Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:14:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Part Two Discussion
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Part Two Discussion  (Read 62061 times)
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »

seems like 50% of the games willuse oryx assets, you should be proud oryx Smiley

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »

Sooo... a question... would generating 3d assets from 2d assets be allowed? Like, doing some extrusion... that kind of thing...

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »

seems like 50% of the games willuse oryx assets, you should be proud oryx Smiley

I'll only be sad if no one uses the first person dungeon tiles Smiley And Oddball should get credit, he inspired me/made the first 8 pixel fantasy sprites Smiley
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »

I'll only be sad if no one uses the first person dungeon tiles Smiley And Oddball should get credit, he inspired me/made the first 8 pixel fantasy sprites Smiley

I played around for an hour in photoshop with the first person tiles. There's a few cases your set doesn't handle. Even if you don't allow big open rooms, just corridors, I don't see a way to draw an L shaped turn, for example. I was going to forge ahead anyway, but got enamored with some other sprites. Might come back to it later though.
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »

I was going to (and still want to do so in the future) use Oryx' tiles, but I decided against it and chose to use a mixture of tiles.

Open ended question - I need a name for my game, so I can make a dev thread! Only I can't think of one. But its going to be a multiplayer co-op-em-up (read: coop metroidvania style game). Likely, the playable characters are going to be Robo Cop, Cowgirl, and ninja, with a yet unnamed character to join them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »

Can we do voice acting? Or is that counted as non assemblee resources?

KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »

Yeah, I don't think it'd be a good idea to do voice acting for any Assemblee games now. All the assets, including voice acting, for Assemblee were supposed to be done during part 1, and it's part 2 now.

EEEEEEEGH
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »

Yeah, I don't think it'd be a good idea to do voice acting for any Assemblee games now. All the assets, including voice acting, for Assemblee were supposed to be done during part 1, and it's part 2 now.
Well damn.  Tired

ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »

* Scaling
I might add, scaling while preserving aspect ratio. It sounds obvious, but sometimes there are bad surprises.

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »

For what it's worth, I'm loving this competition so far. Being able to drop someone else's nicely animated sprites into my engine is an absolute freaking joy compared to staring at my normal fugly coder art. I'm planning on having my game process some of the assets at runtime (playing with colour more than anything else - from what I've read I could probably get away with doing some of this "prep" work in Photoshop, but I'm going to get my engine to do it 'cos it seems like a more personal touch that way), and I intend to have a LOT of fun using 2D assets to make a 3D game. Originally I was just going to do a 2D thing but when I settled on the assets I want to use and gave it some thought and realised what was possible, so tonight I've been all like "Okay, time to rewrite the renderer, we're going 3D!".

So yeah, cheers for running the compo. I'm having a blast  Beer!

EDIT: Incidentally, +peter... Is that something from a game you're making, or is just messing about in a modelling/image editing package? It looks astonishing.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »

THE BIRD NEEDS TO BE USED!
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »

Hmm. Would voice-acting work if it's for text that's already in the game? As in, the stuff would still be there even without the voices (not in my head) but it'd be better with them?

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 06:24:48 PM »

I'll use it, but i'll use everything, does it count?

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »

[I played around for an hour in photoshop with the first person tiles. There's a few cases your set doesn't handle. Even if you don't allow big open rooms, just corridors, I don't see a way to draw an L shaped turn, for example. I was going to forge ahead anyway, but got enamored with some other sprites. Might come back to it later though.

Bahh..   Cry I wish someone had caught that before part 1 was over - It works fine if you don't show two squares ahead (and just leave it black) - but if you want to use the distance tiles also, I forgot one tile and its mirror. The pixels are actually there, you'd just need to make a new tile out of an existing 2x8 strip into a 4x8 strip like so:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:28:30 PM by oryx » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »

Oryx pretty much wins part 1, I think.

hi
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »

Hey peeps!!! Does anybody have a server that has or can get Perl installed on it??? I have made a title remixer but have no where to host it. All details are here on my thread. Thanks!

Maybe we should split it up so we can have Oryx win, and then somebody also to win for music/sfx.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:42:55 PM by Blaizer » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »

Maybe we should split it up so we can have Oryx win, and then somebody also to win for music/sfx.
I'm pretty sure it's already set up that way.

hi
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's already set up that way.
Well that's alright then!
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 09:57:25 PM »

Hey Derek, are bugfixes allowed? Smiley

Anyway, here's an example of how to fix the one missing tile in case the fix is allowed or coders want to fix it themselves (left most tile on the walls which fixes distant turns and emptiness)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:27:25 PM by oryx » Logged
CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 12:08:40 AM »

Are we required to release the source code of the game/engine?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic