Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:06:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2In which NMcCoy and his roommate make a game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: In which NMcCoy and his roommate make a game  (Read 3288 times)
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:01:53 PM »

We'll be writing a game from scratch using Processing. Depending on how ambitious we're feeling, it'll be either an action-platformer starring Kazerad's Dragon Princess or something simpler (like a puzzle game).

This is something I made while working on learning Processing for the project.

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »

I knew Processing could make some amazing graphical work, but I wasn't sure how good for games it was.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »

Neither are we. It's basically a dialect of Java with some easy hooks for graphics, input, and such, so it should be fairly suitable for game creation - provided we're up to writing an engine.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:29:59 PM »

I know of a dude whom uses processing for some of his games.. http://www.benhem.com/

Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »

Sweet, glad to hear NMcCoy!  Looking forward to seeing an action-platformer, or what ever you decide to do.

Your processing demo is interesting, had fun with the ripples. 
Processing looks like a good GREAT program for rapid prototyping, and I would imagine it would be easy to migrate over to a different IDE (ie, Netbeans, Eclipse, etc) if you want later on.  Though migrating to another environment would be easy, I doubt you will need to do so.

Ill be using Processing as well for this competition.

Best of luck to you NMcCoy!

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »

Yeah processing is basically just a java library pretty much.  The ide does some other cool stuff such as writing the java code to get a window set up and all but any java code you write in processing will work exactly the same.

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out.  I helped run a processing lab at my school last year for 2 quarters and the students did some cool things.
cougarten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »

will you publish the source?
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »

Probably; it depends on the quality of the final code. I'm not likely to publish it if I'm embarrassed to show anyone the source. Tongue Regardless, the game will necessarily be CC-licensed (due to use of the assets) and sharing the source code is definitely in keeping with the spirit of that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic