Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:04:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Resources
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Resources  (Read 52946 times)
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »

...okay....(I'm doubting but...)
where should I start?

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »

...okay....(I'm doubting but...)
where should I start?
I'd go here http://www.scirra.com/ or here http://pstudio.firstproductions.com/

Anyways, I'm sure you find somethign suitable for you withing these links: http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html

Now c'mon, give it a shot!

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2009, 03:43:49 AM »

Hey, has anyone got any suggestions for the most sympathetic way to reduce the file size of an MP3? Should I ask the original author if they could resize it? The ones I'm thinking of are deliberately lofi/glitchy compositions anyway, so I'm sure they wouldn't be totally butchered.

(Also at least one is available as a .it file, so there's a perfect solution in that instance!)

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2009, 06:22:28 AM »

Hey, has anyone got any suggestions for the most sympathetic way to reduce the file size of an MP3? Should I ask the original author if they could resize it? The ones I'm thinking of are deliberately lofi/glitchy compositions anyway, so I'm sure they wouldn't be totally butchered.

(Also at least one is available as a .it file, so there's a perfect solution in that instance!)

winLAME has a variety of options for resampling MP3s. I suggest you play around with the settings until you find a compromise between enormous files and crappy quality. Mixing it down to mono would help a lot, and won't sound too bad if the original track hasn't got lots of stereo effects.

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »

I've been browsing around for a while now and I can't seem to find a nice, short, 8-bittish level complete fanfare.  Anyone know of one?

Both Saros and Boscan made an 8-bittish fanfare. They might be what you're looking for.
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »

Is it legal for me to take Oryx's 1-bit sprites and add some grey to areas that are colored in the colored versions of the exact same sprites? I just want to be in the clear. Shrug

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »

I've been browsing around for a while now and I can't seem to find a nice, short, 8-bittish level complete fanfare.  Anyone know of one?

Both Saros and Boscan made an 8-bittish fanfare. They might be what you're looking for.

Yeah, I eventually decided on Saros... Saros's... Saroses

fuck

Thanks though Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2009, 11:04:15 PM »

Is it legal for me to take Oryx's 1-bit sprites and add some grey to areas that are colored in the colored versions of the exact same sprites? I just want to be in the clear. Shrug

I say not ok.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2009, 01:35:11 AM »

The correct way to do that would be to recolor either the colored sprites (or the 1-bits) at runtime.

hi
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2009, 06:59:53 AM »

The correct way to do that would be to recolor either the colored sprites (or the 1-bits) at runtime.

Hmm, I could do that, but wouldn't that fall under Melly's rule:

"Seriously, as a rule, if nobody could possibly tell whether you did stuff during runtime or not, who are we to judge?"

Because I COULD make a special function for drawing for each sprite that changes the color slightly that'll make it look exactly the same if I changed the color of the actual bitmap. It'll just take twice the time...

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »

Because I COULD make a special function for drawing for each sprite that changes the color slightly that'll make it look exactly the same if I changed the color of the actual bitmap. It'll just take twice the time...

Exactly!  How will anyone know if I erased the hero's bow in Photoshop or if I'm just using a mask to hide it?!?

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW

tweet tweet @j_younger
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2009, 12:20:53 PM »

God will know.

hi
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »

God will know.

Not if you do it on the sly.
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2009, 12:31:28 PM »

This is why I asked. I'll do it the hard way then.  Beer!

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »

Technically I could make a game using nobodies graphics within the rules but that would be more of a PCG compo thing :p

I wish I could have entered that one Sad

But yeah, whatever I entered would have been vaporware anyway :p

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2009, 04:37:13 PM »

Maybe just desaturate the colored sprites?

It's the pixel poking that gets sticky with the rules.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »

Maybe just desaturate the colored sprites?

It's the pixel poking that gets sticky with the rules.

No amount of desaturation, contrasting, brightening, will ever get the colors I desire. While it works for some characters, others go completely black in parts and that won't work for my engine. I think it'll be overall better and not messing with the rules if I just hard-core some shading in for specific sprites.

Kyliroth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2009, 05:30:32 PM »

Is there any weather sounds, such as rain?? Can't seem to find any...

(found wind)

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:52:22 PM by Kyliroth » Logged

- no -
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »

changing subject...after the dead line in first part many people posted
sprites..I posted some and they are not in the zip file can I use then...I posted those like 2 days after.,....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:24:10 PM by Joaquim » Logged

Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »

Is there any weather sounds, such as rain?? Can't seem to find any...

(found wind)

Thanks for any help.
Well, as far as rain goes, I searched around a little bit, no luck.  Sad 
Closest sounding sound effects to rain that I have heard is feeblethemighty's hiss and beach SFX (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8963.0)and my own Computer Static SFX (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9048.0 in  the 505 pack).

Ocean Waves, thunder, and animal SFX can be found in my SFX pack.
feeblethemighty's got some birds and beach SFX.
There are probably others too.

Where can the wind SFX be found?  Thanks.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic