Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:33:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[ANTI-ASSEMBLEE] 10.5 [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [ANTI-ASSEMBLEE] 10.5 [FINISHED]  (Read 4035 times)
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »

Ok, I managed to put together a game for this compo and it seems that dustin's and mine's are the only entries.

Anyways, I thought about what to make, and came to colclusion that I should include all the things that are not part of the art part of Assemblee. So I made this, behold

Includes:

• Procedurally generated levels
  • Twisted plot
  • Upgrades
  • Intro
  • Outro
  • Cutscenes
  • and one cheat code

I put inside some dummy text tiles / sprites, and some voice recording, to demonstrate how it works, and to enable the artist to create art for this without reading tons of documentation. It is playable right now, as long as you can stand my "dummy voice recorded samples" for long enough.

Tiles, sprites, sounds and music names are pretty self-explanatory, so I will not babble about that. If you want to change the icon, just use your favourite resource editor, or drop me the icon so I can rebuild. If you don't quite get something, just play it and it will become clearer, yet feel free to just ask.

EDIT:
Since this is unofficial, I allowed myself to add the finishing touches today. (actually, I just had a hunch why the custom size tiles and custom fonts didn't work, and worked this bug out)

Now you can use n x n size tiles, as long as there are 4x4 tiles in tiles.bmp and 3x3 in icons.bmp (they'll get resized to 40x40). Other bitmaps can be whatever you want.

Last tile in icons.bmp is the font colour (solid) but if you want, you can add custom fonts now (font.bmp is a dump of VGA BIOS font) but they have to be 8x8. If you want a multi-colour font, you should set the fontcolour tile to white. If you're OK with VGA font, you can delete font.bmp at all.

Screenshot:

Do enjoy it Smiley
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:32:35 AM by Sos » Logged

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »

This sounds pretty good but it crashes with an 'unhandled win32 exception' for me, just after the intro screen. It starts to play the next music file, 'this is background music' (bgm.mp3, I think) but that's it. It does this regardless of whether I press space or just wait for the introduction to finish. Also I'm on Windows XP if that's of any help.

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »

works fine for me.

I must say it's rather hilarious as is. Plugging in a tile set would probably just make it more generic.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »

This sounds pretty good but it crashes with an 'unhandled win32 exception' for me, just after the intro screen. It starts to play the next music file, 'this is background music' (bgm.mp3, I think) but that's it. It does this regardless of whether I press space or just wait for the introduction to finish. Also I'm on Windows XP if that's of any help.

Now I remember that I compiled it optimised for P4, which means that it will crash on anything lower then that. I'll update tommorow, since today I left my lappy home and went away. My bad.

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »

Now I remember that I compiled it optimised for P4, which means that it will crash on anything lower then that. I'll update tommorow, since today I left my lappy home and went away. My bad.

Well, I can at least confirm it runs fine on my laptop (which is odd as it has a VIA C7-M and my desktop has an Intel E5200 which supports the P4 instruction set and then some). I should've checked on another system before saying anything, sorry about that!

Still in terms of the game itself, it was indeed hilarious and quite fun to play.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:51:24 PM »

I should've checked on another system before saying anything, sorry about that!

Still in terms of the game itself, it was indeed hilarious and quite fun to play.

No need to be sorry, as i said, my bad, should've checked that.

Anyways, I got rid of some inhuman optimisation techniques and updated, should work fine now on anyting. Bit after deadline, hope no-one minds.

And glad you liked it Smiley It was fun coding that too (took 4 days btw.)

EDIT: got rid of some nasty bugs today too, (i just couldn't sand and watch them eat my entry).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:33:44 AM by Sos » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »

Seems like the character moves slightly less than its width (assuming it's supposed to move one space per keystroke), and also if I jump up a screen and there's ground there it just sticks me in the ground.  You can jump to get up through it too.

hi
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:02:23 AM »

It s
Seems like the character moves slightly less than its width (assuming it's supposed to move one space per keystroke), and also if I jump up a screen and there's ground there it just sticks me in the ground.  You can jump to get up through it too.

It seems to go choppy on you. The character should move smoothly. I think I need to optimize it a bit more too. And jumping physics are crappy, that's true.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »

I present you: The Quest for Ahalf!!

Download: here

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic