Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:36:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCalgary Global Game Jam
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Calgary Global Game Jam  (Read 10744 times)
ChevyRay
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »

Creative Calgary

...is hosting a Global Game Jam this year, which takes place on the weekend of January 29 - 31. Be there or be square.

Administrator Contact:

Laurie Golge
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 403 710 8679

How to Sign Up

1) To sign up for the event, you have to register an account on the Global Game Jam website. When you do so, in your account settings, make sure to specify your Jam location! Also, write a bit about yourself and tell us what your skills are.

2) You must also fill out the sign-up form on the Creative Calgary website. Scroll down a bit and there will be a Global Game Jam event listing (next to a World of Goo pic) and fill out the online form to sign up.

I have already talked with Laurie over email, and she doesn't bite, so feel free to send her with any questions you have about the event. She said she wants to outdo Vancouver this year, so let's get as many talented folks signed up as we can!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:36:29 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:38:08 PM »

Wait does this happen everywhere all at the same time?  If so, I'm going to UBC.  I haven't been in the CISR building in years.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »

HEY, did I say this was the topic for the UBC jam? Cool

JK <3 But yeah, January 29-31 everywhere! It'll be awesome. You should come to Calgary instead Well, hello there!
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:04:22 AM »

Yes, all the BC Tigers should make the arduous trek across the Rockies and come out to Calgary!  Beer!

no, that smiley does not imply that i would be buying any of you beers
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »

Count me in.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:33:07 AM »

Woot! I'm all signed up on the GGJ website and on Creative Calgary. I got a nice phone message from Laurie and email reminding me to sign up on GGJ. This will be great!
ChevyRay
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »

Did you specify your Jam location on your Account Settings on the GGJ site, Psysal? Bones is still showing up as the latest name on the list, and you're not on there at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind, you're showing up now. Greg and Matt still have to sign up. I wonder if Alec's going to come?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:26:28 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »

Yeah I got an email from Laurie that I had to set that on my profile. This is going to be so much fun!
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 09:51:16 AM »

I tried signing up but failed, even after setting jam location in profile. :/ just getting an Access Denied link. Emailed the doesn't-bite-lady, and I will likely be attending once all the paperwork is sorted out Smiley

Edit: Lol,

Flight from Victoria, BC: $280
Bus from Victoria, BC: $350
Train from Vancouver, BC: $370, to Edmonton, then probably have to bus it anyway, nevermind costs to get to vancouver in the first place

Anyone have any deets on nearby hotels or such?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:28:37 AM by weasello » Logged

IndieElite4Eva
CreativeCalgary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 04:40:50 PM »

Hi, this is laurie.. from the Calgary GGJ venue.
I put a link to hotels in the ggj venue page on http://www.globalgamejam.org/sites/sait-polytechnic-school-information-and-communications-technologies

There is a "hotel village" with lots of hotels, ranging from motel (cheap) holiday inn (has weddings/grads) to Riverside Inn (artsy/trendy)

Also, if you have trouble signing in, let me know. Setting up your profile on the www.globalgamejam.org can be a bit confusing. If you get signed in (meaning it takes your user name and password and gives you a profile) then you can access your profile under the list of jammers for our venue.

Talk to you guys soon.

ChevyRay
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 02:31:34 AM »

Holy SMOKES. The registration numbers doubled since I last checked only a few days ago Shocked This is going to be so fantastic!
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »

Yeah I know, hey?  I was quite surprised last time that I checked; very good to see that though!  Smiley

Hey, does anyone know about times yet btw?  I don't think I'll be able to get there until around 8 on Friday, but I don't even know what (if anything?) is going on on Friday.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »

4:00PM on Friday?  Well shit; I guess I'll be late then.  I'm coming down from Edmonton, and my dad's coming too to hang out with a friend of his; although I could get off work early he definitely can't.

Fuck, high speed rail would be so convenient in this situation! (note: 100% Alberta inside joke).
ChevyRay
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:33 PM »

So I'm probably gonna show up as early as possible. I might even show up a day earlier just so I can hang out and get real psyched. Is anybody else gonna be there early and wants to hang out, or wants to stay for a day later for an after-party or something? Be pretty sweet to hit up a pub or something afterwards; I have to get my bus tickets ahead of time, so just wanna know if it's gonna be worth it to get my return ticket for a day later, if anybody's gonna be hanging around.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 07:10:01 PM »

Well I'm trying to change it so that I'll be able to get there by 4; I'm pretty sure I should be able to now.  I'm really praying that the highway is good though.  Beg

EDIT: OK, I've gotten some confirmed times from Laurie: setup begins at 4 with keynotes at 5, and game-making beginning around 7.  And it'll all wrap up around 6:30 on Sunday (definitely won't be able to stay until the end, regrettably, what with having work at 8am the next morning and a 3.5hr drive home from whatever time it is that I do leave).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:32:03 PM by GregWS » Logged
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 12:15:13 AM »

Woo should be able to be there around 4 on Friday.  It's just a 2.5-hour drive for me.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 01:07:50 AM »

Woo should be able to be there around 4 on Friday.  It's just a 2.5-hour drive for me.
You're coming from Edmonton too, right?  Because I had this argument with my mom earlier tonight that you could drive to Calgary in 2.5 hours, but she was very adamant that you couldn't (I haven't done it in ages, so I was basing that time off of hazy memories).
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure you can. I went to Banff for New Year's and went through Calgary, and I think I remember Calgary being about the halfway mark in a 4-hour drive.

Should I bring my PC to this?

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »

OK, well if you did it for New Years, which qualifies as winter driving too, then it must be more or less close to that 2.5hr mark.

I'm not too sure about the computer situation, but I'm planning on bringing my laptop unless I hear some compelling reason not to.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:56:50 PM by GregWS » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 05:57:06 PM »

Just got the email; guess we are supposed to bring computers.  And I've gotta say, this thing sounds a lot more formal than I'd expected, which (at least for me personally) is a pretty big turnoff.  I'll still be going of course, but yeah, I guess I'm quite a bit less excited now; it just feels less indie to me?  (TBH I guess I'm a bit worried that I could end up on a team that doesn't give a damn about innovation, or at least not innovation in the more extreme cactus/increpare/terry kind of way.)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic