Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:08:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Video Game Generator [FINISHED!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Video Game Generator [FINISHED!]  (Read 20928 times)
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 12:00:58 PM »

It's cool if I wait til you submit this and then generate my entry for the compo right?

Armmadillo themed?

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »

It's cool if I wait til you submit this and then generate my entry for the compo right?

Armmadillo themed?

Wha? I mean, sure Smiley

Edit: Oh, I see that Armadillo-based names are popular...

Have you checked out WordNet by the way? Its an online database of words and info about them... grammar, categories, etc. You might be able to query it to find out nouns and verbs and stuff from input text (the titles).

Not exactly sure how it works, but maybe its of some interest

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:45:02 PM by Ed » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »

Yeah, I seen Wordnet, that would fit my needs. But i don't think i would bother using that.

I have got a plan already considering text theft generation   Hand Thumbs Up LeftWell, hello there!

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »

Yeah, I seen Wordnet, that would fit my needs. But i don't think i would bother using that.

I have got a plan already considering text theft generation   Hand Thumbs Up LeftWell, hello there!

Sure, might be a bit of a (n additional) monster for a 6 week deadline Smiley

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 10:32:21 PM »

I arranged 75 tilesets Smiley

LazyWaffle
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 04:57:53 AM »

I had an idea like this a while ago, it was based on a player-input seed. I dubbed it impossible and moved on Smiley
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 05:05:57 AM »

I had an idea like this a while ago, it was based on a player-input seed. I dubbed it impossible and moved on Smiley

I plan something more cruel than just seeding the randomizer with the game name, I want the game to be themed the way that people desire, or use some random crap and cheap optical illusions my sublimal hypnotic techniques to make the player believe that it is this way Tongue

PS I already arranged major randomness into tilesets, now i have to do the same with several sprites and general objects (what wil hopefully go faster, and I can focus on the generator.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:11:07 AM by Sos » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »

I ahave tweaked my Tile arranger app, so it can be used to produce massive amounts of sprite .bmps with a single mosue click each. I jhave incorporated it with a single package with the Tile arranger Behold

You can see two previews in the screenshots:
The left one previes what's currently under the mouse, and will be selected after you click
The right one is the selected set, and will be saved when pressed enter

Instructions:
Setup:
1. Install to default dir (overwrite the old ones if it has to)
2. Agree on messing up your registry (i will post registry messup removal tips later on)
3. Right click on a PNG and you have two options now (object leech and tile arranger (see below))

Usage:
[Arrows] change size of sprite
[A S] change sheet margin
[Z] [X] change frame padding
[1] [2] change frame number (can get up to 32, will crash after that, sorry)
[TAB] Change saving directory
[Left click] select current sprite
[Right click] select mask colour (will be paintted to magic pink while saving]
[Mouse wheel and wheel click] - move / zoom the sheet
[space] change sprite picking mode, there are two:
1. Divides the sheet into tiles
2. Captures what's currently under the mouse cursor
[ENTER] Save current sprite.

When you pick the directory, it will create two files there (unless you already used that dir):
count.txt: keeps the current sprite number for generating file names
db.txt: saves some useful info about the file (in format: filename|width|height|frame_number|)

Then just click on sprites like mad, and press enter to save them (it will indicate that you did that)

OK, I made an application that can arrange tiles into uniform tilesets, so you don't have to write different code for each tileset.

It is a crucial tool for my VGG, and I will surely make more of these (for sprites and other stuff). Sharing is caring whatsoever, so with few usability tweaks it's ready to meet the public.

Setup:
DO NOT CHANGE THE INSTALL PATH, OR IT WILL NOT WORK!!!
Also, it will ask your permission to add stuff to your registry, say yes.
ps. it handles only png files (a subject to change it there's a demand)

Usage is as simple as that:

1. Open file using context menu

2. Arange tiles so that they match the mock-block yellow tiles

Pick a yellow mock-block tile with left mouse button and browse the tileset for appropriate tile.
Press TAB to toggle whether yellow tiles or tileset tiles should appear on top.

On the top-left you can see a preview of your yellow tile, and the tile that you are hovering your mouse above at the moment for reference. On the top-right you have a preview of full tileset, (switchable with tab, as I aid  before)

Some more keys:
Q W - change tile size
A S - change margin (top-left)
Z X - change tile padding (spacing)
Left mouse button - Select tile
Right mouse button - pick mask colour (this will be applied while saving)
Mouse wheel - zoom
Middle mouse button - hold and move the tileset about
Space - Preview (hold)
Enter - Save

3. Press Space to preview if it tile well

4. press enter to open the file save dialog

Do enjoy Smiley

PS I just produced 335 sprites in about 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:16:44 PM by Sos » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 04:47:28 PM »

I made a tool that let's people tag the assets so that they can be picked by a generator later on. Please contribute randomness tags if you have spare 30 seconds.

Feel free to use this tagging:
Browse tagged images
Sprites
Database
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:14:19 PM by Sos » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 08:11:41 PM »

I'm visualizing something akin to Indy's Desktop adventures where the randomized features are pretty samey from game to game. Or will this be crazily random, to the point that you get nonsense (or impossible) combinations, maybe like ROM CHECK FAIL?

-SirNiko
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »

I'm visualizing something akin to Indy's Desktop adventures where the randomized features are pretty samey from game to game. Or will this be crazily random, to the point that you get nonsense (or impossible) combinations, maybe like ROM CHECK FAIL?

-SirNiko

Now I'm working on generating some levels. The levels design will be more procedural than random and I plan to have it well balanced and properly implemented. But after doing that, I'm going to stuff these levels with complete randomness, unless I get a better idea by the time I do that.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »

OK, I'm curerently working pretty hard on the generator, and it's produced it's first level  Beer!

This is still not a game generator, just a level generator preview, but I wanted to show that i'm actually doing somethign apart from making you submit stuff. By the way, thank you guys for your effort, I wouyldn't have managed to do that myself. This became quite a community project, btw.

I will update this generator as I get it do some more sophisticated layouts.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 05:43:32 PM »

Looks like a good start. Got some more metroid-ish levels, and some more mario-ish ones. Also, quite a few levels are just a bunch of completely closed off rooms, with no way to pass through them. Not sure what that was meant to be for...

Your efforts on this thing are quite commendable.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »

Looks like a good start. Got some more metroid-ish levels, and some more mario-ish ones. Also, quite a few levels are just a bunch of completely closed off rooms, with no way to pass through them. Not sure what that was meant to be for...

Your efforts on this thing are quite commendable.

Thank you Smiley

Closed-offrooms and high "hills' that block the way is just a random feature, but instead of getting rid of that I'll play some dirty dricks, like having powerups, that make you jump really high or destroy blocks. This saves lots of time and headscratching, and everyone loves powerups, so it's not a bad idea imho after all. Also Defining more straight-forward levels, will make them dull (which doesn't mean that I won't be making more complex ones).

Ludumdare starts at 20 hrs or so, So I presume i won't finish a playable preview by this. I still will try tho.

Edit:

Ludumdare starts in 20 hrs, and I didn't finish it, and my host is down, so all the stuff that is there is currently not working :/

edit2:
the above is obsolete  servers back
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:29:03 AM by Sos » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 11:25:56 AM »

Ludumdare's done for good. I'm getting back to this.
Thread fell to page 3 so did my motivation, so I guessed a good bump would cheer me up.

ALSO
I made the engine place sprites here and there and it can access the database that YOU GUYS CREATED Smiley (neat , huh?) It just debug-diplay all the words found there, but that's a step ahead. I also brok 353 pledges and arranged my code into classes, because authors of this programming language forgot to add some basic structural functionality to it :/

EDIT:

I got the to script accept video game titles and come up with a game scheme. HOWEVER, some things that are in the title, cannot be presented in the game since there are no such assets, so it suggests a new title.

Example output for "Yifffy Bob and the Valley of Yiff" (title taken from here)
Code:
IMMA MAEKING UR Yifffy Bob and the Valley of Yiff
yifffy is stupid, so you gonna have a game about dirty!!!
bob is stupid, so you gonna have a game about stone!!!
valley is stupid, so you gonna have a game about axe!!!
yiff is stupid, so you gonna have a game about ice!!!
Behold.... Dirty Stone And The Axe Of Ice !!!
DONE!

HAHAHA, I'm so close now   Hand Shake LeftBig Laff Hand Shake Right
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:19:12 PM by Sos » Logged

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 07:04:07 AM »

Wow, that's awesome! I'll try to check out the preview later. Can't wait to see what kind of output it produces!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
mizipzor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 07:31:58 AM »

You have no idea how many times Ive wanted (and tried) to do this! Procedural generation along with artificial intelligence are some of my favorite subjects. Its going to be interesting to see how far you can take this.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »

Quite interesting! Hope to see this come to fruition.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »

Great, keep going! I'd LOVE to see this finished.  Kiss
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley

Anyways, I managed to do some other things with that:
1. It gets game title as input
2. resolves it according to current asset database
3. Picks assets that cossespond to tthe title
4. goes to wiki (uncyclopedia currently) and steals some text
5. Generates some random text from wiki input that is to be shown ingame.
6. displays all that it did.

feel free to try it out and tell me if this works

I have arranged all my code into neat classes that work together pretty well. Now I just have to make it work with level generator, and I can get to the engine.

I would reaaaaally like to get the engine going by christmas, but the weather is stopping me from doing so (I live in a village and it's like -20 C (-4 F) here now).

EDIT: The wiki leech seeems to suck.... i'll get to that in the morning
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:00:31 PM by Sos » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic