Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:17:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Mushroom Stew [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Mushroom Stew [FINISHED]  (Read 27152 times)
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2009, 10:22:59 PM »

The code is finished except for minor tweaks/debug and the scores (displayed after each level). The game saves your progression at the end of each level and you can continue by pressing space in the title screen or beginning a new game by pressing F1.

Now the time I've been fearing the most is upon me: level design. I'll try to pack a mini story as well.

Any comment is welcomed!
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2010, 03:28:11 PM »

Here are the changes since last version:

• Title screen updated with faster shadow shader
  • NPCs will always turn around when hit. If they see no one, they'll then pause before continuing their patrol otherwise there's a small delay before they shoot
  • NPCs falling from high will get damaged (useful when using the gravity special weapon)
  • Crouching is more reactive + some NPCs will think player's dead (and will resume their patrol) if he stays crouched
  • Lowered all NPCs' health
  • Fixed a bug in the editor when sometimes all the objects wouldn't be loaded
  • Added second level basics

From now on, I'll try to produce 2 or 3 levels a day if things go fine. I'd like to have 5 levels in all the differents lands (lava/sunset, ice/night, grass/sunrise). The special weapon will be discovered during the night levels: the player will be able to either pick the time weapon (slow downs everything around him) or the gravity weapon (deflects bullets around and send NPCs flying). Both can be used for a certain duration and will refill over time.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:17:07 PM by iarwain » Logged
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »

Today's update:
What's new:

• 3 new user-created challenge levels made by Blarg & Luco
  • 2 new types of mushroom NPCs available in the editor: orange guys with homing missiles and purple ones with lightning balls
  • A lot of misc bug fixes and tweaks

The archive contains both windows and mac versions.

A couple of screenshots from the new challenge levels made by Blarg & Luco:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:15:03 AM by iarwain » Logged
mr.mnml
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2010, 04:18:31 PM »

wow im only noticing this right now, you're using my backgrounds :D cool stuff, i didn't even finish anything. no i feel bad 8(. could have given you a higher resolution, at least.
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »

Thanks for the backgrounds, mr.mnml! Smiley
As or the higher def ones, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use them or not as they weren't submitted during the first part of the compo.

If it's allowed, I sure would like to use them! :D
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »

Last update: I've added 2 new levels and I think I will only make 12 instead of 15 total.

Before the deadline, here's what I'd like to do:

- 4 last levels + polish all the levels (trees, houses, ...)
- Better special weapon gauge (not easy to see which special weapon is active)
- A end game boss if I have the time (a magician invoking mushrooms)
- Story between levels
- Score system (will be saved for each challenge map + main campaign)
- Clouds in the sun set levels + snow flakes in the night one (and maybe rain in the sun rise ones)

Will probably be too much work before the deadline:

- Online leaderboard

iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »

Mushroom Stew 1.0 alpha has been released.

Beside the story that will be added tomorrow, it won't change much now. Also a new challenge map by Blarg has been added. The archive contains windows, mac OS X & linux binaries.

[EDIT]

You can change the controls in MushroomStew.ini.
You can have a list of the controls + basic game hints by pausing the game with escape.
There are .bat/.sh files to run in editor mode and the edited map is specified in ScrollEd.ini. I'll add a readme with all the info soon.

Also, there's now a (very basic) boss:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:15:14 AM by iarwain » Logged
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »

Updated the archive with a story, a readme, minor tweaks and joystick/gamepad support (untested! :D). Done! Let's do something else now. ^^
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2010, 07:48:23 AM »

This didn't run for me. The music starts playing, but nothing happens after that. The window was still responding, because I could close it normally, but nothing ever gets rendered in it. I'm on WindowsXP and my gfx card is a bit crappy so it might be a shader issue.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2010, 07:54:17 AM »

Doesn't work for me, intro screen runs at <1 fps and I had to kill it Shrug

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »

It might be a shader issue for both of you. You can deactivate the intro screen shader (which only purpose is to texture the title and drop shadows) by editing /data/font/Text.ini.

In the file there's a line in the [Title] section which is: ShaderList = TitleShader. Simply comment it out with a ';' or erase the line and that should do the trick.
If in-game shaders are a problem, the water shader is defined in the same way in /data/MushroomStewData.ini and the weapon ones in data/object/Weapon.ini.

Someone reported a crash on an old Celeron processor as it turns out I didn't remove the option for using SSE2 instructions when compiling the windows version, my bad! ^^
After recompiling the game worked fine for him at 60 FPS.
I can recompile a windows version without SSE2 instructions if anyone needs it. Smiley
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2010, 03:48:10 PM »

That did the trick. Thanks.

Liked: It plays at a nice pace with comfortable controls. Good mix of assets that worked together well. The death sound was a particularly good choice.

Disliked: There were the technical issues of course. Ice level... Why?!

Conclusion: It has a lot going for it, but not enough to offset the fact it has an ice level.

iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »

That did the trick. Thanks.

Liked: It plays at a nice pace with comfortable controls. Good mix of assets that worked together well. The death sound was a particularly good choice.

Thanks!

Disliked: There were the technical issues of course. Ice level... Why?!

Erm, because I ran out of ideas.  Embarrassed Also I wanted to have clouds during evening, snow weather during night and rain during morning, but I ran out of time to write the appropriate code/shaders.
If it stopped you from continuing, you can simply edit /data/scenery/SnowTileSet.ini and in the first couple of lines, you can remove the line IsIce = true. Smiley

Conclusion: It has a lot going for it, but not enough to offset the fact it has an ice level.

I won't do it again! ^^
Thanks for trying the game and giving your appreciation!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic