Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:22:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Part Two Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Part Two Discussion  (Read 62097 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »

First finished game get?

mizipzor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »

I forsee an unoffical "phase 3" to this competition in February / March, wherein the people who participated in part one team up with the people who used their resources in part two, and get to produce the game-specific assets that the rules currently prohibit them from providing.

I mean, there's a couple of awesome-looking games using my graphics, but every time I see them I think "Oh, damn, if only I'd thought to provide x" or "now I see that sprite in context, I realise it would look much better if I did x".

And yes, in general, assuming everyone's up for it, I strongly feel that the part 1 entries should form the core of a permanent library of CC-licensed sound and graphics for make benefit glorious TIGsource nation.

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Yes!  We need a library of graphics and sound that are creative commons or whatever, and people can just submit all the crap they have lying around their computer that never became a game.  We would need some good organization, perhaps some kind of browser that would organize indie assets...

TIGSource might then really be your only indie-gaming stop.  Everybody will lose interest in other indie sites and we will be forced to become incorporated to handle the traffic.  Eventually TIGSource will go public and indie games will become main-stream games and main-stream games will become indie.  Everyone will leave TIGSource to join up with Nintendo to feel more indie.  Mario becomes the new Cave Story, the empire loses the death-star to a single photon torpedo, and everybody gets married.  THE END

-PENCERKOFF

I agree so totally much with both statements.  Gentleman

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:11 AM »

We need to have a link that you can click and BAM! instant art game !

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2009, 09:23:55 AM »

Tongue i would love to see THIS

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2009, 10:33:14 AM »

heh heh heh that would be awesome.

Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »

Amazing!!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:29:47 PM by Joaquim » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2009, 01:27:44 PM »

Do it Soulliard! Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2009, 04:31:35 PM »

Do it Soulliard! Kiss
DO IT!!!!!!!

PLEASEEEE

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2009, 06:09:58 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Yes!  We need a library of graphics and sound that are creative commons or whatever, and people can just submit all the crap they have lying around their computer that never became a game.  We would need some good organization, perhaps some kind of browser that would organize indie assets...

I think this is a really top idea. I've often spent time searching the net for such a resource and never found anything beyond people ripping sprites from older commercial games.

I'm a web guy by trade so would be happy to knock something together along these lines if nobody has any objections.

theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I think this is a really top idea. I've often spent time searching the net for such a resource and never found anything beyond people ripping sprites from older commercial games.

I'm a web guy by trade so would be happy to knock something together along these lines if nobody has any objections.

I've done the exact same thing, search the internet for assets.  There's not much stuff out there.  Of if there is, it isn't easy to find.  I would love to have a resource like you guys are talking about.  Maybe something where people could submit their assets and at the same time say what license they are using?  I don't know, but too much good stuff has been produced just in part 1 of this compo to let it go to waste.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2009, 07:58:13 PM »

I've done the exact same thing, search the internet for assets.  There's not much stuff out there.  Of if there is, it isn't easy to find.  I would love to have a resource like you guys are talking about.  Maybe something where people could submit their assets and at the same time say what license they are using?  I don't know, but too much good stuff has been produced just in part 1 of this compo to let it go to waste.

Yeah I've started working on it already. Hopefully have something usable in a day or two. I figured let artists/muscians upload their stuff and specify the licensing criteria. Then let game developers sign up and tag art assets on the site with games they've made using them.

As I say I should have something working soon. Then just need to convince all the good people who did great work for part 1 to agree to include their works.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

As I say I should have something working soon. Then just need to convince all the good people who did great work for part 1 to agree to include their works.

I'm not saying you should stop, but don't forget there were a few asset browsers made for part 1.  If we got some mods to sign off on the idea, maybe we get a thread going in the art section.

I guess it's important to assure everyone that this is separate from this competition and not everything from part 1 is automatically accepted.  You mentioned people allowing different licenses, but for purposes of people not becoming confused we should probably just stick with the one license that we used in this competition.  Basically these sprites are usable in non-commercial games so long as credit is given.

-PENCERKOFF

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I'm not saying you should stop, but don't forget there were a few asset browsers made for part 1.  If we got some mods to sign off on the idea, maybe we get a thread going in the art section.

I guess it's important to assure everyone that this is separate from this competition and not everything from part 1 is automatically accepted.  You mentioned people allowing different licenses, but for purposes of people not becoming confused we should probably just stick with the one license that we used in this competition.  Basically these sprites are usable in non-commercial games so long as credit is given.

-PENCERKOFF

Oh yeah I wasn't meaning to make this directly related to the competition, not automatically including everything from part 1. I figure it would be up to do individual artists whether or not they'd want to be include their works.

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2009, 07:40:37 AM »

This is my work on a potential indie game asset repository site so far:

http://tigassets.lupusstudios.com/

I've used a couple of people's assets without permission (sorry) for test data at the moment but will clear it out and start again if people are into this and I actually launch it.

to-do list:
- support for sound assets
- support for adding in games and linking them to assets used\
- add in some more fields to the assets to link to creators website/email etc...
- let uploaders choose licensing to be displayed
- replace header image with something more indie

I've decided to leave user registration switched off for the moment until it's a little more complete.

Just wanted to get a feel for what people thought? Should I continue with this?

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »

Looking great, really!

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2009, 09:47:24 AM »

Looks really good - needs a license badge on the detail page somewhere, and maybe tags?
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2009, 12:14:57 PM »

Just wanted to get a feel for what people thought?

Awesome idea but ditch the Sonic header.  Sonic doesn't exactly scream "indie" to me for some reason.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »

Just wanted to get a feel for what people thought?

Awesome idea but ditch the Sonic header.  Sonic doesn't exactly scream "indie" to me for some reason.

Yeah that was the plan, just need to get some permissions before I throw something up there.

Aquillion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2009, 06:32:51 PM »

At the very least, it'd be good if future versions of the comp asked all submitters to select a license, so future people coming through and looking at these things know how they can use them.

If you don't want to require one license, there could be a list of a few 'suggested' licenses to encourage consistent licensing (because, of course, it's a huge bother to use a bunch of different things that are under different licenses...  but public domain, free use with attribution, noncommercial-with-attribution, and competition-only categories would be useful.)

My understanding of the way things are now is that nothing submitted can be used without the creator's permission unless they've stated otherwise (though of course we can assume they've given permission for them to be used in the competition by submitting them to it.)  It'd be nice to use these comps to encourage the creation of a database of free resources to encourage future game development even after the comp is over.
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »

Don't the rules for part 1 pretty much state that all the stuff submitted will be released under a CC license?
4. The art and music that was created for the competition will be released to the public under certain provisions (non-commercial, credit given, etc.).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic