Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:45:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingClick Copter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Click Copter  (Read 2938 times)
cradmazy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »

Click Copter is a 2D side-scrolling shooter available online for free download.  It features over 20 unique levels and bosses, over 10 weapons, accurate and precise controls, and a completely original soundtrack.  It is reminiscent of games such as Gradius, R-type, and Gamma Bros. This game is of a quality and caliber rarely found among online games, or any game free or commercial for that matter, and you are doing yourself as an indie gamer a disservice by not playing this game.

Video Preview

Play Click Copter
www.thegamespage.com/backroom
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 01:27:01 PM by cradmazy » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »

I'd personaly introduce myself before advertising a game on TIGS.

Also, you should make it clear if you created the game or not (ie: you posted in the "games you'd like featured on TIGS" to submit the game). If you have nothing to do with it, this post will be deleted. If you did have something, you almost broke this rule.

Finaly, I'd add some screen shots to that post if you want to get some hits.

cradmazy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »

I'd personaly introduce myself before advertising a game on TIGS.

fair enough.

Also, you should make it clear if you created the game or not (ie: you posted in the "games you'd like featured on TIGS" to submit the game). If you have nothing to do with it, this post will be deleted.

I was involved with the design of it with my good friend KNPmaster of www.thegamespage.com, using Multimedia Fusion 2 by ClickTeam.  I personally made the majority of the original soundtrack using anvil studio in midi format.

If you did have something, you almost broke this rule.

FEEDBACK
Developers, post your games here for critical feedback from players.

forgive me for my confusion... i thought this would be an appropriate forum to post in

Finaly, I'd add some screen shots to that post if you want to get some hits.

the youtube video should suffice.

Give the game a try good sir, i am sure that you will find enjoyment out of it. 
either way, same team pal. take it easy. good day  Smiley

PS quite ironically, i am a naturally blond haired fellow by the name of bill.. though i do consider myself quite lucky
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:37:48 PM by cradmazy » Logged
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

I gave the game a good try, sir, and immediately closed the tab I was playing in because the frame rate dropped to 0.5 FPS and it quite frankly wasn't much fun. But then again, the last game that one 0.5 FPS and I enjoyed was "A Game to Kill Your Computer", and I don't think another game will ever replace it.

cradmazy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »

I gave the game a good try, sir, and immediately closed the tab I was playing in because the frame rate dropped to 0.5 FPS and it quite frankly wasn't much fun. But then again, the last game that one 0.5 FPS and I enjoyed was "A Game to Kill Your Computer", and I don't think another game will ever replace it.

i have a Dell desktop with a pentium 2.4Ghz single-core with 512MB ram, a 32MB ATI graphics card, that it runs 50/50 on at all times. 

thats a real shame to hear...

a few others have had ur experience. it has to do with the software used to post the game on the internet, not the game itself.  it does work on a majority of machines
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:57:05 PM by cradmazy » Logged
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:49:36 PM »

Well, I hope you fix it soon. It's not that the game didn't look fun.

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »

It wasn't that this wasn't the right place to post it (The 'what you would like featured on TIG' thread -wasn't-), it's that the intro-post was just the same as the one in the other thread, so it looked like advertising. If you'd like feedback, just say so.

Anyways, at the moment I'm actually enjoying it a fair amount, hence I'm being fairly nice today. If for nothing else, flying about with a droid and lightsabres is a satisfying experience. Something to consider however is general attitude. It's a fun game, I'll agree. And it's certainly a lot more fun than most flash games given the nicer collision detection and shooting/slashing bullets out of the sky and rebounding them at enemies which seems a little much for flash but which is handled rather smoothly by this in this instance.

However;

"This game is of a quality and caliber rarely found among online games, or any game free or commercial for that matter, and it would be a crime not to post it on a fine website devoted to indie games such as this."

It's not THAT good. Don't over sell yourself. We like confidence sure, but at the same we appreciate tact and modesty. No one is going to think highly of you if you promise an experience like that which fails to deliver. Just promise them a fun arcade-style experience with fun weapons and badguys to blast.

The music is beginning to rub me up the wrong way at the moment though, and on a whole the game is much too easy I think. But still, it's a sound effort. Just, try to be a little more relaxed. You don't have to try to sell freeware to us, we lap it up. Place it in front of us and request that we enjoy our meal, don't promise a 5-star experience and give us a plate of chips with a battered sausage.

EDIT: The Jumping boss in the water just raped me. That was a decent challenge there, would've been nice to see that kind of thing applied to the other bosses I think.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:43:30 PM by Xander » Logged
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:00:09 PM »

I thought the game was really good and fun. It would be nice to see a little variance in the levels besides just changing the color of the ground. Making the background different will make a huge difference, having the background the same for every level makes it feel like you are playing the same area over and over again. The bosses were really creative and fun to play, the bee was awesome. Cool game, great job.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »

Alright, I tried this little game.

First thing that strikes me is that the game's controls are unresponsive. It is quite hard to control the avatar correctly which rises the game's difficulty in a bad way. Altho the concept of the helicopter is interesting, the mechanism doesn't feel as smooth as it could be. The player always have to hold down the up (or w) key in order to rise. Also, the shooting mechanism has no variation through what I've played (perhaps it changes in later levels). Also, I felt like the avatar was very hard to control and I died numerous time while trying to move close to powerups and enemies because I couldn't control the avatar like I wanted to. 

Regarding difficulty, I feel like the only difficulty of the game is mastering the controls. Once that is done, pretty much every challenges in the game can be beaten. This causes an inverted learning curve (which is bad): the game is very hard to learn and becomes easier with time. Which leads me to the masterhsip of the game...

The game can be summed up in the following sentence: Tap constantly Up (or W key or right-click) while left-clicking continuously. This is pretty bad in terms of variation and masterhsip. The player needs something to learn besides tapping keys and clicking a mouse. You could add weapons or game techniques requiring the player to hold down the click button and release, you could make it that the avatar doesn't drop instantly once you release the up key or sometimes add challenges that needs to be overcomed by actualy moving around the screen.

As for weapons, I found the upgrades rater useless. The missiles, which seems to be seaking, don't seem to seek very well and have a lower accuracy ratio than I have by simply clicking. The laser saber weapon forces me to move close to enemies which bascialy means rising my chances of crashing just to kill an enemy that I could get rid of when shooting. The minigun and the laser have the same advantage (their shots do not "lob" like the basic shots) so they are interesting to own but do not offer much more. The drone and shield weapons are very interesting tho.  When you create a weapon for a shooting game (and any games using weapons), first start thinking about their gameplay implications then add a cool design. The laser sword is very interesting in terms of concepts but in the actual game, it is almost useless. You are more likely to loose than to win when using it. When you create close-range combat in long-range game, always give a really good advantage on close-range combat since it's alot more dangerous. Also, try to find different play techniques and design wepaons around those. For instance, a common play technique found in shooters is "spreading": The player will move around the screen, shooting everywhere, spreading its shots everywhere hitting alot of enemies at the same time. Another one is "focused" shooting: the player will focus on one enemy at a time instead. There are many other play techniques but I'll let you find them out by yourself. It's alot more interesting this way Smiley

A thing that bothered me alot was the fact that the basic shots were definitively not accurate because of the lob effect. Although I see a good thing in this ( this would work as a motivational element for the player: change your weapon when you can cuz this one sucks) right now, I feel like it's not implemented correctly. Perhaps it's simply because the player's focus is grabbed too much by the flying mechanism. This would need further research.

The enmy designs are a bit too simplistic in my opinion. It would be a good idea to add more variations to your enemies. Double cannons or flying enemies that shoots differently are only two very simple variations of what you already have. Also, the bosses I've seen (1,2 and 3) are almost excatly the same. The 3rd one is a bit more interesting (but it's concept doesn't seem to fit at all with everything we've seen before. A giant bee leader of small ball-like helicopters and  spherized cannons? Why? Why weren't there enemies and designs in the level telling me that we're facing some kind of nature-oriented threat?) but the first 2 bosses are exactly the same since they can be destroyed the same way.

The first 3 levels become repetitive simply because they use the same challenges and look exactly the same. A bit of variation on the levels would help alot. You could make one where you travel upward instead of forward for instance. This is just a very obvious way to add a bit of variation, there are many better ways than that to spice things up.

I like how the game can adapt itslef to all kinds of players. The fact that you can use the arrows, the ASDW keys or the mouse to control the flight of the avatar is a very good touch. The grapical representation of the game fits with it's retro theme and chiptune musics. 

Right now, I feel like I've seen this game before even tho it's bringing something rather new to the genre (the chopper thing). But even with that element, I'd still play through old games than this one. Overall, the game has something good going on but it wasn't enough for me.

Well, good job. I hope to see further titles of your team.
Later!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic