Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:05:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDefend Against Zombies
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Defend Against Zombies  (Read 6995 times)
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »

Demo here!

http://www.onemoregogames.co.uk/defend-against-zombies---3d-tower-defence-game-windows-linux-osx-demo.html

Vid:

click me!:

original post:

Hi Chaps,
Here's a game i've been working on - a 3D tower defence game, still a work in progress (btw I need a 2D artist!) but I thought i'd share.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:16:08 AM by OneMoreGo » Logged
Lime
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:14:08 PM »

I'm new to 3d tower defense games,but I must say you caught my attention.
Are you sure you're going to use the zombie cliche, though?
I can immediately recall Plants vs. Zombies when it comes to zombie tower defenses...

That's how the game goes,
That's how the lime rolls.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:41:33 AM »

I'd thought of zombies as a decent (if not imaginative) enemy before i'd heard of zombies vs plants. I think the gameplay and style is sufficiently different to not look like i'm copying them. I already have the zombie models too :-)

I've been tidying up the level editor and will post a video of that soon.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »

A couple of people have mentioned that it would be more fun to be able to build towers anywhere on the map rather than just in certain spots.

I threw together a small level with a few of everything together to quickly make the video and the number of building pads is much less than it would normally be but now I am wondering if I should really make it totally open as to where players can place towers.

I like the game Defense Grid a lot and in that game you can only build on certain spots (though some levels have a lot!) which I think adds to the strategy element a bit, then again the amount of resources the player has already has a limiting effect on how much they can build.

Anyone got any thoughts on the subject?
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:22:47 AM »

Some professional interface graphics now, and the 3D looks much better too.

Here you can see a third of the level I am currently working on. Level design is fun but takes longer than you'd think to get right.

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »

I have been working on bloooooooood

I've been working on other things too, like a "how to play" slideshow but that's not as interesting.

Edited to add, just realised one change that you *can* see is the brown "walkable" procedural texture, still could do with work but it makes the play and walkable areas a bit clearer when you zoom out.  It was a headache to work out though  Facepalm
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:01:26 PM by OneMoreGo » Logged
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »

Sad Not posted or worked on this in 6 months. Sad 
There is a good reason, 6 months ago I started a new job that has an "exclusivity clause" and  a couple of mentions about intellectual property that made me think I needed to get  permission from a number of senior managers (seems difficult) to work on my own projects.  I have also been very busy working long hours at this same job (I do enjoy it though, mostly!).

I don't want the work I put into this to just fade away so I've double checked my contract and I can't provide my services for gain.  I can release a free demo of what I have so far though! As for the IP section I am pretty sure it means discoveries and work done as (and relating to) my job. Since, allthough I am a programmer by trade, my work has absolutely nothing to do with shooting zombies in 3D I think I am safe on that front!

Now to dig out and package this up...
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 11:34:37 PM »

It's amazing how long it takes to recognise your own code after you haven't worked on it for a while. It turns out the last time I worked with it I was in the middle of adding features so i've had to stub those out (no hulk like zombies in this release  Sad ).

Pleasantly surprised to see the build scripts were almost complete, I just need to tidy up and pull out resources to match the current features. Oh and figure out launching it easily, being written in Java I need to add a simple launcher for each OS.

For a bit of graphical interest to this post, here's one of the "how to play" screens Smiley

You can use WASD too of course  Hand Any Key
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 12:17:56 AM »

Welcome back! I'm pretty sure I had that exact mouse Who, Me?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »

Thanks!  I just hope this is half as fun to play as it is to write  Big Laff
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 02:12:20 AM »

All I would add is you've been overtaken as far as zombies go, right?

So why not make your own types, ignore hulk types, or anything Left4Deadish. One thing I've always had in mind if I was going to make a zombie game is perhaps something is riding the corpses and doesn't understand how they work.

You could have zombies that run on all fours (faster?). You could have zombies that climb over any available surface and jump/dodge around (we are apes after all, we're just a bit beyond it now). You could have zombies that act as lookouts, screaming if they see anything. What else? You could have zombies that dig holes and wait for things to come to them, like trap-door spiders. Anything really.

Perhaps end game zombies could act just like people, with guns and such, the thing that rides them having figured out how to use the bodies. Maybe they have to stitch each other up and pad their hollow bodies out with wool to keep going. Eeiry.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions they are all good and actually quite in line with what I'd hoped to add. I have lots of ideas for zombie and tower types and a host of other things but I won't be implementing any more until I get this demo out.

There's hulk zombies in left4dead? I didn't know - i've actually never played it, keep meaning to. I'll still have big strong zombies, it's such an obvious (and quick to implement) type that I can't resist. Then may well be green too  Wink
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »

I've been working on the distributable package of the game, not entirely straightforward. The game is written in Java and I need a launcher on each platform. I have windows more or less sorted. Linux too (it will just be a zip, not a package) but i'm not sure for OSX, I would like to produce a DMG for that but I may just have to be practical and have a zip for now. Either way i've ran out of time this weekend now  Facepalm

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 04:02:59 AM »

I've created a DMG but it's a bit of a pain to update on a non mac platform (i.e where my build happens).

Java seems pretty slow on OSX (snow leopard) compared to windows and linux. I don't think it's the graphics card as I ran WOW on this laptop ages ago and it was fine.  I've given up trying to play minecraft on that laptop as its a bit laggy and the laptop starts getting hotter and hotter (and I don't like playing with the trackpad I guess).
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 01:21:33 PM »

Currently regretting having such animated foe, having a lot on screen can slow it down. Why didn't I choose balloons as enemies  Cry  Cheesy

I might replace them with boxes and see if they really are the drain or not.

Also battling some sporadic threading problem  Facepalm
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 06:39:25 AM »

Sooo it turned out to be an obscure bug that only appears when packaged in it's final form. Hard to debug given that the final package is different on windows/linux. Much rebooting later...  Tired fixed it. I need a windows laptop I think to use in tandem.

After that I tweaked some messages the user sees.  It's amazing how much more fun even something small like that is after spending a lot of time on thorny bugs. You get the rewarding feeling of seeing something change.  Beer!

Windows and Linux versions (at least, need to get time on the mac) will be released soon (today I'm hoping Shocked ). there are a few bugs but no showstoppers, at least for a single level demo.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »

I released something  Shocked
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=15985.0
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »

I redid the downloads (see feedback thread), they unzip to a folder now which is tider Smiley

I have also made the Linux and OSX startup scripts executable by default so that should make running it easier.

I bumped up the amount of preloading done in the demo, it makes the game smoother during play at the expense of startup time. I didn't change the progress counter in the loading screen so 30% of the load time actually took 80%.  Feedback was the game was slow to load (which it is, I need to look at it) but I have to think this was partly down to the loading indicator falsely rocketing to 70% :D
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »

Fixed the slow loading! I had some debug code still in there that slowed model loading down 10x  Facepalm

The whole game loads in <45 seconds on my machine now.

Also worked on not trapping the mouse cursor while the game loads Hand Thumbs Up Right
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »

Tweaking some bits that aren't quite right. This evening spent some time playing with the texture for the walkable areas, trying to make it less "bitty" and come up with something nice. Snow is very tempting!

edit: That's odd it says Today at 01:14:38 PM  on my post... but I posted at 21.14 that's not even US time is it?  Screamy
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic