Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:40:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Free Dee [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Free Dee [FINISHED]  (Read 27923 times)
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »

EDIT: 10-01-10

Tweaked the ThreeeeDeeee-ness a bit to make the foreground stuff less eye-hurty. Might do more levels after the competition is over, but for now, this is the submission build.

EDIT: 09-01-10

So, it's here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1483931/FreeDee.zip    (~17MB)

And it looks like this:

(there's a less eye-hurty mode for people who don't LIVE IN THE FUTURE and view everything in PROPER 3D WITH PROPER 3D GLASSES)  Ninja

Features
- PROPER 3D, with stuff FLYING AT YOUR FACE! None of that fake polygons-rasterized-to-a-2D display nonsense.

- Play as an UNNAMED RABBIT HERO with an UNSPECIFIED PAST, and rescue the sexy rabbit Dee from MILD-TO-NONEXISTANT PERIL!

- Defeat THE LIZARDOIDS* using TRANSDIMENSIONAL VEGETABLES and the power they wield over the THIRD DIMENSION!

- Over FOUR LEVELS, featuring more than SIX MINUTES OF GAMEPLAY!

* Of which there is currently only one in the game, but here's hoping for more levels...

Credits
DESIGN & CODE
Jack Sinclair (LemonScented)
James Trott
Ash

ART
BigLon
Cookie_Jar
hammedhaaret
KittenEater
Markham
0rel
Pencerkoff
Skab

MUSIC & SOUND EFFECTS
Atuun
BV
Craig Stern
easyname
feeblethemighty
James Tillman
Patrick Alexander
shaktool
Wyvern

I don't know yet if I'll submit it as is, or add a couple more levels tomorrow. I'll see how I feel, and see what the feedback from you guys is like. It's pretty lacking in content, but it's all I could manage, what with xmas, New Year, illness and moving house.

ORIGINAL FIRST POST

To hell with stupid families and gifts and "goodwill to all men", December is now all about Assemblee.

So, I've been deliberately avoiding looking at the artwork and sounds for a few weeks now so that I didn't accidentally get any game ideas too early, so I don't know whose work I will include. Is there a one-stop-shop to browse all of this stuff, by the way?

Don't know what the game will be, don't know if it'll be fun or finished, but by Jove am I going to do my best. Putting my main game project on hold until this entry is done, I'm looking forward to getting back to some good old fashioned "cranking out a game as quick as possible and to Hell with how the code looks" shenanigans.

IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:36:22 PM by LemonScented » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:11:18 AM »

go there: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9599.0

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »

Cheers - I had a good hunt around and I think I've picked out a subset of stuff I'm probably going to use. Most of it's going to revolve around hammedhaaret's stuff:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9276.0

Aw hell yeah.

Going to cherry-pick from a few different sources, obviously, but I think the rabbits stuff will be my bread & butter.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »

Is the game called "Christmas is Cancelled" as well? I'd play it.

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »

I hadn't planned on calling it "Christmas is Cancelled", that was just the name of the thread. But seeing as I don't have a proper title for it yet, it works well as a working title and I might end up calling it that  Smiley

It's all still very rough-looking, but I've got the main character running and jumping and animating, and tonight I rewrote the renderer to do a more 3D view so I can do nice zooms and parallax things. Right now, with lots of identical trees to show it works, it all looks like this:

Next job: Drop a tonne of art assets into it, and work out a way to wire them together so they resemble a level...

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »

nice, glad to see those getting used Smiley
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »

nice, glad to see those getting used Smiley

I guess I'm going in for the second category:

2. Best game not using Oryx's assets.

Grin

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »

Been a bit too busy with the game to find time to post here, but I thought now would be a good time, more as an excuse to give credit to people whose stuff I've been using than anything else.

It looks like this:

But I expect it to look a lot prettier by the time I submit the entry, particularly with regards to environmental effects and backgrounds.

ART
BigLon
hammedhaaret
jrhill
KittenEater
Markham
0rel
Pencerkoff
Skab

MUSIC & SOUND EFFECTS
BV
Craig Stern
easyname
feeblethemighty
James Tillman
Patrick Alexander
shaktool
Wyvern

I have a new name for the game, and a cunning trick up my sleeve, but I plan on saving information about those until I submit. 'Cause I'm a one-man hype machine, y'all...  Corny Laugh

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 05:22:04 PM »

See first post for a link to a playable version. Feedback would most definitely be appreciated  Smiley

Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »

Works and plays great for me.  I'm a sucker for stereoscopic so I loved this, very well done.

Only thing is, when stuff projects too far out of the screen (the leaves for example) its hard on the eyes and makes it hard to focus on.  The objects that project into the screen work beautifully though.

Hand Clap
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »

I sooo wish I had a pair of 3D glasses. Even if only for the screenshot.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »

I have 3D glasses because I'm just that cool.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 07:36:01 AM »

Works and plays great for me.  I'm a sucker for stereoscopic so I loved this, very well done.

Only thing is, when stuff projects too far out of the screen (the leaves for example) its hard on the eyes and makes it hard to focus on.  The objects that project into the screen work beautifully though.

Hand Clap

Cheers for the feedback, glad you like it Grin I might see what I can do about the leaves, getting stereoscopic stuff looking good without inducing headaches is a bit of a black art. Happy that the rest of it is working well for you.

@jotapeh: The game should be perfectly playable even without 3D glasses, you just don't get the special effects. You can turn the stereoscopy off in the main menu, and the depth cues should still all work okay just with parallax, shading and scaling.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »

originalish mechanics + funny npcs + parallax scrolling + platforming + non-GM = <3

I'm that simple. Noir

Some more enemy action would have been great, but I really like the game as it is. Hand Thumbs Up Right

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »

Glad you like it!  Grin

I wanted to do a lot more with the enemies, I spent quite a while giving them an AI that was ripe for abuse (they're not so much "bad guys" as "moving hazards that can be destroyed" from a gameplay perspective), but I just ran out of time to produce more levels which really got the potential out of them. Perhaps I'll put together a "deluxe" edition with a lot more levels if people actually like it and vote for it  Wink

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:56 PM »

Aw, crap.  Sad  My computer's integrated intel graphics card sucks and i can't play this game.  Says my card doesn't support turning off vsync.

I don't suppose you'd want to make a in-game video of some sort?  I'm kinda curious as to what this game looks like.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »

Aw, cack...  Facepalm The game doesn't even need to turn off VSync (in fact it tries to force VSync ON, if it isn't already). I've got a fix for it but I daren't put it in the completed package until I'm told that I can do that without being all disqualified for sneaking changes in after the deadline, so in the meantime here's a new executable you can just download over the top of the original one in the package.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1483931/FreeDee_VSYNC_FIX.exe

Let me know how you get on.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »

Hmm, I'm afraid I can't run either version.

Here's the error I get.  I don't know if it's helpful.
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2254/freedeebug.jpg
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »

... And this is why it's important to submit rough builds before the deadline Embarrassed

Fifth, if you're feeling kind, can you run this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1483931/FreeDee_LOG.exe

And post up a copy of the contents of the log.txt that should get created? Also, I guess it would be helpful if you could let me know what operating system you're running (and whether it's 32 or 64 bit) and whether you've got any versions of Visual Studio installed, that might help. It sounds like the version I submitted might be the one that gets judged, but at least if I can track down and fix the problem I can post a working version up here for anyone else who runs into problems.

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »

oh god my eyes, just played this through, glasses and all. Great premise, the last level was fun in a puzzly way, but the game ties with Chase Goose in terms of physical painfulness. 

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic