Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:57:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Part Two Discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Part Two Discussion  (Read 62068 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00:22 AM »

I think this might become the "Best use of Oryx's assets" competition.

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 05:37:27 AM »

I think this might become the "Best use of Oryx's assets" competition.

Maybe we can have a category for "best non-lofi non-roguelike".

mirosurabu
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2009, 07:11:09 AM »

Are we required to use Oryx's assets?
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 07:35:49 AM »

Yes, and we have to use them in a MMO real-time puzzle game.

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 07:55:04 AM »

Incidentally, +peter... Is that something from a game you're making, or is just messing about in a modelling/image editing package? It looks astonishing.

No, its just something I'm messing around with in Blender. Aside from the depth of field post processing, a screen shot from the Blender Game Engine looks almost exactly the same - but I don't think I'll have the time to complete an entire game.

There are so many amazing assets however .. I can't help but play with them some more  Well, hello there!

Yes, and make a rogue like out of them.

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:27 AM »

I propose that prizes shall be awarded in the following categories:

1. Best game using Oryx's assets
2. Best game not using Oryx's assets.
3. Best game using Oryx's assets that isn't a roguelike
4. Best Roguelike not using Oryx's assets.
5. Oryx's best asset
6. People's choice: Tigsource's favourite 8x8 pixel videogame character of all time
7. Best lo-res dungeon crawler graphics set
8. Oryx.
9. Game that's closest to the game that Oryx would have made using his own assets if he had.
10. Best music/SFX in an Oryxlike.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 08:31:26 AM »

8. Oryx.
9. Game that's closest to the game that Oryx would have made using his own assets if he had.
10. Best music/SFX in an Oryxlike.

ROTFL! :D

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »

Are we required to release the source code of the game/engine?

I don't think so, but not sure.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Oryxlike.

If we use that word more often around here, it's only a matter of time before people start claiming to have played the original Oryx and are all snub about it.

Poor Oddball...

-PENCERKOFF

MaloEspada
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 01:08:06 PM »

Its pretty fun messing around with all these assets  My Word!

My children are yours.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 01:45:46 PM »

Tongue heh. I hope someone makes a game out of the Pirate set or the Ninja set, those could make a fun RL and at least make the theme different.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »

Oryx is Nethack to Oddball's Rogue.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 02:11:15 PM »

My generator will make Crysis from your sets on its final evolution form Tongue

Tongue heh. I hope someone makes a game out of the Pirate set or the Ninja set, those could make a fun RL and at least make the theme different.

enalios
Level 0

:)

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »

I had a question about fonts. I started to type out the text of the people talking in my game when I remembered that a lot of people in part 1 made neat fonts...but it never occured to me that fonts could be considered art assets and that I should be confined to only the ones made for the competition!

Thoughts? Or has this already been addressed?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 05:21:31 PM »

Custom fonts are the catch; using fonts on your computer is A-OK.
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »

I had a question about fonts. I started to type out the text of the people talking in my game when I remembered that a lot of people in part 1 made neat fonts...but it never occured to me that fonts could be considered art assets and that I should be confined to only the ones made for the competition!

Thoughts? Or has this already been addressed?
Same thing happened to me.  This issue has been addressed here by Melly:
I explicitely stated on the rules that all file convertions that do not alter the artwork are allowed. You can make any TTF fonts you want from the fonts provided in the compo.

Also, fonts should probably come from Part 1. There are a good few of them that should be useful for most situations. But nobody will come at you with pitchforks for using Times New Roman on your game.

This compo is about creative use of limited resources and improvisation. That's the fun of it. Now go and start making some games already.

EDIT: Made some additions to the rules to further clarify it for you, my pretties.
Rules can be found here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9600.0

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
enalios
Level 0

:)

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2009, 05:48:59 PM »

Ah, thanks for copy/pasting that clarification by Melly.

Times New Roman might be okay...but I'm thinking I shouldn't use any of the fancy fonts I've purchased or downloaded in the past.
SimpleSyrup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »

I'm assuming it's kosher to convert .wav to .mp3? Just because I can't Embed wavs in AS3... mp3 only...

On the TTF debate, I thought there were some very nice fonts made in Part 1, so I personally shunned using TTF with Flixel and rolled my own raster-based fonts. FWIW.
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »

I'm assuming it's kosher to convert .wav to .mp3? Just because I can't Embed wavs in AS3... mp3 only...
I think that is safe.  See Melly's comment:
* Converting files in ways that do not alter the visual quality of the assets. You can, for example, change GIF's to PNG's, but you cannot do stuff like changing a true-color PNG to a 256-color GIF as that would visibly change the colors and quality of the asset. Same goes for audio assets and 3D file formats. You can also transform font images provided into TTF's or another font format of your choice.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Ah, thanks for copy/pasting that clarification by Melly.

Times New Roman might be okay...but I'm thinking I shouldn't use any of the fancy fonts I've purchased or downloaded in the past.

I know it's okay to use Times New Roman (or others), but using them seems cheap.  Are there any fonts out there bigger than 8x8?  I managed to get one of the fonts working but I couldn't stand how the pixely font clashed with my graphics (er... not my graphics).

Also not a big fan of uniform character spacing in a sprite font, but I can get over that.  Unless, of course, someone knows a reasonable way to make that happen in Game Maker.

-PENCERKOFF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic