Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:01:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2"The Journey", Finished, Bugfix available [20100131]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: "The Journey", Finished, Bugfix available [20100131]  (Read 14300 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 12:00:30 AM »

Ow, got stuck in a short hallway and couldn't dodge their stars!

hi
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 05:24:48 AM »

The rewrite is paying off, getting things in way faster than before. Working on the first boss and the main areas.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 04:43:24 AM »

Just got rid of the most annoying part, menu, gui, options, etc. There's a new demo for you. In the current progress the player cannot use the rotation powers, he needs to acquire them first (they're still in there, expect complications though).

Options for sound, music and key bindings are there. There are no sound and music though Wink

The settings and savegame are stored in the users application data folder, in a subfolder "GR Games\\The Journey". Would be great if somebody could check if the default key bindings are working off the bat; i've had trouble with that before.

Have fun and let me know of any problems!

Click here for new preview: http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/webmisc/Tigger_Preview1.zip

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:50:09 AM by Endurion » Logged
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 06:40:22 AM »

Things are progressing nicely. Now it's to design content, content and more content. And avoid dead ends throughout the stages. Gulp.

I've added most music, sounds effects are still missing though. Right now the game plays quite linearely, the explorative parts are yet to come Wink

The new preview is available at http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/webmisc/TheJourney_Preview.zip
Tempel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »

Totally badass.  The beginning area is a little boring; seems like any old platforming landscape, not really taking advantage of the rotating.  But then I got past the first boss and the world got crazy and I got lost.  But fighting a giant ninja by dropping out the ground from under him?  Totally badass.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »

Thanks Smiley
Yeah, the beginning is sorta bland, but if you get rotation from the start you're pretty much invincible.
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »

I can't get past the first boss here Sad. Once I fail a jump over him, he dribbles me on the wall until I'm down to 2 HP.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »

I'll look into that! I'll increase the no-hurt-delay so you can "fly" safe outside his collision area.

Note for a safe jump off the wall just press up and only after that left or right.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 12:29:29 AM »

Frantically tying bits together and finishing levels. I also still need to do the end part. I'm optimistic on a finished entry though.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »

Yes!! It is done! There should be no hard bugs (like crashing or dead ends).

Have fun!

Download here http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/files/The Journey.zip
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 11:26:52 AM »

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't get past the very first area. I beat the two ninjas, then I go through the hall and I get to the part where I'm blocked. My rotate buttons don't actually do anything at this point and I can't seem to walljump onto the next platform...

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 12:28:14 AM »

Where are you stuck after the first two ninjas?
In the next room you just need to jump onto the trees and walk through the bottom right part.
On the grey wall part the door on the bridge won't open, just fall down and walk through the entrance there.

The rotate buttons will come in later (there's a tad of plain jump'n'running first).
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:24 AM »

Sorry for the inconvenience, my homepage seems to be out since today morning. I'll have the provider looking into it.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 10:28:08 AM »

Yay, homepage and download are back up again.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't get past the very first area. I beat the two ninjas, then I go through the hall and I get to the part where I'm blocked. My rotate buttons don't actually do anything at this point and I can't seem to walljump onto the next platform...

I'm stuck here too. I can wall-jump onto the first platform after beating the ninjas at the start (although it took me a while to realize that this was actually a platform, rather than part of the tree) but I don't see how to get on to the second platform. I try to stick to the wall facing it but that doesn't seem to work.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 01:13:04 PM »

Sounds like you cannot jump three tiles high? I've actually put some code inside that would give anyone the same height regardless of frame speed. If you can't jump that high I've failed miserably Sad

It's supposed to work simply like this:
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »

Sounds like you cannot jump three tiles high?

It looks like if I hold down jump, my head ends up exactly three blocks high.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 01:06:22 AM »

Crapedicrap, I obviously botched it. I didn't experience the bug with 3 different computers.

Please, try the 1.1 version here: http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/files/The Journey 1.1.zip
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2010, 04:13:27 AM »

Crapedicrap, I obviously botched it. I didn't experience the bug with 3 different computers.

Please, try the 1.1 version here: http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/files/The Journey 1.1.zip

Now I can jump up to the ledges. The jump is a bit weird; it starts out the same as before, then when I reach the old height there's a jerk and he rises one block higher.

I'm afraid I'm not getting much further through the game. In the room after those ledges, there's a door at the bottom that I can pass through without opening it; then I find something that looks like a mirror, hovering over some platforms, that doesn't do anything; then I go down, into a room with lots of stairs and ninjas, to find some weird big red thing at the bottom right. It's difficult to jump to, possibly because of the stickiness of the wall-sliding, but I made it up there once and then couldn't get it to do anything. No rotating yet, as far as I can see.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 05:33:13 AM »

What heck of a machine do you have? Blazingly fast or slow?

The fix was put together rather ugly, so basically when a jump ends I check if there are still pixels missing to the full height. And then I just move the final part. On my machines it was almost always no, 1 or maximum 2 pixels missing (that's why I never noticed before).

The mirror thingy is a save point, press down to use it. The big red thing is a door, press down to enter it.

In hindsight I've missed a few explanations for the game. Call it the learning process Smiley

Anyhow, thank you for confirming that the fix kinda works!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic