Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:19:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Steel Fist of the Lonely Plains (On Hold)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Steel Fist of the Lonely Plains (On Hold)  (Read 5325 times)
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2009, 03:16:37 AM »

Unfortunately, I'm putting this project on the backburner. Not sure if it'll get finished by the end of the compo. I'm running into some... frustrating problems, and other projects are distrating.

Turn based mech combat.

Title subject to change.

Confirmed Features: Explosions, Robopants.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:19:22 AM by Stargoat » Logged
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 04:07:48 AM »

Oooohhhhh Yess!

I wouldn't have thought that my sprites would work in an isometric setting, but judging by this mockup you're on to a winner.

While I was making the graphics for part one, I of course had lots of ideas for what my ideal game using them would be. One of my favourites was "turn-based mech combat".

You make me happy. What are you writing this in?

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 04:15:08 AM »

I'm using Construct. It's quick and easy and flexible... Still, this will be a challenge. I haven't done a game of this potential scale before.

Glad you're excited, I hope I can get something playable done come the end of the competition.
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:11:34 AM »

This sounds like a winner Smiley

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I wouldn't have thought that my sprites would work in an isometric setting, but judging by this mockup you're on to a winner.

Wait... are you kidding?  You drew them as though that was your main intention.  They aren't side-on view, they aren't bird's eye view, and they move in 8 directions.  If I had to guess I'd say that was a 45 degree view.

-PENCERKOFF

cougarten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »

directX 9, yay!
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »

directX 9, yay!

Ah yeah, one of the major drawbacks of using Construct...
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »

Wait... are you kidding?  You drew them as though that was your main intention.  They aren't side-on view, they aren't bird's eye view, and they move in 8 directions.  If I had to guess I'd say that was a 45 degree view.

Well, I had in mind a sort of top-down-ish orthogonal perspective like Zelda. But now I think about it, that's so close to isometric it doesn't make much difference to the sprites. I mean, theoretically, the diagonal animations will be about 15° out of whack, but it's not like I drew them that accurately anyway.

I'm just frustrated I can't carry on making sprites for this. Hand Shake Left AngryHand Shake Right

Are those Turbo Brother's iso tiles?

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

They are.

Don't worry, I think you've supplied enough assets to make a coherant experience. The unit roster might be a little limited though... Let's see what happens eh.
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »

I'm thinking about having the battles themselves being relatively small scale, on a 15*15 tile map. I think this is big enough to offer tactical potential, but small enough to keep map design at a reasonable size.

What do tigers think? Obviously it's subject to how the game actually plays...
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 03:05:22 AM »

With such a small roster, yeah I think a small map is a good idea. It can be a bit "puzzley", trying to find the strategy intended to win for a given scenario. If you exhaust your creativity on the small maps, you can always change it up later!

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »

I'm thinking about having the battles themselves being relatively small scale, on a 15*15 tile map. I think this is big enough to offer tactical potential, but small enough to keep map design at a reasonable size.

What do tigers think? Obviously it's subject to how the game actually plays...

Well, chess works fine on an 8x8 grid, so I'd guess 15x15 is doable. Hovendall Tactics, a turn-based tactics game someone did in Game Maker, worked pretty well, in my opinion, and that didn't (as far as I remember) use maps much bigger than that.

Are you going to make it multiplayer-only, or have an AI opponent? In the latter case, I'd be tempted to suggest going with whatever the AI can handle best, as this is often where games of this sort are weakest.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »

it's full of awesome. love the title, love the premise.

GO! Coffee

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »

Are you going to make it multiplayer-only, or have an AI opponent? In the latter case, I'd be tempted to suggest going with whatever the AI can handle best, as this is often where games of this sort are weakest.

As Construct doesn't support multiplayer yet, the game will, unfortunately, be strictly single player, unless I can fudge it with html... but I don't know how well that would work/how I'd accomplish that.

Convincing AI will definitely be the hardest aspect of this project.

it's full of awesome. love the title, love the premise.

GO! Coffee

Thanks man Smiley
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »

I made a mech-themed strategy game once. The ai made me sad Sad Here's hoping the ai you create will make you happy and not sad.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic