Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:39:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Quest! [FINISHED!] [WIN + MAC + LINUX!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Quest! [FINISHED!] [WIN + MAC + LINUX!]  (Read 27326 times)
philnelson
Level 0

future doom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »

Love this.
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 07:28:52 PM »

Alpha 2 is UP! Check first post for download links.

SO what's new in this build? EVERYTHING! I completely redid the way it draws images so it's even further removed from the actual .png file... Except this is all under the hood and doesn't make a bit a difference on the surface. BUT! Later this will allow me to hard-code in different shades for characters and tiles.

Anyways, more importantly, it has GAMEPLAY! That's right! You can die, you can win, you can GET POINTS! Each enemy counts as 100pts, and when you finish a level you get 1000pts on top of that! Some levels are easier than others, and honestly, some of them I just threw together. Alot of stuff isn't ready, the enemy AI is NOT finished, I had to take out their walking around code because it was messing stuff up, but they are still dangerous if you are not careful! Also, sound effects! :D

I am open to suggestions for the Mage's alt-fire. With the mega jump and the 5dmg bolt, he's a bit too overpowered.

So please, go ahead and play and give me back your thoughts, now that you can do more than jump and fall endlessly. (Oh, and I fixed that too. :D)

Oh and wait at the title screen for a surprise. :D

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »

Played the demo. Stuff you probably already know, but I'll say anyways:

When the archer has his back to a wall, his arrows will get stuck in the wall behind him even though he's clear in front.

Player can still fire when dead.

Sometimes the wizard would super-jump when I wanted to shoot a bolt. Some sort of 'charge' gauge to show me when I'm going to attack and when I'm gonna jump would be nice.

So far, I'm not convinced the wizard is overpowered. He takes out skeletons easily, but he's dead meat against the demons, since he gets one hit and he's toast. I think careful level design and item selection could balance out the heroes.

I like the art style, and can see you making little adorable pixelated caves and forests with it. The light/dark tiles make for great contrast. I was never in doubt about what was a platform and what was in the background. You've got a good thing going here. More content (monsters, items, environmental traps) and tighten up the controls. As it stands, it was a bit difficult to get the hero to go where I wanted, and sometimes the secondary weapon would fire when I wanted the main weapon. Might suggest making the secondary weapon map to a different key than the shoot button, but that's just me.

Looking good so far, but you're not there yet!

-SirNiko
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »

Thanks SirNiko for your great feedback. Smiley

When the archer has his back to a wall, his arrows will get stuck in the wall behind him even though he's clear in front.

Yeah I knew this, I'll try to get it fixed next build.

Player can still fire when dead.

lol This is totally my bad, I threw in the death code and forgot to test it. >.< Thanks for finding this.

Sometimes the wizard would super-jump when I wanted to shoot a bolt. Some sort of 'charge' gauge to show me when I'm going to attack and when I'm gonna jump would be nice.

I've noticed this too, and since you noticed it also I bet it'll be a reacurring problem, which button should I map it too? I'm trying to keep it to Gameboy-only controls so the two buttons that aren't being used regularly are the up and down arrow keys. My brother suggests holding down the up arrow and then pressing Z. I'll probably try that next.

So far, I'm not convinced the wizard is overpowered. He takes out skeletons easily, but he's dead meat against the demons, since he gets one hit and he's toast. I think careful level design and item selection could balance out the heroes.

I need to check my code, I am pretty sure the Imp/Demon does 3 dmg, but that means if you got pretty much any amount of damage you stand a good chance of dying... hmm thanks again for you input.

I like the art style, and can see you making little adorable pixelated caves and forests with it. The light/dark tiles make for great contrast. I was never in doubt about what was a platform and what was in the background. You've got a good thing going here.

Good good, I definetly plan on improving the backgrounds/levels once I get closer to release.

More content (monsters, items, environmental traps) and tighten up the controls. As it stands, it was a bit difficult to get the hero to go where I wanted, and sometimes the secondary weapon would fire when I wanted the main weapon. Might suggest making the secondary weapon map to a different key than the shoot button, but that's just me.

I have plans for some items and more monsters, and the current monsters aren't even working like how I'll like. I need to think up some enviromental traps though. As I said before, I'm going to try out the "Hold Up Arrow & Press Z" method of alt fire.

Thanks again. Your comments will be useful. Smiley

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 06:12:25 AM »

Use the down key for special attacks, unless you intended to map it to something else. As it stands it doesn't do anything.

-SirNiko
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »

This looks absolutely badsauce.

Keep up the good work.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »

(Clicky)

I've gotten a little progress, tried to get it to run better on my netbook to little avail. Redid how it draws pixels by making an array at start-time of them and just drawing that... no speed increase. I realize that this is a friggin netbook and can't even play psychonauts well soo I'm not gonna worry about slow-downs and just keep forging ahead.

Anyways, noticeable improvements are that I made a bar over your head as you hold down to charge your alt attack, and the longer you hold it down the:
Mage - higher you jump
Archer - higher your arrow goes
Warrior - more damage you do

Today I want to start working on the items that give boosts. I'm heavily debating whether or not to have an inventory screen! So I'm going to start connecting variables for which to make items boost and stuff. And then start stringing together levels to form a game.

I've been getting alot of good feedback and encouragement, so thanks. Smiley I really hope I make something presentable by January!

rogerlevy
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »

what are you using to do render the graphics, if you don't mind me asking?  Gentleman
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »

I made my own special functions to make it draw like that, it was nothing pre-made. I'm programming in BlitzMax.

What my functions do is load images and then go through them pixel-by-pixel and decide which should be drawn and at what color. It stores THAT data, not the actual images, and then when it goes to draw it draws each pixel as a 8x8 block. Blocks which I generate at run-time to have different colors.

*edit* Because I control how pixels are drawn, I can tell the editor to draw them smaller for a zoomed out view very easily.

Oh, yeah that heart restores 5 HP. A larger heart increases the max HP by 5 and restores all your health. Yep, getting started adding pick ups. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:21:09 PM by Galaxy613 » Logged

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »

I have a request... feel free to ignore it if you like...

But this would be awesome with a Super Game Boy style - fake GB system border around the game screen.

AUST
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »

I have a request... feel free to ignore it if you like...

But this would be awesome with a Super Game Boy style - fake GB system border around the game screen.
It would be neat but I don't think anyone made any assets like that.
(Though he could probably make one at runtime)

hi
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »

It would be neat but I don't think anyone made any assets like that.
(Though he could probably make one at runtime)

Crap. Totally spaced on the whole "Assemblee" thing for a moment.

Well, I guess I can dream.

AUST
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 12:04:43 AM »

I bet with some cleverness it could be accomplished Smiley It would be pretty difficult though.

Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 06:32:48 AM »

I bet with some cleverness it could be accomplished Smiley It would be pretty difficult though.

Indeed. But as-is I've already run out of vertical space on my netbook which I'm programming it on. And the actual resolution isn't close to actual Gameboy Res so it'll take alot of tweaking to make it look right... Putting a fake gameboy cover, as Saluk said, would take some cleverness and I could possibly do it when I've finished the game. It's a fun idea, but I'll like to knock out the gameplay some more before such things.
 Beer!

Today I think I'll work on the editor some more (notably, the ablity to place different types of pick ups) and maybe release Alpha 3 because a decent amount of changes have been done since Alpha 2. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:03:15 PM by Galaxy613 » Logged

Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 05:03:25 PM »

What this?

Could it be a scroll that gives +1 damage?

It IS a scroll that gives you +1 damage! And 500 points!

Not shown: Ghosts that float. Small & Large hearts, and a Scroll that unlocks alternate fire (aka a "New Technique!") Also it apparently works just fine on Windows 7.

Mark your calendars! Tomorrow I'll put out a new build! :D

I'm going to remake the levels and put in a progression!

** EDIT TWICE

Made the successful completion screen. :D Now onto making some serious maps, not these maplets you guys have seen...

LarderOwl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 06:24:35 AM »

Is it just me or is mediafire not working?
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »

It's working for me. Shrug

hellsong91
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 08:24:37 AM »

very cool man.. very cool ^^
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »

Alpha 3 is ready for testing! (Links in first post, as always.)

Some notable additions:
4 different pick-ups!
2 Completely new levels! (The second one is visibly not finished at all!)
1 New Enemy!

Seriously tho, I just threw together the second level and it's only 1/3rd as big as I want it to be. Now that there's actual levels, I would LOVE feedback on how each of the classes play. I personally think the Warrior class is unwieldy, what with both wizards and archers having good ranges and decent attacks. The Warrior class is woefully under powered which once you get your alt fire shouldn't be such an issue...

Enough talk by me, please at least try it out! Smiley

Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »

The irony if when I need and ask for input I get none, but when I don't, I get amazing input. Shrug

Up next I want to add some new enemies with more interesting attacks and improve the AI a bit. Then I'll work on more stuff to make levels more interesting.

Here's a screenshot of the archer's path on the first level.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic