Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:41:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Combining Flixel with Box2D?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Combining Flixel with Box2D?  (Read 8054 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »

Has anyone achieved this?  Any tips for how to approach it?

Thanks!

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »

TBH if you're using Box2D you're very likely better off just using Flash directly than Flixel.

The reason is, Flixel's great strength is in manipulating fixed bitmap images efficiently. Start rotating things and it slows down a lot (the Flixel docs are very clear on this matter!).

Unless you're somehow planning to use physics but not rotate things?!

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:04:17 AM »

Check out In Another Château, Miroslav did this nicely.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 12:39:23 PM »

You can still get a lot of physics done without rotataions. Stacking boxes, that sort of thing. Box2D supports this, with the fixedRotation flag.
akuryo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »

THB if you want physic, speed and pixel art, you just better GTFO of flash...

Seriously, flixel is the gayest shit ever! vector pixels... Just use C++...
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »

"Just" use C++?  What if he wants a browser-based cross-platform game?

Sorry, but I think you're mistaken.  The gayest shit ever is your attitude, not Flixel.  Also Flixel does not use the vector renderer at all, so "vector pixels" isn't an accurate judgement of it at all.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »

Yeah fuck that gay shit c++ just type out 0's and 1's you idiots.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:28:56 AM »

Yeah fuck that gay shit c++ just type out 0's and 1's you idiots.

<insert joke about writing in CPU microcode here>

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »

I've decided that building my physics API out of valves is the way to go.  Will sure keep my house warm through the winter!

Actually, thanks for the replies, but I've decided that I can live without physics for this iteration.  That said, it would be nice to make a 'Boxel' or whatever, that automatically generated edges for sprites.  Would be great if you could specify tile types for maps too - such as '3x1 first piece' -> '3x1 third piece' for a three tile wide, one tile high slope... and then the engine could assemble a nice piece of geometry to collide against, making optimisations where possible (eg tile is surrounded by other tiles, therefore no edges needed... etc...)

Something to consider if I decide to do a sequel!

akuryo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 09:28:59 AM »

Are you serious?

Omg... Ok, flash game creator(if we can call them this way...) are VERY lazy(because they use flash). Now you can't even seem to be able to do that?

Also, thank you for the constructive comment, but flixel DOES use the vector rendering Mr. useless. It just tile it to pixels. Try to learn more about it next time, flash IS vector graphics, and it's only purpose is to make some vague dynamism to webpages, it's not meant for games.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 09:40:34 AM »

Are you serious?

Omg... Ok, flash game creator(if we can call them this way...) are VERY lazy(because they use flash). Now you can't even seem to be able to do that?

Also, thank you for the constructive comment, but flixel DOES use the vector rendering Mr. useless. It just tile it to pixels. Try to learn more about it next time, flash IS vector graphics, and it's only purpose is to make some vague dynamism to webpages, it's not meant for games.

interesting. can you tell me more about how to do stuff? while you explain all the answers to everything about the vidya gams, i'll finish this one i'm making now. see you soon!

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:51:24 AM »

Are you serious?

Lazy? Mr. useless? My Word! Well, I never!

(have you actually looked at the Flixel implementation? It blits to a buffer which is then drawn to the screen.  It renders much faster than normal Flash stuff because it assumes you generally don't want to use vectors)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:00:03 AM by Matt Thorson » Logged

hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »

akuryo you are an idiot and don't know what you're talking about.

There's no reason you couldn't do rotation with bitmaps. Just draw or generate the spritesheet for rotation with how ever many angles you need, 8 or 360. Of course that's probably not viable for everything but still.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 01:21:02 AM »

Are you serious?

Hehehe, you're really weird, and it doesn't surprise me you've been banned tbh...

BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 03:58:29 AM »

Mirosurabu has achieved this with In Another Chateau:

http://armorgames.com/play/4640/in-another-chateau

The thread over at the Flixel forums is here:

http://flixel.org/forums/index.php?topic=389.msg2646#msg2646

Hope this helps!!  What it shows me is that unless somebody has found a way to further optimise, there is an apparent slowness to the game.  However, it is fun.
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »

Even more recent by PaulGene:

http://www.peslauncher.com/test2/
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 03:13:07 AM »

Yeah Adam also mentioned he wants to integrate it into Flixel 2.0.  Thing is I've already altered the Flixel source a lot, so it would be tricky to move to a new version now.  Maybe for the sequel!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic