Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:06:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Quest! [FINISHED!] [WIN + MAC + LINUX!]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Quest! [FINISHED!] [WIN + MAC + LINUX!]  (Read 27433 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »

I didn't have any problem playing as the warrior class, but if you want to change it I'd say give the warrior an even shorter range, slightly stronger attacks, and an armor point that absorbs one hit then recharges after x seconds.  That would make the warrior's objective to wait between attacks, rush up and slice away before he takes more than one hit.

I offer this idea since right now the idea for warrior is to stand slightly out of range and slice with your slightly larger range attack, and to me it still feels like a ranged class.

hi
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »

Quite nice but a few niggles:

It's constanstly slugging at 6 to 9 FPS. Are you using shaders mayhaps?

Also, if you can, please do not block the X on the window. If I click that I want the window to close.

Maybe have the warrior a sword to slash with, so he has to stand near the opponent?
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 02:50:56 AM »

I didn't have any problem playing as the warrior class, but if you want to change it I'd say give the warrior an even shorter range, slightly stronger attacks, and an armor point that absorbs one hit then recharges after x seconds.  That would make the warrior's objective to wait between attacks, rush up and slice away before he takes more than one hit.

I offer this idea since right now the idea for warrior is to stand slightly out of range and slice with your slightly larger range attack, and to me it still feels like a ranged class.

For what it's worth I started playing this way with the warrior but with the handy placement of health powerups and huge hp pool I found the most effective style was to jump literally on top of the enemies and whack away as fast as possible. As a melee class it's loads more fun so maybe the range reduction would encourage a more unique identity. I've not tried the mage yet so I'll have a quick bash with that.

EDIT: Yeah, the mage feels balanced but also individual. Loads of firepower but having to take lots more care. On the whole I think they all stack up pretty well as different classes. Finding it really entertaining so far  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:00:58 AM by Widget » Logged
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 04:47:18 AM »

It's painfully slow.... about 6fps here, which is way too little as for what is shown on the screen.
I suggest:
Eat RAM, not CPU

LarderOwl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »

Is it supposed to only run at 10 fps?
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2009, 07:46:19 PM »

Yes. It's when it gets to 3-5fps that it gets unplayable, but that should only happen on netbooks...

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2009, 07:02:47 AM »

Yes. It's when it gets to 3-5fps that it gets unplayable, but that should only happen on netbooks...

I heard that on a 3.33Ghz Quad Core with a 3+ GB DX11 GPU you can get closer to 15 FPS. Time to upgrade, people!  Hand Money LeftDurr...?Hand Money Right

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Syniphas
Level 0

feh.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »

There are some platform issues, such as getting stuck in blocks mid-fall.

For example, when you're falling off a ledge and push back into it mid-fall, you stop at the wall as if a floor supported you.

or else!
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »

There are some platform issues, such as getting stuck in blocks mid-fall.

For example, when you're falling off a ledge and push back into it mid-fall, you stop at the wall as if a floor supported you.

Thanks for reminding me. :D That bug allows you to wall-jump.

Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »

I think the holidays took us all by surprise, though I'm happy to say I will be making the deadline.  Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right

^ The beginnings of the boss battle.

I'm working on core features that MUST be in, and then I'm going to go back and spend the rest of the time designing the levels. Almost done with the engine!

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 12:02:41 AM »

This is looking good! Really digging the style. Though I almost wish it was more zoomed out so there is more of a stragegy/maneuverability. Currently in many cases it just comes down to standing in front of an enemy and jumping to avoid their shots while shooting at them. I mean, that describes 80% of the games out there, but since this is so zoomed in and slow-paced, it lacks some strategy as far deciding where and when to jump, etc.  Maybe you could play around with timing and pace to make it feel a bit snappier.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »

This is looking good! Really digging the style. Though I almost wish it was more zoomed out so there is more of a stragegy/maneuverability. Currently in many cases it just comes down to standing in front of an enemy and jumping to avoid their shots while shooting at them. I mean, that describes 80% of the games out there, but since this is so zoomed in and slow-paced, it lacks some strategy as far deciding where and when to jump, etc.  Maybe you could play around with timing and pace to make it feel a bit snappier.

Here's how it looks with a more Gameboy-correct size:

I think I actually like this better. I will have to do some resizing/recentering of text and stuff though.

*Edit* And here is how it looks at true 160x144 gameboy resolution:

As 90% of images are drawn staticly (no per-pixel effects) I'm going to add even more pre-cached images. This will hopefully help it run better..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:04:21 PM by Galaxy613 » Logged

Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 07:37:52 AM »

Because no one responded, I assume everybody LOVES the new resolution and I can continue on.

Today is the last day of signifgant work, and I still need to make a entire level and finish level 2. Plus finish the Centaur and Dragon bosses X.X Plus that new Gameboy-correct size is having slow-down problems on level 2... I think I'm going to try to hunt down the problem of that first and then work on the levels later.

LET'S MAKE THIS TRANSPIRE Cool

*Edit* Fixed the Centaur, polished level 1.. Finished the Character Select Screen.

Now onto actual level designing!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:32:20 PM by Galaxy613 » Logged

Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 08:52:23 PM »

IS RELEASED!

Windows is compiled and uploaded, and Intel Mac OSX version coming real soon! Linux version when I feel like it tomorrow! As-always, see FIRST POST for links!

This was intense. My Word!

*Edit* I've encounted a sound-bug while compiled on OSX... I can not release that yet. Sorry Mac-owners Sad I'll try to fix it as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:03:55 PM by Galaxy613 » Logged

Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »

All 3 platforms are supported now. Happy gaming! Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »

Got to try this one out. It's awesome how you made it feel like a really old-school portable game (with a really big screen) and the game's actually fairly fun.

The first boss fight was just ridiculously easy though. The last one was a bit more challenging but only if you're not careful. They could use a bit more oomph to them.

Played as the mage. I was surprised that his special was a high jump. I was expecting something like a screen clearing attack. The level design is also pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:38:48 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »

Thanks. :D

The bosses were REALLY hard to balance, they are the easist for the Mage, but for the Archer and Warrior they are harder, and Warrior is the hardest. BUT! Archers and Warriors can get criticals on the bosses. (1 in 10 chance) That said, I'm still uneasy about how they turned out, but I think I tried my best that I can right now. Concerned

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 04:04:28 PM »

I think the trick would be to give them more attacks and patterns, with different patterns fit to give different classes a harder time. For example, against the mage the first boss could have slightly guided projectiles to predate the mage's lack of mobility.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Virus610
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »

Played through it as an archer. I did encounter that collision bug with getting stuck, but aside from that and the camera, everything went smoothly. Love the Gameboy look and feel. Well done. :D
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »

Can't download, MediaFire crashes my browser. Got an alternative download location?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic