Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:07:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingImmortal Kingdoms
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Immortal Kingdoms  (Read 6197 times)
Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:16:55 AM »

My journal where I discuss the development of my turn based card/tactics game hybrid Immortal Kingdoms. About 2/3's complete with many new concepts.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/journal/journal.asp?jn=476062

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 05:18:31 AM by Pluvious » Logged
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:26:28 AM »

The graphics look sweet.

Tell us a little more about yerself here, though:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »

I am also impressed by the polish of your graphics. Do you have a professional artist working for you? Or are you a professional artist working for you? What I like most is the back ground battle mural and how the cards are played on top of it.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »

The graphics look sweet.

Tell us a little more about yerself here, though:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Okay.  Lurked here a long time just never bothered registering.   Embarrassed
Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:27:18 PM »

I am also impressed by the polish of your graphics. Do you have a professional artist working for you? Or are you a professional artist working for you? What I like most is the back ground battle mural and how the cards are played on top of it.

I have two professional artists working for me.  The guy who does the interface stuff like the battlefield just won 1st prize at a GenCom artist thing I believe for a battlefield image he did.  But he's been working with me for a few years since before he became more well known.  Of course he's a lot busier now...but he still does my stuff and hasn't increased his rates.

Here's another one. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:29:27 PM by Pluvious » Logged
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:33:58 PM »

Looks awesome, is there a public release?

Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »

Looks awesome, is there a public release?

My realistic plan is January of 2009 to have a beta release.  Still got a lot of online stuff to do, a website, and just general fixes. 
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:14:32 PM »

Wow. There are some awesome looking pieces in that first screenshot. I'm not sure that they're working together very well though... I'm finding it a bit difficult to read. It's very noisy. Perhaps if you put a blue wash over the background it'd pop everything else to the front.
Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 05:21:14 AM »

Wow. There are some awesome looking pieces in that first screenshot. I'm not sure that they're working together very well though... I'm finding it a bit difficult to read. It's very noisy. Perhaps if you put a blue wash over the background it'd pop everything else to the front.

Yeah, I may look into trying to get things to stand out a bit more from the background in the future.  Probably could be a bit better.  Blue won't quite work as one side is red and the other blue but maybe a combo blue/red.  Any other ideas/suggestions/opinions welcome.
Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »

GREAT screenshots! But I was wondering why does the game needs so many attributes for a character. Won't that be too much of a complexity? I don't know the game, sure, but I believe an RPG don't need soo many to be fun (it might even confuse players quite a bit).
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 06:49:24 AM »

Hey there!

What are the new concepts that the game brings? How does it play? Do you have a dmeo or a rough tech prototype so we can play what you mean? What differs this card game from the others?

The artwork looks very nice but as mentionned earlier, it feels a bit too crowded. It would be a good thing to have more contrast between the play area and the background.

Later! 

Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »

GREAT screenshots! But I was wondering why does the game needs so many attributes for a character. Won't that be too much of a complexity? I don't know the game, sure, but I believe an RPG don't need soo many to be fun (it might even confuse players quite a bit).

Yes, there are a lot of attributes.  It will certainly be confusing at first knowing what everything does.  But it is designed for players who like strategy and building characters/armies.  Its about depth of stuff basically. 

However, I'm trying hard to make things easy to step in and just play.  Hopefully you don't need to know very much to get started.  But I'll test more on that later with players.
Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »

Hey there!

What are the new concepts that the game brings? How does it play? Do you have a dmeo or a rough tech prototype so we can play what you mean? What differs this card game from the others?

The artwork looks very nice but as mentionned earlier, it feels a bit too crowded. It would be a good thing to have more contrast between the play area and the background.

I had a demo many months ago that was extremely buggy and lacked many play elements.  Then I changed a whole bunch of stuff.  So, I plan on having another demo in a few months.

As far as what makes it different?  Well, building rpg-like characters as your runes/cards is where it starts.  They level up and have all kinds of classes and abilities and this increases the mana cost of your characters.  These characters (the cards) can then cast spells and all that.

Beyond that it plays out more like an army battling then a card game.  You have ranged troops, spellcasters, and front line troops, etc.  And then there are smaller strategy concepts like sphere affinity as a rune deck "Theme Substitute", fountain capturing, your deity as a player on the field, round "phases", and a bunch of other stuff.

And its an online game.  You gain fame, faith, and community rankings.  You get rewards in gold & treasure after a battle is over. 

Battles are fought by clicking directly on another unit for melee/ranged attacks and then a small animation effect will show just over the attacker and those attacked.  Spells, disciplines, potions, creature abilities, and magic items are used by clicking on an ability in the spellbook to activate it and then by clicking on targets...also then bringing about a small animation over the caster and then the spell affect over the character pictures hit by the spell. 

Here is the spellbook.  Animations are not ready...will show when I get them. 

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »

This seems incredibly complex.

Looks cool though.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 10:08:30 AM »

I really Enjoy the look, it seems like you've thrown Heroes of might and magic in a bag with Magic cards, distilled it to base elements then increased those by an order of magnitude, I hope with such complexity that the game play is still relatively simple or else you might turn away some users.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »

Overall, this game sounds good so far, but it seems like there's a lot of redundancy in statistics and spells, which could be confusing to new players. For example, Spell Resist, Resist Magic, Magic Defense, Magical Defense, Anti Magic, and Spell Immunity will all seem basically the same to new players. Is it really necessary to have 6 separate spells that all have similar functions? And if it is, is there any way you could emphasize the differences between them?

Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 02:40:39 PM »

Overall, this game sounds good so far, but it seems like there's a lot of redundancy in statistics and spells, which could be confusing to new players. For example, Spell Resist, Resist Magic, Magic Defense, Magical Defense, Anti Magic, and Spell Immunity will all seem basically the same to new players. Is it really necessary to have 6 separate spells that all have similar functions? And if it is, is there any way you could emphasize the differences between them?

Sorry, that's an old spellbook.  I was just testing out how some of the spell resist spells, disciplines, and creature abilities look.  Only a couple are spells.  Most are creature abilities for the dwarf, golem, etc.  So you would only see those abilities when using those creatures.

Also, when you mouseover you get the descriptions of the spell/ability pop up. 
Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »

I really Enjoy the look, it seems like you've thrown Heroes of might and magic in a bag with Magic cards, distilled it to base elements then increased those by an order of magnitude, I hope with such complexity that the game play is still relatively simple or else you might turn away some users.

Well, its not a casual game.  You're right about Heroes of Might and Magic, Magic the Gathering, etc.  Those are definitely two of the influences.  And I think those games aren't really "simple" to play either unless you have some experience with them.  The key I think is making it worth "getting into" and making the game play simple where it can be made simple. 

I'm sure people will be put off by all the skills, ability scores, etc but I can only hope the game is interesting enough to test out.  Most of the game play I think is pretty familiar to turn based game players. 

There will be an extensive beta test time period and I'm willing to adjust the game as necessary...with quality being a more important factor than time.
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »

It's definitely shaping up nicely. I'm currently playing the free version of Legends of Norrath, a game pretty much similar to yours (at least as far as genre). The thing especially good about that game actually ís the complexity. As a direct consequence though, it's by no means an easy game and fortunately there's "huge" tutorial, so there's not much wrong in the sense of learning people the basics, but I had to go over the tutorials twice. That may scare people off, but I'm sure that during your beta and so on such potential problems will surface.

I do hope that you're able to maintain a somewhat speedy gameplay. Looking forward to this game already though.  Smiley

"Fun is rule."
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 06:41:35 PM »

This isn't to say that I wouldn't love to beta test it though, hahaha.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic