Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:26:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Kazerad's characters, blood splatter, and sound effects. [FINAL]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Kazerad's characters, blood splatter, and sound effects. [FINAL]  (Read 38914 times)
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 09:49:42 AM »

A pose of her with her arm raised as if summoning would be really sweet if you had time, but this is incredibly usable as is.  Also, I think a pose of her with her wings extended in a little glide as she falls down would be a really sweet thing to put in a game.

I think the flame breath pose is fantastic -- will need to dig up some good flame particles from the rest of Assemblee for that one (unless you happened to have anything for it).
Thanks, and I'd be happy to add those Smiley. I've already made a crouching and dead sprite and have been working on a clothed version too, but will wait until the final sprite sheet to upload them.

And I'm hoping someone else has made a decent fire sprite; my own attempts at it were pretty abysmal. If I couldn't find another fire sprite I was planning to just vertically flip one of the blood sprites and make it orange.

Hopefully before the deadline I'll also have time to add a little bit to the robot dragon thing on page 1, too. Maybe record a second sound pack, possibly one of me hitting various objects together.

Kazerad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »

First post updated, with everything I am going to submit. Sadly, did not get time to make everything I wanted, or even complete the robotic dragon. For the two characters I did finish, I've provided complete sprite sheets with various alternate versions as well as face graphics and large character artwork.

Hopefully someone can find useful things in my last minute compilation of characters and sounds! Also, the new additions to the dragoness's animation set were the summoning (bottom row, three frame cycle), gliding (new last frame of pole vault animation), crouching/landing/pickup (top row, right after idle), and riding (here is an example of its usage, on Joaquim's obese unicorn). Hopefully any missing animations can be filled in creatively with the existing ones (e.g. using the last two frames of the spin attack backwards as a quick jab).

I now plan to spend a very long time not doing spritework and not thinking at all about cowboys or dragons. Ugh.

So how many pixely lizard tits did I draw total this weekend? 102.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:04:59 PM by Kazerad » Logged

HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 10:08:07 PM »

Looks _extremely_ cool, Kazerad!

I could hardly wait to play with it, so I whipped up a does-not-do-it-justice platformer test.

Anyone interested can play with it here.  Arrow keys to move, space jumps.  Press and hold against a wall to wall-slide, and jumping while sliding will give a wall jump.  Everything is EXTREMELY ROUGH, and I know the jumping sounds don't fit it at all.  Please bear with.

I intend to get more of those beautiful animation frames in there, but wanted to throw a quick test up there.

These are extremely easy sprites to work with, and I love how you kept the same grid size for the entire sheet, even the parts that didn't have animation frames.  That made everything SO much easier to import.  The only modification I had to make was to make a version with a transparent PNG background (super easy), and I bumped up the contrast a bit to match my tile set more.

All in all, these are great, and I can't wait to do more with them!  Thanks so much!

--clint
Kazerad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 06:09:37 PM »

Okay, I know the deadline has passed but since people are still doing a bit of reformatting and uploading I added a couple simple permutations of the Dragon Princess sheets. (I'd feel unfair adding anything new though).

First, after seeing Han Clinto's contrast modification and thinking "hey that looks cool", I wanted to make alternate versions with sharper shading (since not everyone's game engine is capable of modifying image contrast on the fly). Second, I added a red eyes/gold staff overlay so the sprite or its white version can be recolored without affecting them, if the programmer so wishes.

Hope there's no problem with me adding these so late (since they are just palette swaps and a bit of erasing). If this unjustifiably too late, just let me know and I'll pull them from the first post.

MaloEspada
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 06:21:52 PM »

Top-quality sprites. Amazing work.  Wizard Hand Metal Right
Andrius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »

Great technique! Top quality pixelart and animations!  Kiss Hand Thumbs Up Right

HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »

Second, I added a red eyes/gold staff overlay so the sprite or its white version can be recolored without affecting them, if the programmer so wishes.
Very cool idea!  Looks great, thanks!

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of creating a version of this overlay for the clothed version (and including the anklets as well).

Eyes/Mouth/Staff/Clothes/Anklets overlay (for exempting them from color modification)

And here's an example of it in action.

Totally pumped about this sprite, and I look forward to doing more with it, and seeing how people will utilize it in part 2!

--clint
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:16:39 AM by HanClinto » Logged
Kazerad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »

Thanks, added it to the first post to make sure it isn't missed. Hopefully not too late to slip that in there, since it's just a modification. (Again, if anyone thinks it's unjustifiably too late for me to be adding this, just let me know)

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic