Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:03:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Oh Crackers, Not Again! [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Oh Crackers, Not Again! [FINISHED]  (Read 7060 times)
The Greenest Banana
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »

All right, I've always meant to get around to finishing  a game, but I always get distracted. Hopefully having a contest deadline will kick me into gear.

I'm a little fuzzy on concepts, so we're off to a good start here. All I know is, I want Fifth's doggy (I've always wanted to play as a doggy) to appear as the protagonist, so I'm thinking of the old "protect the harmless animal until they get to the goal" type game, but reversed. There are certainly a wealth of great sprites and tiles to use here, so I don't think design consistency will be a problem.

I'm going to be using Flixel, since it looks pretty awesome and people have made some pretty awesome things with it. I've never programmed in actionscript, but it doesn't look very different from the Java/C family of languages. Doubt I can match wits with some of the programming masters here, but it's all for fun. I'm really looking forward to what people do with some of these assets!

Edit: Finished. Check it out here!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:14:20 PM by The Greenest Banana » Logged

A Game By Its Cover Entry: Burp'N'Shoot
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »

Heh, dogspeed! 
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »

I'm using that all the fucking time now.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ashkin
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:33:49 PM »

Why is this not an official forum smily???
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »

If only I could.

DEREK, DO EET.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ashkin
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »

:dog:
Darn. DEREK!!!
The Greenest Banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »

While everyone else has been debating the merit of dog emoticons, I've been working on this game. Surprisingly, I might actually have something. But it's going to be down to the wire. We'll see how much of a game there is when tomorrow ends...

You can find it here for now Check the first post. If it doesn't load at first, just click the logo in the middle of the screen. Any advice on hosting flash files would be much appreciated. Also the preloader doesn't appear to be working so you might just have to wait for it.

As far as I can remember, credits are as follows:
Enemies, UI, Misc Stuff: Arachne
Doggy: fifth
Little Girl and Tiles: pgil
Font: Zaratustra
Music and Sound: feeblethemighty

Let me know if I missed you! I'm going to look forward to being done with this so I can actually sit back and play all the other games people have made.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:23:04 PM by The Greenest Banana » Logged

pgil
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 01:34:27 PM »

Hey, I like this. Great use of the tiles and sprites. The two levels are really fun. I hope you have time to make more.  Beer!
racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 02:37:44 PM »

This is really cool!  Look forward to playing more levels Smiley

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
ecliptic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »

Nicely done! It feels very cohesive.
The Greenest Banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »

Thanks for the comments, guys! I only had time to get four levels in, but they get rather hard so I hope it'll be enough. Link is in the first post. I'll probably keep working on this after the compo, since it's kind of a promising idea.

Now, to play the 50 other games people made!

TheDustin
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 01:26:36 AM »

I really like the symbiotic relationship going on here. Having the player indestructible and yet a guardian for someone weak was pretty cool. A couple times I dove in front of those projectile-spitting guys and took a bullet for the kid, and he made it through safely. It also forces a faster tempo than most platformers, which is a cool change-up. I really dug this.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »

Liked: This is a great idea for a game. It's an underused concept that I've not seen in a platformer before. All the assets gel really well together.

Disliked: It's really unforgiving. You don't recover quickly enough after being hit so being hit once often means you struggle to get any further. The collisions seemed a bit off. Often I'd believe I'd landed on an enemy only for it to knock me down. This was especially true for the flying enemies.

Conclusion: Good concept with a lot of potential. Would benefit from being a little more forgiving in the difficulty.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 03:34:29 PM »

Heh, cute!  I think you pulled off the defending aspect really well.  You got it all controlling and animating nicely, but it got hard awfully fast.  Not undoably hard, but you really don't have a moment to spare in the latter two levels.  I gave up on going out of my way for coins right quick.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic