Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:55:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Girl and Her Dragon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Girl and Her Dragon  (Read 3654 times)
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »

This will totally not get finished, because as a rule I don't finish things.

That said, this will be a game using the little red haired girl and the red dragon. As yet, I don't know what the player will actually do, or how these two elements will interact, or - you know, anything.

If anyone can point me to the original art threads for either of these, I would be greatly appreciative. I can't for the life of me find all of the sprite sheets for the girl's animations in the folder I have.

Presumably, it will also get a better name at some point, but maybe not. I guess there's nothing quite like being straight to the point.

Thinking AS3 with Flixel, but Python with pygame is an option too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:42:20 AM by Aik » Logged
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:34 AM »

Mockup. Looks like the gameplay will involve being chased by spaceships while flying on a dragon. Hopefully more to it than that...

That ship doesn't work very well against that background though, but I can't find any others in my folder of images. Would have liked to have used the airship, but they're at weird angles. Anyone know of other sideways ships?

EDIT:
version 0.0001?
There's something quite wrong with the dragon animation, but I'm not sure what. The girl also kinda looks like she's jumping up and down still, but that's just tweaking the numbers, which can wait until the dragon looks less fugly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:02:32 AM by Aik » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:57:45 AM »

Ooh, I like where this is going.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:46:52 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

That ship doesn't work very well against that background though, but I can't find any others in my folder of images.

One fix is to change the brightness on either the clouds or the ship.  If you're not in a good position to program that, another idea is to use a color swap on the white in the clouds to something a little darker.  (If you just used the fill tool in paint to accomplish that, I don't think anyone would get overly offended)

Don't forget that the clouds aren't meant to be arranged specifically like that, and that each cloud is a separate asset sitting against a transparent background.  So maybe adjusting the background color might help as well.

-PENCERKOFF

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:41:46 AM »

v0.02? Version numbers are incredibly arbitrary.

In this update we have player control (W, S, and D), clouds moving freely in the background, and an enemy ship than potters around and shoots at you if you're in front of it.

TODO list:
  • Actually clean up some of those bullets and clouds
  • More satisfying movement of the dragon - both fixing the animation and adding some swooping, rapid climbing, dives, etc.
  • Collision detection/being shot
  • Make the enemy more interesting
  • Moving camera/more than one screen worth of content

With that done I might move on to the rest of the concept I have. What I'm thinking atm is mixing SHMUP (only with less shooting and more fleeing) with adventure game. Not sure of the gameplay of the adventure game part yet. All of the thoughts I have so far look like extended cutscenes, which would suck. Don't really want to go the dialogue-tree route though. Meh, I'll think of something for it (or ditch the idea and just focus on flying, I guess).

The ship doesn't look as indistinct now with the clouds split up and moving, so I might just ignore the problem.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:48:52 AM by Aik » Logged
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:13:02 AM »

One fix is to change the brightness on either the clouds or the ship.

Another option, which looks quite good if your engine can support it, is to give the ship a blurry drop shadow. I know how I might try this in OGL, but obviously it's not so easy depending on the engine/technology/etc....

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 04:06:01 AM »

Guh. The initial enthusiasm-fuel is running low, and so most of the TODO list is not done and I don't feel like doing it.

So tomorrow instead of trying to get all that working I might have a shot at completely unrelated aspects, which in reality probably means glorified cutscenes, and hopefully the stock of fuel for the more important stuff with replenish with neglect.

... and hey, I was just about to ask a question about a technical thingy that's been ruining everything today, and then I realised that the answer was completely obvious. Interestingly, it seems that the equation I worked out for it using simultaneous equations (very surprised that I remembered how to do those ... oh high school, how did it turn out you were useful after all?) was actually right despite my deepest doubts of that ... it's unfortunate that I couldn't have arrived at the same thing just by, y'know, not being retarded.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:55:33 AM »

Time for the daily update:

Today sucked. The work:progress ration was very lopsided to the work, and everything was frustrating even when it really shouldn't have been.

On the bright side, the progress that was made looks kinda nice.

That's a butchery of dbb's dungeon tiles. They're meant to be isometric, but with careful copying and pasting I have made them sidescroll. This may be a violation of the rules, but if I wanted to annoy myself even more I could do it at runtime using bitmapdata's copypixels method and such. As I have better things to be doing than writing worthless code like that, I'll keep it as-is unless someone (important) screams at me about it.

So yes. That's progress. lol.

If anyone knows where I might find a bed or something that can be mis/reinterpreted as a bed, please tell me. Although I might be able to fake it already with these snazzy curtains...

(and yay - I now have 490mb of music and sound effects to play with)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic