Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 06:53:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingD@sher: Dasher with a twist: On hold/backburner due to employment
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: D@sher: Dasher with a twist: On hold/backburner due to employment  (Read 13169 times)
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »

New Build. Now requires PixelShader 2.0 cards (until I refine the blur shader) AS WELL AS all that XNA, .net redistribution, Directx9 developer distribution junk. But hey. It's a prototype.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:19:01 PM by Bezzy » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »

I'm really sorry that a lot of you dudes haven't been able to get this running. As a consolation, I've made a video of it (now that I have broadband).

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2008, 04:55:46 PM »

http://www.bezzy.net/Downloads/[email protected]

Getting there, bit by bit. To be honest, I feel a bit like I want to move on. I've almost tackled all the important issues with this prototype, which was the *point* of the prototype. Developing it further... I think I'll leave that until I have something worth developing it for.

Outstanding problems:

*Still have deformation problems. I need an elegant way to "leave" an arc, such that the siblings of the arc you just left aren't either crunched up tiny, or really huge.

*If I can fix that, I can fix the "auto exit arc" problems (sometimes you get ejected INTO an equally big sibling arc and just bounce back and forth between them).

*Still need to get on-the-fly loading/culling of arcs. This will enable recursive stuff like the original Dasher. This is one thing I aim to get working before I put this prototype to rest and move on to other stuff. It's a bit shifty, though, because it involves freeing up render texture memory on the fly, and that can give a fair bit of a frame rate drop if not handled nicely.

*NOT going to concern myself too much with text readability issues or visual niceness at this point. This is more about getting the fundamental issues sorted (the deformation and the recursion). If I use it for something more final, it'll go in that.

*May add sounds for entering/exiting, just so I can learn how that's done in XNA. Will also add a pitch-shift variable to the XML so that you can set up hierarchies with different notes in. yee haw. Hotdogdiddlydang!

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »

I just got a job, and therefore, I'm not completely sure what'll happen to D@sher.

I've always intended for this to be an open concept (and since I borrow so heavily from the original dasher, it really HAS to be) However, IP rights can be a bit weird when you're joining a company, so I'm just being cautious. The work I've done here was done before joining this new company, so it SHOULD be fine to release the code for it, but you know how it can be, I'm sure.

There's maybe one outstanding problem which stops me recommending you using the idea yet - undeforming. It's fixable, but until it's fixed, consider this an "unproven prototype". Once it's fixed, I'll explain the basic mechanism of the distortion, and then it'll be easy enough to re-create for your own purposes.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic