Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:00:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Snaptrix [DONE]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Snaptrix [DONE]  (Read 8306 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »

A Wetrix-style puzzle game that cruelly misuses Turbo Brother's tilesets for purposes that he never intended.

UPDATE 4/1:

v1 now available!

DOWNLOAD
Alternate mirror here

The game is pretty much finished. It has customisable controls and various other options. The only thing I might still want to implement is tweaks to the size of the playing field and some scenery like trees and rocks. Couldn't be bothered to do scenery, it was too hard.

Assets used
block graphics by Turbo Brother
background by Kavs
music by Mudeth
font by Rynen10k
sound effects by Stian Stark

Default Controls (can be changed for laptop users, etc.)
Numpad 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9 - move block
Z - rotate block

Feedback
I'm looking for some feedback so I can improve the gameplay before the competition is over. I have a few specific questions:

- First of all, is the game fun?
- Do you find the pacing too slow?
- What is your high score, and how high up the mountain have you gotten?
- Which mode (Standard, Quick or Giant) do you prefer?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:13:40 AM by William Broom » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 10:59:22 AM »

Man Wetrix was THE SHIT.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:21:01 AM »

Man Wetrix was THE SHIT.
Yeah, what I really liked about Wetrix was that although it was a puzzle game, you also got the feeling that you were creating something, like you would in SimCity.

I updated the first post with a picture and a new name.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »

Now I just want someone to make a sim-city type game.

SIM CASTLE!

hi
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »

Demo is up! Check the first post for download link!

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 02:08:37 AM »

I couldn't work out how to download it. Also, any chance of non-numpad controls, for those of us with laptops?

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 02:35:47 AM »

Man I'd really rather use the arrow keys, the numpad thing I wasn't used to at all...

hi
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 03:56:00 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

That file host is really slow.

The game controls are pretty awful, what I want is to use the full set of numpad controls.  Not sure how difficult diagonal movement would be for you, but I really want it.  Then people who want to can use the arrow keys, even if it's technically at a small disadvantage.

I really wish the spacebar option was automatic, that way your game doesn't end prematurely.  That way, the game would really end when you haven't placed a piece before it moves up another level.

The force-build option seems odd, not sure if it's worth keeping.  The game seems like it would be fun enough without it.

I really enjoy every level after the first one.  Maybe that could be solved by making the board smaller or something?  That first level just goes too slow.

Most importantly it needs Russian music, though I'm not sure what's at your disposal.

Hope that helps, I think this could be a real winner.

-PENCERKOFF

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 02:16:47 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

That file host is really slow.
Ah, sorry about that. Probably should have checked it out before using it for the first time Huh?

The game controls are pretty awful, what I want is to use the full set of numpad controls.  Not sure how difficult diagonal movement would be for you, but I really want it.  Then people who want to can use the arrow keys, even if it's technically at a small disadvantage.
tbh I didn't want to implement diagonal movement because it would require me to rewrite some of my shitty code. But I will do it now.

I really wish the spacebar option was automatic, that way your game doesn't end prematurely.  That way, the game would really end when you haven't placed a piece before it moves up another level.
I was actually thinking about this as well. Good idea.

The force-build option seems odd, not sure if it's worth keeping.  The game seems like it would be fun enough without it.
I agree that it's kind of superfluous and it makes the control scheme cluttered. It's mainly there to help speed up the first level, which might not be necessary if...

I really enjoy every level after the first one.  Maybe that could be solved by making the board smaller or something?  That first level just goes too slow.
... I don't particularly want to shrink the board, but I could make the player start off with a pre-built square that's, say, half the size of the playing field.

Most importantly it needs Russian music, though I'm not sure what's at your disposal.

Hope that helps, I think this could be a real winner.

-PENCERKOFF

Thanks for your feedback!

@jrhill: Sorry, I really should have implemented custom controls before I uploaded this.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 11:25:16 PM »

V0.9 available now!
DOWNLOAD

Thanks especially to Pencerkoff for his great feedback.

Aquillion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:22 PM »

The download link doesn't seem to be working for me; it takes me to the filedropper main page.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »

Damn, I should have remembered that filedropper was only very temporary. I'll put it back up in just a moment.

EDIT: OK, here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3wwz1w4ykyo
or http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z3EKKU2J
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:38:26 PM by William Broom » Logged

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 11:01:58 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I just made some significant changes to my computer, so maybe this is a "my machine" problem and not a "your program" problem.

The pieces don't react in any conventional way to my key presses and they apparently are split between two places at once, such that they wiggle back and forth as fast as the frame rate (I think).  As you might imagine, this kind of ruins the experience, though everything else seems to work right.

You really need to get a second opinion, though, so anyone out there willing to try this?

-PENCERKOFF

jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »

I tried it and I had the same problem. Then I tried redefining the keys and it seemed to work fine.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Yes!  That's it.  I believe the problem before is that your "up right" button (or maybe a different one) is held down until you redefine it, if that makes sense.

That music fits really well, too.

-PENCERKOFF

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 01:15:08 AM »

Sorry about that, guys. This version should have the problem fixed:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F5B02RB8

http://www.mediafire.com/?zlz1onwmyzn

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »

I think i like this better than real Tetris.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
starclover
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 07:30:42 AM »

I'm hooked! I know this is a bit late but I'd really like the game to save a screen shot of the high score mountain. now I just prnt scrn and save a file on the desktop   Tongue
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »

Liked: Great choice of assets, especially the music which I'm now humming as I type.

Disliked: I didn't like the core game mechanic, I guess that's a person gripe though. The controls were a bit fiddly, because of the isometric display. I kept get my directions mixed up. Also, the iso made it difficult to line up the tiles accurately. Maybe adding a grid option could help that. Needed some music on the title screen.

Conclusion: A decent puzzler, but not quite my cup of tea. Coffee

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic