things like parrying, grappling, reversals etc. The focus would be on setting your opponent up for special critical attacks that target specific areas of the body. Fights could last a really long time or they could end in an instant, and there is no second round...
 I don't know how feasible this is but its been an idea in my head for a long time.
No.  That might work for an FPS or Worms-type game, but that kind of accuracy just isn't possible in a beat-em-up.  It would lead to a lot of random and annoying deaths.

I have an original idea of my own.  Platforms could have health meters, and after enough attacks, would disappear.  They'd regenerate quickly, of course - the point would be to keep players on their toes.  Having walls in addition to platforms would be interesting, too.
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »

No.  That might work for an FPS or Worms-type game, but that kind of accuracy just isn't possible in a beat-em-up.  It would lead to a lot of random and annoying deaths.
Plus, it seems kind of realistic for an otherwise cartoony game. Having Quote punch out Gomez's liver just seems kind of out of place...

Good idea though.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »

Active (i.e. non-passive) scenery would be great. (Breakable floors, walls, etc.)

Possibly some simple physics-y type stuff, like a platform with one central support, so it tips if the weight on it is not even. Or am I getting too silly?

olücæbelel
cag
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 08:40:29 PM »

What about, say, an entire physics engine. Tongue
Plop Box2D in there and go crazy with restraints, torque, rotational inertia, density, etc. Have damage reduce density and go SSB with torque, restraint breaking (arms fly off? walls fall down?),  things flying everywhere, projectiles actually sending energy towards another foe, blablabla. :D
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 01:28:45 AM »

I'm definitely for the active scenery. It's a great way to take out a whole bunch of stuff from the games, depending on what levels we choose.

As for controls. Non-traditional, platformer-esque is probably the best way. I'd like as few buttons as possible, but at the moment I'm for 3 buttons:
1 button for attacting (combine with directional buttons for alternate attacks)
1 button for defending (which could be combined with timed directional buttons for counters/push-backs/all that sort of stuff)
1 button for jumping (to allow the directional imput with out jumping automatically)

Regarding button-mashing/timed attacks, I also don't really get this. I don't want rhythm based combos, I don't find those very intuitive, if that's what you mean by timed. But I do want careful timing of your attacks to give you an advantage.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »

Just a reminder, voting ends tomorrow at midnight (so Monday morning-ish.)

My votes go towards SSB style combat, 3-button control (attack, guard and special) with N=jump, and simple combos (SSB style.) If this becomes a multiplayer brawl with moving stages, items, special modes and 4-player online combat (which seems to be the case) I think combos wouldn't work well, if at all.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »

button 1 = attack
button 2 = jump
button 3 = block

block + attack = grab
block + jump   = evade
attack + jump  = powerful/special/ranged attack

attack = weak hit (3 types; crouched, standing, midair)
direction + attack (simultaneously) = strong hit (3 types: up, fwd, down)
direction + attack (while moving)   = dashing hit (3 types: up, fwd, down)

then there could also be character-specific fighter-type combos, such as
dwn->dwn+fwd->fwd + attack = missile
or
dwn->up + jump = high jump

? ? ?

Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 12:38:09 AM »

I have an original idea of my own.  Platforms could have health meters, and after enough attacks, would disappear.  They'd regenerate quickly, of course - the point would be to keep players on their toes.  Having walls in addition to platforms would be interesting, too.

It is possible to do it in a beatemup actually, I was thinking the attacks would be scripted to target certain areas, basically tracking. So the there would be a punch that targets the jaw, another punch that targets the liver, a kick that targets the knee, etc. etc. and it would always seek that target when you issue the command. Maybe. I dunno i'm not a coder or anything, I just do animation but I think it would be really cool to sneak in a low blow or an eye gouge and take out your opponent instantly.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 07:30:13 AM »

As far as realistic damage, etc, is concerned... Sure, it is feasible in a fighter, Bushido Blade has a lot of the elements you mention (though, crippling or fatal, critical hits are much more simple when you're using swords...)

But it isn't really feasible for this game, even if it was it wouldn't be the way to go. As this is a completely unrealistic cross-over of entirely different games, the theme/feel of the game will likely be rather light-hearted. With the bizarre range of likely cast, it isn't even really possible. (Gomez attacks Gish in the eye with chainsaw!)

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic