Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:34:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnd Also With You
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: And Also With You  (Read 4967 times)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »

Cleaning up this post a bit.

AND ALSO WITH YOU will be a, you guessed it, a Rogue-like!
It's based loosely on, but (thanks to the council of you fine people) not really at all connected to 'The World Ends With You' for the DS, because the setting is the perfect environment for a modern roguelike, but I feel very unlike being sued. None of the series characters, none of the brand names, nothing but the base concepts and general idea. Anyone not familiar with the game - battling monsters, running around cities finding items, dying and being erased from existence. I.e., prime rogue material.

Features:
  • A coffee break roguelike that is a bit more forgiving
  • 2D simplified battle system with 2 characters Hand Any KeyHuh?Hand Any Key
  • Brands, pins and attacks based on mythologies and the Western Zodiac
  • Level editor to make any city (real or not) a playable game world
  • Randomly generated paths through the city, monsters, allies, clothes and etc
  • Frustratingly customizable
  • Featuring artwork by local designers and graf artists

Currently:
Logo design, photo taking and digitization, level generation algorithms.
I'm looking for advice: which engine/game designy tool should I be using for this?
2d, likely top-down or oblique angular view. Game Maker 7 looks like a good choice, but I'm not sure if this would prove too taxing for the engine itself. There may be a lot of onscreen jangles and tons of random generation.

I will be posting a lot of concept art until I manage to gain steam on coding/developing the engine.

Since there are 13 brands to create... brand logo concepts!  Blink

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:15:59 AM by GoldMatenes » Logged

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 02:55:32 PM »

Those brands are awesome, TWEWY is awesome, this is awesome.

I hated the battle system's unforgiving difficulty though (was always on AUTO on top, since bottom was the only fun one), any way you're changing that?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »

Those brands are awesome, TWEWY is awesome, this is awesome.

I hated the battle system's unforgiving difficulty though (was always on AUTO on top, since bottom was the only fun one), any way you're changing that?

Yes. Gonna be a turn-based battle system, still two characters but far more simple... just choose who attacks on each turn, based on their current equipment/stats/threads/etc.

Full disclosure, I was one of those wunderkind who could somehow play both at once, but could never really figure out how.

AUST
Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »

I don't know much about TWEWY, but those logos are really great. They look like actual logos, as opposed to logos invented for a video game. Smiley
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »

Thanks for the support Smiley I love logo design.

Creative process go!

Today I'm talking about my latest work, pins.
Pins in TWEWY are your attacks, items, spells, and other assorted fantasy actions rolled into tiny packages.
In the original game, the pins were designed to fit the individual brands, with logos, abilities and attacks reminiscent of the brand style.

PIN NAMING
  • Every pin will have two-word names.
  • Every pin ability (eg. +1 Attack) has at least 1 Primary Name and at least 1 Secondary Name.
  • Every brand has 5 Primary Names and 5 Secondary Names, all inspired by the style of clothing/music/animal/mythology/zodiac/etc that the brand suits most.
  • The system will randomly select a name from those available for the brand (Primary or Secondary) and select the opposite for the ability.

So a 'Get Cake' ability pin could have (Tasty/Delight) as names. A 'Tigsource' brand could have (Indie/EDGE or Classy/Artgame) as names.
So a Tigsource pin that gets cake could be called 'Tasty EDGE' or 'Classy Delight' or 'Tasty Artgame' or 'Indie Delight' or many, many more (as both sides will have more than one option).

Make sense?  Crazy
If not, don't worry. I'll try to make a mockup pin gen at some point.

Designing a randomly generated pin system is just fine.
Drawing all of them would make me go insane.
So I'm trying a different tack.

PIN IMAGES
  • Every pin ability has an emblem (eg. +1 Attack could be a sword.)
  • There is a grayscale version of each emblem on a pin.
  • Every brand has two colours. (Tigsource brand would be light blue and white.)
  • So a Tigsource Atk+1 pin would be the same sword pin, but in a unique colouration of blue and white.

This is to prevent me from having to draw every randomized individual possible pin.
Of course, there may be some special Unbranded pins that have unique colours, and some others featuring logos made by friends and other cool people... but those are to come.

Still needing advice on a good engine for a graphical roguelike.

SAMPLE PIN CONCEPTS!  Blink

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:00:41 PM by GoldMatenes » Logged

AUST
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:28:56 PM »

Perhaps a custom pin maker as well? You could select an image, then create a brand, then create two abilities, just for fun?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 03:07:44 PM »

Perhaps a custom pin maker as well? You could select an image, then create a brand, then create two abilities, just for fun?

Sounds like a good idea, definitely! If this really gathers steam and I get a playable alpha soon I may get community ideas for even more pin abilities if possible.

The various customization tools will not come until I get a stable build, but I'll be building from the ground up to support them.

AUST
TheDustin
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »

A coffeebreak roguelike that let's you control two characters? I'm in! When the alpha comes up I'll see what feedback I can throw your way.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »

On the topic of two characters.
Would you guys be more interested in having a turn-based or active battle system?
With two characters, active is going to be more clumsy to control (as people found with the original TWEWY).
I've also thought about the possibility of actually making the option of two-player, but it would be rudimentary and likely only for battling.

In any case, the last of the brands!

AUST
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »

Turn based is kinda breaking the point... but I have an idea for this! You have to remember, in the original TWEWY, they were both in separate areas, unable to see each other or interact with each other, purely based on instinct... so perhaps have two separate 'planes', one for each character, when they enter combat, each subtly different with different placing of enemies and such, to be more like the original?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »

They will be separated as in the original, tuned into different frequencies.
I'm just not sure whether to have it turn-based as in both of your chars move, then the enemies attack on both sides... active will likely be a lot harder to make.

AUST
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »

Ah, dealio! Great minds think alike; but greater minds think farther ahead than others!  Wink
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »

I have no knowledge of TWEWY, but this name caught my eye.  Is there any motivation for naming the game this besides "make it similar to TWEWY, but different enough"?  I ask because the phrase is used in Lutheran liturgy, as in:  "Peace be with you." "And also with you."

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
alspal
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »

I don't understand this, but seeing Virgin Black makes me excited.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »

Well, the name has several connotations.

The original game is named after a character's words in-game.
'The world ends with you' is what he says, and one could continue the phrase with 'And Also With You.' (as a direct expansion of the universe. it also makes sense in context, but the reason why...no spoilers.)
Also, the game is about fighting for your life, being and nothingness, and existential desperation. So the 'Peace be with you' connotation works well too.

It's also something Homsar said at some point.

I'm glad you like the logo, alastair!
Virgin Black is the goth label. I thought of making something flowery, but I like the blunt gravestone style more  Smiley

PS. If anyone can name all the logos and their corresponding positions in the Western Zodiac, I will stick a callout to you in the game somewhere. Here's a hint: Rome.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:43:55 PM by GoldMatenes » Logged

AUST
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »

Aria Blanca - Aries
Diamond Twin - Gemini
Flow - Aquarius
Piscina - Pisces
Taurian - Taurus
Virgin Black - ...Virgo.
Centurion - Capricorn (Huh?)
Kancerous - Cancer
Southern Tropic - Capricorn
Leon - Leo
XIII - Saggitarius (Clever!)
AMTSMA - Scorpio
Libretto - Libra

Also, I would totally love to see SPOILERS [HOVER OVER] I hope you also keep in mind that every round and city was implied to have its own rules, like every single city was its own round of a certain game; so making it exactly the same as Shibuya wouldn't make sense.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:13:14 PM by Inanimate » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »

Almost! But not quite. Think more about 'SouthernTropic'.

Each city will have its own flavour on the basic rules. The Game is standard fare for the purpose it serves... but the individual style and rules will vary (and I may, if I get super ambitious, attempt to fit in a general ruleset editor that will allow you to alter quest probability and such... but I'm way ahead of myself here)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:47:59 AM by GoldMatenes » Logged

AUST
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 06:56:37 AM »

This looks pretty awesome. Never actually got around to player TWEWY, but I probably should. Also, I really like where you're going with the customization/generation.

~Random trivia~
In Japan, the game was called 'subarashiki kono sekai,' or, 'This wonderful world'.

Keep up the good work! I'll be in line to play whenever you get a demo out!
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »

Is it Centurion = Saggitarius
and XIII is unused 'cause there're only 12 zodiac signs?

If so, might I draw your attention to Ophiuchus / Serpentarius?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05:52 PM »

Is it Centurion = Saggitarius
and XIII is unused 'cause there're only 12 zodiac signs?

If so, might I draw your attention to Ophiuchus / Serpentarius?

XIII looked like a bunch of arrows, and Saggitarius was a man/horse.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic