Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:10:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Coding tutorials for GM6
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Coding tutorials for GM6  (Read 3261 times)
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:02:23 PM »

A while ago, a friend of mine bought Gamemaker, and registered it on my computer too. (this was when it was still GM6 and YoYoGames *vomit* didn't own it) I never really touched it, until recently, when I decided I actually wanted to make some of my ideas.  :D Since almost everyone is using GM7 now, I wanted to upgrade, but unfortunately my friend lost his registration key and so I'm stuck with 6 for the time being.

Which brings me to my question: Do you guys know of any good tutorials on coding/scripts for GM6? I'm a complete coding noob, so just something explaing the basics would be fine. All of the tutorials I've found so far are for GM7 only...
cag
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:42:37 PM »

It looks as if there aren't many major changes between 6 and 7, from snooping around the interwebs. Try the tutorials on 7. If there are any compatibility problems, I can't help you though.
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »

Oh really? Hmm, okay.

The problem is, most example games don't seem to work, because they're GM7 files. I guess a text tutorial could work too, though.
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 03:29:45 AM »

GM7 is only $20 Wink

Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »

I'm incredibly stingy and I'd rather not pay for something I already have an older version of. Tongue
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 09:59:49 PM »

I found the help file to be most helpful.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 01:42:03 PM »

Most of what you need to know is in the help file, really. If you're patient enough you should be able to figure out how to make almost anything that GM can do in there. Just make sure you start very simple.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 03:25:47 PM »

The help file in GM6 is all you need to learn it, provided you have experience in programming. If you don't, I suggest just the GMC forums when there's something you don't understand, they're incredibly populous and any question you ask about it will be answered in minutes usually. Or you could PM me, I use Game Maker exclusively and could probably answer most questions you asked (or at least point you in the right direction).

The improvements from GM7 to GM6 are negligible; the biggest one is that GM6 games will not work on Vista. Besides that, only the most hardcore GM user will even notice the difference between the two. However there's a converter program you can use to make GM6 games work on Vista. So I recommend sticking with GM6 and using that program to make sure your games are playable on Vista.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »

Another thing that's helpful is to go to the GMC forums and take a look at the 'open source' section -- there you can find editables of GMC games for you to look at and experiment with. A great way to learn how to use the Game Maker is to just look at the code and edit it in a functioning Game Maker game that someone else made.

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »

The tutorials and examples section can also sometimes be useful, and browsing through the novice Q&A can also give you quite a few useful tips  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic