Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:26:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Video Game Generator [FINISHED!]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Video Game Generator [FINISHED!]  (Read 20828 times)
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2009, 01:47:18 AM »

Controls:
Arrows move & jump
Space/Enter accept

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:16:44 AM by Sos » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »

OK, back from school and made some work-plan. This is going to be a tough job, so I better have one.

Things I know I can do pretty well:
- crate asset database, that can point to specific parts of sheets, to avoid having to rearrange everything.
- chopping sound effects
- Procedural level generation
- creating engine for game generation
- Creating an engine that plays generated game

Things that may prove tougher than expected:
- procedural generation of ingame text. I can either make it random and funny, or accurate but dull. Either way, these will surely be mostly nonsense
- Making each game unique

Things that I have no idea if it will work as expected:
- fun

Also I need to work out the syntax of video game titles, and I need you help with that
Meaning, that I would like you to come up with some random video game names and submit them here:

OK, I'll get to indexing assets as soon as I leech them all

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »

I suggest going through and deleting repeats, of which there are a few from what I can tell. I'll make up as many fun titles as I can, to at least do SOMETHING for this!
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 05:24:28 PM »

Oh, you know those titles them peeps made (Pgil and one other). I made some Perl so that you could type in what you wanted and then get a game name made out of each individual letter, instead of each individual title. Still needs a bit of work, but I think now it would really suit the mood of this game. And I just thought it would be a novelty.

EDIT: Got angry with Javascript so you're just going to have to bear with having the page refresh every time you randomize. Thought may as well get it done and not bother with fancy shit.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:09:02 AM by Blaizer » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:31:06 AM »

Nice concept! Looking forward to seeing it in action.

I made a random artgame-generator back in the PCG competition. Didn't quite work out the way I wanted, but it may be a useful reference: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1747.0

For random dialogue generation, one compromise is to create long lists of nouns, adjectives, and verbs, and just let the computer play Madlibs with semi-structured phrases.

Also donated a bunch of random titles for the hell of it. Ninja

mirosurabu
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:10:34 AM »

After some thinking, I decided to steal your idea. Would you mind that? I mean, seriously, the premise is so much awesome that I can't resist not to think about my own game based around it. Most likely, I won't finish it but it's worth a try.

Having said that, the idea is awesome and I'm looking forward to this.

I donated a couple of stupid titles.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 05:44:40 AM »

I suggest going through and deleting repeats, of which there are a few from what I can tell. I'll make up as many fun titles as I can, to at least do SOMETHING for this!

Doing that.... Smiley

Nice concept! Looking forward to seeing it in action.

I made a random artgame-generator back in the PCG competition. Didn't quite work out the way I wanted, but it may be a useful reference: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1747.0

For random dialogue generation, one compromise is to create long lists of nouns, adjectives, and verbs, and just let the computer play Madlibs with semi-structured phrases.

Also donated a bunch of random titles for the hell of it. Ninja

trying out your game... And MadLibs is what i was looking for, but since it's completing sentences with phrases, I have to make another script that will generate the sentence patterns, though.

After some thinking, I decided to steal your idea. Would you mind that? I mean, seriously, the premise is so much awesome that I can't resist not to think about my own game based around it. Most likely, I won't finish it but it's worth a try.

Having said that, the idea is awesome and I'm looking forward to this.

I donated a couple of stupid titles.

Steal it then Tongue

Anyways....

I did some prototyping, and decided I would like to cover several genres, so it's not just a platformer generator, but a game generator. Also, this makes it easier to create some unique games, since I will be able to mix the genres freely, like having a platformer with RPG battles, or a RPG with 1-on-1 fighter battles.

For further planning, here's my genre list, arranged due to difficulty of making that:

Easy ones:
- Platformer - I did sth like that for Anti-assemblee (here)
- Shmup - the best ones seem random anyways, don't they?

Hard ones:
- RPG  - the text generation is my concern
- Strategy - i haven't even try to make one, ever
- Adventure - i might just want to drop that idea

Medium ones:
- FPS - will be hard to mix with the others, but i did 3d procedural generation before, so i can give this a try
- Fighter - it's an not-as-easy-as-it-seems one

I hope to get this partially working by the weekend (like, make it generate at least one genre).
And there's LudumDare going on this weekend, so it would be a good idea to have people try out the generator, and get some feedback, while I'm working on something completely different (or cheat my way through ludumdare by generating a game for this Tongue)

I'd use some genre suggestion as well, if you have anything that might be not-so-hard to generate on your mind.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 05:48:05 AM »

wow some of these names are awesome, we should make a compo with this list of names later on...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 05:53:47 AM »

wow some of these names are awesome, we should make a compo with this list of names later on...

But it makes me wonder "How the hell do I generate a 'gimme back my euro toothpaste' game?"

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »

FPS doesn't seem too difficult, not much extra procedural work than a typical roguelike requires. Of course it depends on how 3d you make the levels, but actually most fps levels are almost essentially 2d.

A random adventure would be pretty neat, but it might take a whole compo of focus to do well. Maybe having certain properties of items and then some kind of property interactions... Would make for some very tough adventure puzzles since you would be able to use things in so many ways which are not the solution to the particular game. Hehe. Instead of "I don't think I can do that..." you would have "Well, you did it, but you don't know whether it was the right thing or not." Scribblenauts comes pretty close to this. But take that and then add dialogue - pretty tough indeed.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »

Maybe having certain properties of items and then some kind of property interactions... Would make for some very tough adventure puzzles since you would be able to use things in so many ways which are not the solution to the particular game.

Too hard, I will make the puzzles just random.

e.g.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »

Haha, I have to admit that it much easier. Even designing a good adventure game in a month is a challenge, so it's probably best to take the path of least resistance here. Plus, think of the hilarity Smiley

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »

OK, I made an application that can arrange tiles into uniform tilesets, so you don't have to write different code for each tileset.

It is a crucial tool for my VGG, and I will surely make more of these (for sprites and other stuff). Sharing is caring whatsoever, so with few usability tweaks it's ready to meet the public.

Setup:
DO NOT CHANGE THE INSTALL PATH, OR IT WILL NOT WORK!!!
Also, it will ask your permission to add stuff to your registry, say yes.
ps. it handles only png files (a subject to change it there's a demand)

Usage is as simple as that:

1. Open file using context menu

2. Arange tiles so that they match the mock-block yellow tiles

Pick a yellow mock-block tile with left mouse button and browse the tileset for appropriate tile.
Press TAB to toggle whether yellow tiles or tileset tiles should appear on top.

On the top-left you can see a preview of your yellow tile, and the tile that you are hovering your mouse above at the moment for reference. On the top-right you have a preview of full tileset, (switchable with tab, as I aid  before)

Some more keys:
Q W - change tile size
A S - change margin (top-left)
Z X - change tile padding (spacing)
Left mouse button - Select tile
Right mouse button - pick mask colour (this will be applied while saving)
Mouse wheel - zoom
Middle mouse button - hold and move the tileset about
Space - Preview (hold)
Enter - Save

3. Press Space to preview if it tile well

4. press enter to open the file save dialog

Do enjoy Smiley
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:33:11 PM by Sos » Logged

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 09:52:40 PM »

Ooh, I like text generation. Do you need any help with that?

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »

I have finished my Title Remixer! It works great, but it lacks a server that has or can get Perl installed. Information is in my thread here.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 03:55:48 AM »

"In Another Shit"  Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:07:23 AM by Hideous » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 07:51:47 AM »

OK, today I gonna tweak the tile arranger into a sprite arranger, produce several sets and focus on the generator. I  will probably drop the idea of having a database, or just use it partially.

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 09:22:36 AM »

I will probably drop the idea of having a database...

If you do that, how will anyone get to play my game idea, 'Trampocalypse Now'?

Really interested to see what you do with this, though; it's a very ambitious idea, and obviously reminiscent of ROM CHECK FAIL. Your tile arranger tool looks really useful, too.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 10:38:05 AM »

I will probably drop the idea of having a database...

If you do that, how will anyone get to play my game idea, 'Trampocalypse Now'?

I mean databasing the tiles instead of rearanging them. you will get your trapocalypse armadillo game whatsoever Tongue

Really interested to see what you do with this, though; it's a very ambitious idea, and obviously reminiscent of ROM CHECK FAIL. Your tile arranger tool looks really useful, too.

Thanks Smiley I hope the tool will come in handy, sprite arranger is in the making.

Also I included the source (i didn't notice i did that, but it's a nice thing to do, isn't it?) so feel free to submit any changes.

The tool uses: allegro, libpng, loadpng (and some windows filesave common crap)

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 11:30:34 AM »

It's cool if I wait til you submit this and then generate my entry for the compo right?
Looking forward to some random fun!  Evil

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic